“Lovely welcome, peaceful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alpaga

Alpaga
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Megeve
Cambridge
“Lovely welcome, peaceful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were touring Switzerland and France and had reached Megeve early evening. We made our booking (for 2 nights) half an hour before we arrived and we were very warmly welcomed. The setting is just outside Megeve and was very peaceful but there is a shuttle if you want to go into town. The jazz competition in Megeve was good fun and the town is delightful for strolling around. All the hotel staff were very helpful, especially Guillaume and nothing was too much trouble. Would have given it a 5 star rating all round but had a few minor problems with restaurant service (e.g having to point out there were no plates left on the breakfast buffet even though restaurant was not full), something you don't expect in a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much to share your comments.
We really appreciate receiving some feedbacks from our guests, not only to strengthen our purpose to serve all of you the best way, but also to improve where necessary.
Warmest Regards from L'Alpaga and, once again, thank you very much!
Directeur Général

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I normally do not write reviews, but this place is definitely worth being commented on.
Rooms, ambiance of the hotel were very nice. The service was very friendly and personal but not too much. The pricing was very reasonable as well. I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

This was a trip with my husband, but I have seen, that they are also very friendly to families with kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate receiving your review and we are delighted to know you had a very pleasant stay with us.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Alpaga!
Very Best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Thank yo for our amazing stay in Megeve'elegant, profesional, restaurant very consistent, all team kindly and ever present for all oír need's very charming hotel

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Alpaga.
It is pleasing to receive comments such as yours and to know that we are caring for our guest properly.
Kind Regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We spent only one week-end night with my wife (end June) and I would say that overall it was a good experience. By the way (for TripAdvisor) between 'Average' and 'Very good' ranking, there is (in my opinion) 'Good'!
So, when you book hotels of this category (5*), you have some expectations. In our case, we had a few disapointments (details?). Starting with the service. Although we had a nice welcome and the first impression at the reception was good, we noticed quickly that part of the staff (Bar and Breakfast service) was quite inexperienced. In 2 occasions we had to ask twice to be served. Also, breakfast buffet was quite disappointing in terms of choice and supply. Although it was a quiet period, we had to request for various things to be brought: more bread, butter. Didn't have Earl Grey tea :( Finally, milk coffee & Cappuccino are really not at the expected quality standard.
Regarding the room (deLuxe), 2 small points: Balcony door very difficult to handle (even for some of the staff!), Wi-Fi signal quite bad (up & down all the time). Otherwise, very comfortable bedding and nice atmosphere in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SophiaPierre
Dear Guest,
Thank you for dedicating your time to share with us some feedbacks about your last stay.
Regarding the points you highlighted, we assure you that we have made the necessary to improve the quality of our services and products.
We are extremely concerned about the satisfaction of our guests and we are looking forward to welcome you again at the Alpaga.
Best Regards,
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I am surprised to read some of the previous reviews. Our experience at the Alpaga was generally good. The majority of the staff were very helpful. This is a really nice hotel in a nice area in a nice ski resort.

The room was lovely with an amazing bathroom and we really enjoyed the spa - I don't really understand any of the comments about this. It was spotless and yes the water is warm but it is freezing outside and we have all just been skiing - why wouldn't you want the water to be warm!

The only point for improvement would be within the restaurant. We had to advise the staff each of the four mornings we were there which room we were in - surely they could have learnt after the first time and remembered our names! My girlfriend is a vegetarian and even though we explained all of this to the lady in charge in detail things were still arriving with meat on. We never had tea and coffee offered at breakfast, and when we asked the tea would be delivered in random teapots - we never had one where the lid fitted. These are really minor things, but this is a 5* hotel, and it needs to dramatically improve its service - no one seemed to really be in charge.

The other point would be the shuttle bus in the evenings. A taxi is insanely expensive - 25 Euro for a five minute trip, they are out of town and need to extend it's times.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DLTW
Oosterzele-Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Upon arrival, we took lunch in the bar. Service was appalling. Mistakes in the order of wine - and we are French speakers (Belgian), very unhandy waitress. Had no experience whatsoever. She took the glasses with her full hand by the top of the glass. Very unprofessional and not hygienic.
The hotel room for my mother was very good. The chalet for 4 people was a disaster. Small - way to small bathroom - even for 2 people, this was too small. All the beds were of the worst quality we ever slept in. We had backaches and changed beds every night.
The fridge was dirty when we moved in.
The staf in the restaurant was also not professionally trained hotel staff. They picked them up from Poland or so. Not that we have problems with that, but they needed hotel training very badly. Cups were brought without saucer, cups were held by the rim (jakky), they forgot to ask if we would have any coffee or tea. We waited for ages, then we asked for it ourselves at the bar.
When they removed snow in the afternoon - on 2 days - they used a very noisy machine and had ice blocks catapulted upon our terrace and against the window.
The "pool" is not a real pool - it has very strong jets from the side which makes swimming impossible. The area and amenities were very clean however.
Then location is also very bad - we had to take the shuttle bus to get into the village. In the are of the hotel, no nice strolls or walks to be made. Shuttle only works until 20pm. Parking in the village is a disaster. So when you want to dine in the hotel om Monday - during high season - the restaurant is closed!!!
We were more tired upon leaving than upon arrival. No more Alpaga - our bet is this hotel won't last that long.
From very experienced travellers

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank VdK-ers
soniaperreau, directrice commerciale at Alpaga, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, I thank you for your feedback and I would like to take a moment to answer your comment. We are aware of all the points you mentionned and we sincerely apologize if you think our service was poor and your chalet mediocre. We work on a day to day basis to give the best service to our clients. It seems from the first day to the last day, your stay has been just a disaster. We do feel very sorry for that and we do consider all your comments.

I just want to inform you that our staff is professional and trained to our house. We do work with french people in the restaurant and in the event, we would have worked with foreign people in the restaurant or service which is not the case, they would have the same training and level of service dedicated to everyone. There is no diffenrence.
If for some reason, a staff member has made a mess on his service for you, we can assure you that this never happen twice in our property.
We do take care of all our guests and make sure our staff give all attention to them.
It would have been great to meet you before you leave the property so that we could have hear from you before. Sadly, I think there is no wonder that you'll give us a second chance.
And I feel sorry for that.
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband and I travel extensively and have stayed in countless hotels all over the world, from budget to five star and beyond, and I've never felt compelled to write a tripadvisor review until now. The experience we just had at the Alpaga was disappointing, to put it mildly.

I'll start with the good: it is in a beautiful setting, the rooms are well-appointed, and the overall feel of the hotel is comfortable "luxury" (they do have fake flowers in the bar area, but fine, I can overlook stuff like that). Unfortunately, the service we experienced was not that of a five star hotel.

The first night we were there, I was awoken at around 6 a.m. due to banging noises that proceeded to last until around noon. Our room was located in the chalet with the restaurant, and was just above it. I'm assuming that was the reason for all of the noise. I called twice before 8 a.m. to let them know about the noise. The first time, their response was "Oh, well, we'll look into it later when you are no longer in the room." That wasn't very helpful so I called again about 30 minutes later and politely requested and re-explained the problem (in perfect French). I asked if it was possible to get a room change to one that was not located above the restaurant. Their response this time was "Well, we'll see, we will let you know." I didn't hear anything from them all morning, so around noon I go down to reception to see about getting a room change. I inquired again, and their reaction was "We've never had any complaints about noise before." Ok, I find that impossible to believe, but nonetheless, if a guest has a problem with a room, the response from a five star hotel should be: We apologize, what can we do to hopefully rectify the situation? Anyway, we finally get another room, and they tell us we absolutely have to be out by check out time at noon the next day because there is a couple coming with a baby. No problem at all, of course we'll be out by check out time. The room was much quieter, so that was nice and I slept amazingly well. We go to breakfast the next morning, and come back to our room at 11 a.m. to see that they had installed a crib in our room while we were gone. How unbelievably passive aggressive!! We go to check out, and the person at the reception desk asks how our stay was. I say "Do you really want to know?" And he says "What, terrible?" I respond, "Not terrible, but disappointing at times." He says NOTHING. Doesn't ask why, doesn't apologize, nothing. And keep in mind we just dropped 500 euro per night to stay here. I have no problem spending a lot of money on hotels, and we've easily spent three times that amount many times, but I expect, at the very least, decent service when I do so. I could not believe how rudely we were treated.

I would not recommend this hotel due to poor customer service and lack of value for the price. Look elsewhere for your stay in beautiful Megève.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Chalet with the restaurant; or better yet, save your money and stay elsewhere.