“humble but homey”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Megeve
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“humble but homey”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I did not hesitate one second when I found great flights for mom and me to Geneva and then on to Megeve...snow, fondue and elegant mountain charm here we come. With no school holiday in sight, worry about a hotel was nonexistent. Little did I know and about 10 requests later I was at a loss for sleeping options. My usual favorites had no availability (faithful guest or not) and slowly we climbed down the list of stars, charm and quality till we finally(and luckily) found a room at the Vieux Moulin, a 3 star in the center de ville. The internet displayed a cute chalet style house with comfy rooms in wood and an outdoor pool (summer only). Tripadvisor reviews were pretty happy.
Check in starts rather late at the Vieux, so we spend a deliciously long lunch over our 1. Fondue and arrived punctually at 4 at the reception desk. The 1. Impression was not too excited, as the general ambiance of the foyer lacks the traditional mountain mood and warm charm. Yet the girl at the desk was very nice and courteous and once we moved into our humble yet cozy room we felt great. Sadly there is no intimate public area (neither the foyer which could be a most charming living-room, nor the breakfast area which is a somewhat barren space) inviting for afternoon or evening lounging. Crackling fires, deep sofas, gingham cloth... just the usual mountain chic is missing. It could be described as just simple. Our chamber however was absolutely fine: a ground floor corner room(standard) with wooden accents, a small bathroom with a shower and our private balcony leading to the hotel's own backyard car-park. (A great plus)
There is an adjoining restaurant which I remember from the past as some very hip and noisy bar-eateria. Now calmed down, it yet still emits some confused energy, an odd mix of modern black tables with beige country chairs, homemade jams and an array of different fairy lights. It just does not feel right, so we never ate there.
Enjoying a beautiful walk in the village and a fine meal at "The Torrent" we returned late to jump into bed. That's when I realized that our room seemed cold somehow, even with the heater on. There was a tiny draft lingering around my lower back...since it was late already I did not manage to arrange for an extra blanket that night.
Just recovering from some kidney sensitivities, I surely was more delicate to the slightest cold than normally and so I ended up sleeping with layers of cloth on top of me. Only next morning I realized that the cold came from the two outer walls and the ground floor. Yet, my mom had felt nothing, so it had to do with my late health issues.
When asking for help at the reception we immediately ended up with a bunch of extra blankets, but I was not convinced. No messing with my kidneys and so we asked for another room. But of course, also the Vieux was fully booked. I checked if we could move out if I would find another hotel, but we were kindly advised that we still would have to pay a certain amount. Policy of the hotel.
That's when the charming owner arrived and agreed to let us change hotel to no extra cost. Very nice! But luck was on holiday too it seemed and from the dozen of hotels I called, not one had a room for us.
No luck, or so I thought, just before the owner arranged for us to be moved to a superior room, at no extra cost.
We now had upgraded to a very spacious cupboard, bathroom with bathtub and best of all - no cold draft.
We spend 5 more relaxing nights at the Vieux Moulin and even though it lacks our so beloved mountain cuteness, the lovely female staff and the very helpful and hospitable owner made up for everything. By the end we almost felt home.
The breakfast is rather simple and there is no room service.(That could be something to add for the future, as it should also create some extra revenues) Internet connection is very slow, but that is very common around here.
The rooms and common areas are very clean.
The hotel has amazing potential and with just a bit of a loving touch it probably could become an all-time favorite of Megeve.
Would I come back? Maybe...at least for the people that make this hotel very special. I guess, if one is a dedicated ski bunny and only cares for the piste, the Vieux Moulin is a perfect base.
I recommend to book a superior room. They are perfect in size and convenience and very homey.
Room 27 seems to be a bit colder.

____________________________________

Room Tip: Superior rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After staying in Au Vieux Moulin a feeling of incompleted skiing holiday ramained. Actually only the location and some special sales for ski rental were worthy. Better to go somewhere else as the price of the stay was unreasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IgorKuchin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

i've stayed in lots of hotels in france and haven't always been impressed but this one singl-handedly changed my impressions. friendly, helpful staff; clean and comfortable rooms, and a decent breakfast to boot! what more can a group of hungry cyclists ask ;-)

Room Tip: the triples defitely adequate for a group of mates
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I didn't know what to expect, after the mixed reviews. Well, expect the best! a charming, warm hotel, with mountain rooms and a cozy feeling in public places. You will want to relax in the comfortable armchairs, and the independent restaurant is good enough that you won't want to leave the premises of the hotel, though it is in the very center of Megève, close to everything you may need.
Our room was all covered in wood, with a radiator that can be adapted to personal needs, a modern and spacious bathroom and the most comfortable bed for relaxing your tired muscles after a day of skying.
There is also a spa, though we did not use it.
The service is very kind and helpful, but we didn't really need concierge service nor advices.
Breakfast was also nice, continental style, with delicious croissants.
All in all, I highly recommend this hotel, which has a reasonable price for its location and size of rooms.

1 Thank Eliane_60
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay here (March 2012) in a Superior room with a balcony, The hotel staff were welcoming and very friendly. Room 46 was on the second floor and was at the front of the property overlooking the pool and car car park.

The room was spacious and had plenty of wardrobe space with a safe. The mini bar prices were pretty cheap compared to other hotels. The bathroom had a nice big bath which was great for a soak after hitting the slops. We used the heated towel rail which to dry our ski gloves and tops overnight.

The bed was very comfortable and I slept so well here, my only issue was the duvet was way too warm for me. The best feature of the room was the balcony which gets the afternoon sun, a fantastic spot to get a few rays with a cold beer before heading into town.

The hotel breakfast's were a continental style buffet (all cold food except boiled eggs). This was fine for us as plenty to choose from and quality was good. Breakfast doesn't start until 8am which we found late as the ski bus goes at 8.40am which was a 10 min walk so we had to rush. We did head down the next day at 7.45am and people were already eating so my advice is just to head down when you are ready.

The location is fantastic and a 2 min walk into town and 7 mins to the town ski lift if you choose to ski at that side of the mountain (great for kids and ski school), or 10 mins walk to the ski bus stop to get to other side of the mountain.

Overall we had a great stay here and would definitely return. Good value for money compared to other hotels in Megeve and very nice staff.

Room Tip: Book a Superior room with balcony to get more space
2 Thank ChrisJames204
West Jefferson, North Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Very comfortable room and bed. Lovely balcony and right in the heart of the village so that we could walk to everything. Excellent breakfast and lovely dinner. Staff was super helpful and patient.

Room Tip: A nice room can be had facing the street as you'll be able to hear the river running by as you g...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, in a superior room, and were very pleased with everything. The rooms are refurnished and very clean. The staff is friendly and they serve great breakfast! We were snowboarding everyday and the hotel is only 2 minutes away from the telepherique.
Would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Superior room is worth the extra mile..
1 Thank SibelYuruten