“Food and service leaves much to be desired.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Comptoir Abel

Cafe Comptoir Abel
Ranked #74 of 3,203 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Singapore, Singapore
“Food and service leaves much to be desired.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Abel is recommended in most Lyon guides as the oldest bouchon. Apart from the ambience which was indeed quaint and very charming, the food is not a good representation of Lyonnese culinary standards.

I had tried to make reservation for one person for the first sitting but it was full and the earliest I got was at 10pm. Upon reaching earlier at 930pm, it was busy but not full. Despite empty tables, the staff could not acede to my request to a table by the wall so I had to sit in the middle of the dining room.

I ordered the 2nd dinner set (€30) and chose for my appetizer artichoke with fois gras and for mains - fish dumpling. Unfortunately it is not fois gras but more pate. Fortunately it was rather tasty and went well with the clean tasting artichoke. Presentation was poor though.

The fish dumpling is probably one of the most overrated dishes here. It's a dish that is more flour and cream than fish.

I had the apple tart for dessert which was too sweet and not very good.

Overall it was a poor dining experience in a somewhat charming ambience. Can't recommend this to anyone.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank keiragopi

San Diego, California
“extremely small but absolutely delicious authentic Lyonnaise food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

the food was the best we had in Lyon. The atmosphere is very old and you feel like you've stepped back in time. We loved it!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Arktck S
Lyon, France
“Great meal at a classic bouchon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went with a friend to this restaurant because I heard that this was the oldest bouchon lyonnais so I needed to see what it was all about. The place is very small and the waiters are very busy but the food was great. We both got the menu at 39€ of three courses. I had foie gras with toast, chicken with morel mushrooms, and a demi St Marcellin. The chicken, and more specifically the sauce was superb. The cheese was great and my friend got a fondant au chocolat that was really great also. The only negative aspect of this meal was the fact that we could barely move after leaving the restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
Marion Bridge, Nova Scotia
“Delicious traditional meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Not to be missed. Quenelles were excellent and the foie gras was the best we have ever had. The wait staff was very helpful in guiding us through the menu.

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh, the Quenelle!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Based on recommendations from Rick Steves' book and David Lebovitz's blog, my sister and I recently ate here to get the taste of a traditional Lyonnais buchon. The atmosphere was cozy, the service prompt, and the food was amazing. For the first course, we had the artichoke salad with foie gras and the salade lyonnaise. Both were delicious and the serving of foie gras was very generous. For the main course, we had the quenelle and the rognons de veau. We had a bit of a lost in translation moment with the rognons. Thinking we knew enough French to use that menu instead of the English one, we unknowingly ordered veal kidneys. The sauce was really good, but the texture of the kidneys was too much to overcome. However, the massive quenelle was enough for both of us. Though a ground fish dumpling doesn't sound very appetizing, it was light and delicate - like a soufflé. So, so good. For dessert we had tarte tatin and mousse au chocolat, both of which were well-executed. I hope to return soon!

• Visited October 2012