“Unforgettable Dining Experience”

Auberge de l'Ile
Ranked #227 of 4,034 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: L'Auberge de l'Ile Barbe est recompensee de 1 etoiles au guide Michelin et 16/20 au Gault et Millau, un succes couronne par son acceptation au sein de la prestigieuse famille des Relais & Chateaux en 2006.
Reviewed April 11, 2018 via mobile

Last night’s dinner with Chef Jean-Christophe and his team was one of the most joyous culinary events of my life.

The restaurant’s setting is amazing, tucked away on an island in an old stone house. I was greeted before I even entered by The Chef and one of the two front-of-the-house staff that served. They invited me to have an aperitif outside, which I enjoyed on several large cushioned couches that lie just outside the entrance. The Chef joined me for several minutes to explain the menu and his rationale for it, and to swap stories about our favorite restaurants in San Francisco.

Once inside, I was taken to my table where I felt like a King. There were only 4-5 tables in this modern and tastefully decorated room arranged in a circular pattern, with great spacing and a calm, almost worshipful aura permeating throughout. The Chef spent a great deal of time out in the dining room explaining the dishes, supporting wine selections and serving the courses side by side his staff. He seemed to truly be a man at peace with his cooking and his restaurant.

And it showed in the food. There was a lollipop starter. A crab and citrus ‘panna cotta.’ The Chef’s signature porcini and foie gras ‘cappuccino’ soup. And a scallop, spinach and truffle lasagna. Mains consisted of a Thai inspired Turbot Tom Yum Goong and a Duck Breast dusted with a 12 spice sachet packet. The various courses spoke to one another and occasionally shared some common ingredients, but each was unique in its presentation and flavors. Multiple desserts followed, including a somewhat surprising cream cake stuffed with artichoke.

Attire was not overly formal - a couple sports coats, many without. The wine list was well chosen, diverse and affordable, and presented on an iPad tablet. The fixed menu pricing is higher than most restaurants, but expected (and dare I even say a good value) for a dining experience of this quality.

The food, service and setting were all truly memorable. Bravo Chef! If you’re a gourmand, add this to your bucket list. HIGHLY Recommended.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank GigOn332
Jean-Christophe A, Gérant at Auberge de l'Ile, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2018

Dear host,

Thank you so much for these kind words, it was such a great pleasure to have you with us. Thank you for sharing this experience here, we understand that you had a lovely time at l'Auberge and this fills us with joy .

As a team of passionnate people, reading our customers' delight is always nice.

We hope to see you again soon,

Best,

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for lunch on our way to skiing holidays. We had the rather expensive menu, but it was worth it. As a starter I had Foie Gras et Artichaut followed by a Cochon Fermier du Cantal.
The chef personally explained us the details of this excellent meal and proposed us wine fitting to this great food.

Date of visit: January 2018
Jean-Christophe A, Gérant at Auberge de l'Ile, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

Dear Ulrich,

The whole team and I thank you very much for your visit and for these few words describing your experience among us.

It was a real pleasure to welcome you and we wish you great holidays !

Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

Arrived with a valid The Fork / La Fourchette confirmation for Saturday 13.00 - only to be told they have not registered the booking.
They blamed this service to be unreliable.
Well, why then participate when you know it fails ?
Having been not offered any assistance like an alternative booking nearby, we moved away, and being fairly late, enjoyed a calory-free afternoon with growling stomachs.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank P6237QPthomasf
Jean-Christophe A, Gérant at Auberge de l'Ile, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2017

Dear Thomas,

We apologize for the inconvenient. The service was indeed flawed, as we never received the confirmation email from LaFourchette - for which they apologized to us.

We were fully booked on this day and were unfortunately not able to serve you, as we deeply regret it.

There was nothing we could do, we hope you understand the situation.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

The arrival at this restaurant feels like driving to a fairy castle! Great, warm welcome followed by the chef greeting each table & talking us through the menu. The food was sensational, and I can’t wait to bring my Hubby here, in Summer, so that we can enjoy the outside also.
Lovely relaxed meal, great personal service, only thing to note is that the drying and storing of cutlery at end of service was very noisy, which was especially noticeable after a lovely calm evening in hushed tones. May be better to do this further away from the dining room?
Highly recommended!

Date of visit: October 2017

Dear guest,

The whole team and I thank you so much for your kind words and for having choosing us for your gastronomic moment.

It was a pleasure to have you among us - we take good notes of your comment on the end of the service.

We would be very happy to welcome you again,

Reviewed June 14, 2017

I am a returning client to Auberge de l'Ile.

I travel from the UK to dine in Michelin awarded restaurants in France, particularly Lyon, a couple of times each year and this establishment is often on my list of dining experience. Eating food at this level is beyond nourishment, to eat here is to experience high quality food sourced carefully, prepared and delivered with poetic narrative.

For those who are serious about Michelin awarded restaurants, please try out a few one star and two starred restaurants. You will notice the level of artistry served up here deserves at least two stars.

As the menus change seasonally, I am looking forward to sample a spring menu on my return to the establishment in a few days.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank SaintPaulDeVence
Jean-Christophe A, Gérant at Auberge de l'Ile, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2017

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your unwavering loyalty and ongoing support. It is always a pleasure to welcome you among us.

The whole team and I also thank you so much for these words, which go straight to our heart. We work hard everyday to deliver the most enjoyable experience to our guests, and knowing we have succeeded with you means a lot to us.

Wishing to welcome you again soon,

Warm regards,