“February 2013”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Megeve
Atlanta
“February 2013”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

You simply can't get any warmer service than I had at Le Gai Soleil. I took a shuttle from Geneva and it broke down a few miles from Megeve. I called the hotel and asked if they could give me the name of a taxi service. They said they would all be busy but called me back and said that the chef was coming to pick me up!! Amazing! It is within walking distance to everything! My room was charming and the meals were very good. Breakfast and dinner included. At first I thought I would prefer to explore the nearby restaurants, but this worked out quite well. They had my place set every night and took any special requests the day or morning before. I met some wonderful guests and enjoyed a simply marvelous weekend in Megeve. I had never skied before....and I am not young so I knew I was being a bit daring! I went downhill skiing with an instructor from ESF (Florian, I highly recommend him) and went snowshoeing the next day with the Megeve guides. Both were great! I thought the snowshoeing would be boring but it was anything but that! They take you into neat little areas, up and down the mountain, following trails, pointing out animals in the distance and intriguing sights.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
UK
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We've just spent a week at the Gai Soleil and were pleasantly surprised. Our room was quite basic but at the same time was very clean. Being a family room, it had a separate bunk bedded room which our daughter found a bit of a novelty. The bathroom had been updated and had a half size bath. Slight downside was a very small double bed which meant it was too short in length and we couldn't stretch out. There were a couple of occasions when the room got cold after 7pm when the heating went off. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and the food was delicious with 5 courses. Breakfast was plentiful altho I would have liked to have seen porridge served. Both the waitresses and Cecilie were extremely helpful and always had a smile on their faces. Location to the village was reasonably good but would be quite a trek if wearing ski boots. The pavements are never properly cleared of snow and ice, and the walk was quite treacherous at times. We rented some ski equipment from Chamois sports, right beside the Chamois gondola, and they were able to keep our skis/boots at the end of each day. All in, this was a very friendly and homely hotel and is much more deserving than the 2 stars it currently has. We enjoyed our stay and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for reasonably priced accommodation in a lovely location. Megeve itself is very expensive, but this hotel proves it doesn't have to be. The number of returning customers shows it has a winning formula.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a big bed!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melton Mowbray
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of 8 adults for a short ski break. Not having been to the resort before, I was unsure what to expect, but it couldn't have worked out better. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor (as always) and am pleased to report that everything that has been said is true. The hotel is in a good location with a short walk into the town centre and to the nearest ski lift. Even better, the ski hire shop they recommend is right at the bottom of the Chamois lift, which is the easiest route in and out of the resort. The ski hire shop will look after your shoes while you're skiing, so you don't even have to walk in and out of town in your ski boots! The hotel restaurant is excellent value at €25 a head, which you won't beat in the town centre restaurants. We were also really pleased with the staff, who were very helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We asked if we could use a room to change in after a morning's skiing on the day we checked out which they very kindly agreed to, at no extra charge. We would definitely recommend the Gai Soleil and would be very happy to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the winter and when it snowed, the snow ploughs were pretty noisy very early in the mor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 28LadyC
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Excellent location, friendly staff and very reasonable prices

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend and wish we had stayed longer, the family atmosphere in this cosy hotel makes you feel at home as soon as you step into the hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

If you want a truly family run business who are warm, friendly, attentitive of your needs then look no further. We have been visiting Megeve for 12 years and spent 6 years of it at the Gai Soleil.

There are car parking spaces, a pool (open in the summer), a jacuzzi to take away aches and pains all complemented by exceptionally good food made by Alan. Cecile runs the hotel when Mdme Mottram is not in town. The service/food is often compared as significantly better than other higher stared hotels in the area.

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good location, quite, yet 5 min walk to megeve center and ski lift, extremely helpful stuff, will tell everything you need to know and book whatever you need or want, tasty breakfast and dinner, great bad although smalish room, all in all excellent value for money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Excellent place to visit in summer, good for walking, horse riding, golf and close to other places such as Mont Blanc, Pras D'arly Annecy

Room Tip: Choose a south west facing room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family