“Fairy tale stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Megeve
Moscow, Russia
“Fairy tale stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Very cosy and elegant hotel. Beautifuly furnished in alpine traditional style. Every room is different.
Service is premier class.
The location is very convenient, just two blocks away from Megeve center

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I struggle to understand how this otherwise lovely alpine hotel got 5 stars with so many structural problems combined with a feeling like they are being cheap with certain services. While it may have been down to just bad luck, there were other guests who, having spent the week there as well, would not go back for the very same reasons we would hesitate.

Despite this, I think they could resolve a lot of the problems and I would be willing to give them another chance.

We took a Chambre Superieur which was very roomy and nicely appointed. But that is where the problems began:
1. The bed had springs sticking into our backs so the mattress needed to be changed.
2. There was a sofa bed in the sitting area which was so badly constructed, when we sat on it, the cushions would roll off, making it almost un-seatable.
3. The lighting was poor...we stayed at the Lodge Park the year before and the darkness (which we were told adds to the ambiance) was so frustrating that I kept on having to move lamps to my closet in order to see what was in it
4. And this is the worst part...our wc smelled like backed up sewage pipes and the toilet seat was broken..as we arrived on Saturday, the toilet seat could not be fixed until Monday but even on Monday, when we were told it was fixed, it was in fact, still broken. The stench in the wc was so bad that we could not even use it for the whole week. Every night the staff put a new round of chemicals down the bidet drain to eliminate the odour but by morning, it stank.

The manager told us that another room would be available Wednesday at the same rate but the room was much smaller and I did not think it would solve our problems as it was on the ground floor and was not worth packing everything up to find out the room was no good.

5. The noise was also unbearable. Our room was adjacent to a lift. And while I asked the woman who showed us to the room if the lift noise was ever a problem, she said it was not. Every morning we heard the lift from about 6:30, screaming children in the room on the other side, and loud water pipes starting to hiss as early as 5am with more children running around in family rooms above our heads by 7am.

Of course all but the stench in the toilet were discounted by management as being very unusual. But having become friends with a lovely French family across the hall, they had the very same complaints and moved to this hotel because of the noise issue in their previous hotel.

6. Now the restaurant. I find it totally galling that after paying 600 Euros a night for half board, I am charged extra if I want eggs. I also could not believe that with all the fantastic quality dairy products, that the yogurts they used were full of artificial flavours. Even the eggs were inconsistently cooked...the man who was cooking eggs one day did a perfect job, the woman who was cooking them on the other day could not fry or poach and egg for love nor money. Having said that, the meats and cheeses and juices were very good and the bread was outstanding.
Dinner was another issue. At the Lodge Park (and granted that they do not offer half board anymore), one could order dinner off the entire menu. Here, half board meant you could only choose from a set menu and if you wanted to eat from the a la carte menu, you would have to pay a supplement of 50% of the value of the item. Who invented this policy and why does the hotel think this is reasonable or even pleasant to be presented with? The cheese board and dessert buffet were excellent.

7. The Spa was lovely and although I could never get a treatment when I wanted, I heard great things about them. The pool area was great though the hot tub was never hot. I was sternly informed that the temperature was always kept at between 31-34 degrees but this is in fact below body temperature so it never really felt like a relaxing soak and in fact is 3-4 degrees above manufacturers recommended temperature.

8. While the staff, on balance, were very very gracious, management seemed indignant. Having been trapped in this room for a week, I told the front desk manager that I would expect some kind of adjustment to reflect that part of my room was in fact, unusable notwithstanding the other issues. She took 250 Euros or about 5% off my bill...in the end, after sending a similar comment to the Directeur, they adjusted it further but this is not what I came to this hotel for. I came to relax, eat well, ski and sleep. For that I was willing to pay the price.

On the way out, we looked at other rooms...the bathrooms did not smell so we were extremely unlucky but I would still be very concerned about the noise as it was rampant and I felt management were being frugal with customers on half board with the extra charges and some cutting of quality corners.

Yet I would like to come back if I knew they were working on these issues because overall it is a beautifully appointed hotel and the common areas are really lovely.

I do hope they sort all this out. I know I have essentially contradicted many reviewers here and maybe they were travelling outside school holidays but I would not rate this hotel 5 stars...yet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hwicky
Pelham, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Megeve is a terrific ski area and Le Fer a Cheval is truly a world class hotel in a lovely mountain setting. Service is impeccable and the rooms are lovely. Even minor requests were treated with eager and efficient dispatch. You could see the staff's willingness to provide guests with every need as they rushed between tasks without ever letting that urgency rush the guests. Top level amenities including separate tub and shower combine a rustic appearance with luxury. I stayed in a two room suite with two balconies. This room would comfortably hold a family of four. Truly a relaxing mountain getaway with all the trimmings.

Room Tip: I have stayed in three rooms, all great but particularly liked room two which has a separate entranc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gosnold10
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I don't know the Hotel Le Fer à Cheval, but the restaurant is a disaster !
French arrogance, poor service, food not fresh. It means below average. Mediocre.
It was a very bad surprise, because this restaurant was presented as the place " you have to be" in Megève.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were there on February for 7 days skiing a family with 2 children 8 and 10 years old.
We had a wonderful time.Fer a Cheval is one of the best mountain hotels I have ever been.Big comfortable rooms great lounge area an excellent restaurant.Hotel offers cars to take you to the ski area and bring you back any time of the day.A big inside pool a gym and a spa wait for you after a day on the slopes.Everyone was very helpful and polite excluded the owner that was unmannerly.A hotel like this of course was quite expensive but it was worth every euro.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I just passed a spontaneously wonderful weekend to resource in the mountains with friends and family at Le Fer a Cheval. The whole experience was positive in all categories. I look forward to going back in the winter.

Room Tip: The restaurant is amazing so definitely count on eating there as much as possible. Try the water bik...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter and I were looking for a 4 or 5 stars Hotel in Megève, which could let us enjoy its SPA, heated pool, sauna and hammam area. Finally, we found "Le Fer à Cheval", a 4 stars Hotel, which was offering a 2 hours package inside their SPA area, during the quite period of the day, for 60 Euro per adult and 30 Euro per child.
The staff were very helpful, friendly and helpful, We were positively surprised by how clean and good looking was the entire SPA area. The heated pool and the jacuzzi were just perfect and we really could enjoy and relax during those 2 hours. Even if the price is quite high for such a short time, it fully worths it. Therefore, I will come back.

So, to resume what we lived :

Positive points :
--------------------

1) Very clean SPA.
2) Not too much people, as we came during the quite hours of the day (between 11:30 - 13:30).
3) Friendly and helpful staff.
4) Towels, bathrobe and special shoes are provided.
5) Tea offered upon arrival.

Points to be improved :
-----------------------------

1) To install a white screen for the video that are actually shown on the wall.
2) To allow kids to jump if there is nobody around that can be disturbed !

Well, that's it. I'll soon add some photos of the SPA area, so that you can have a clear view of how it looks like.

Enjoy like we did, I'll be back ;-)

Room Tip: Use the time between 11:00 until 16:00 to visit the SPA as much more quiet then !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family