“Cosy and comfortable for English speakers!”

Hotel des Celestins
Ranked #14 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I greatly enjoyed our two nights at the Hotel des Celestins. Although our room was tiny, it was big enough, and the location was great for restaurants and touring. The reception staff was very welcoming and helpful, and it seemed as if we were staying with friends. The breakfast offering was lovely as well, being able to cook your own eggs was a nice touch. I would return if I were to be in Lyon again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I and our 3 daughters (ages 3, 7, and 12) stayed here during our visit to Lyon in March 2012. The location was excellent, an easy walk everywhere we wanted to go. We stayed in the suite which had a double bed, sofa bed, and baby cot for the youngest. There was plenty of room. The room has been recently upgraded, so the fixtures and bathroom were very nice and modern. Lots of electrical outlets for all our Apple chargers!!! A real bonus in a European hotel. The room included books and a few dvds, even. It was very cozy and felt much more like we were staying in someone's guest room in their home, rather than just a hotel room. The owner was extremely kind and helpful, spoke excellent English. We had plenty to choose from for breakfast, although it was your typical European style PETIT dejeuner of yogurt, pastries, cold cuts, etc. The selection was quite varied, however, and even included hard or soft boiled eggs.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cychapman
hotelcelestins, Responsable réception at Hotel des Celestins, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Hello and thank you very much for all these compliments. We are glad to have made your stay in Lyon a success. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

we were at the Hotel des Celestins and occupy the two connecting suites son the 5th floor. everything was perfect: very large rooms, comfortable bathrooms, great facilities (TV, radio etc..). the staff is very kind and helpful. it is a very nice location: central and easy to get around. the best quality/price.. the suites are definitely worth a four star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Hello and thank you very much for all these compliments.
We look forward to welcoming you very soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

On arrival for our three nights we could not have been made more welcome. The same applied throughout our stay. Every member of staff who we met was delightful .
We stayed in the " Suite Celestins" and much recommend it for its old fashioned spaciousness and calm. A safe ( which was not shown as available ) was most welcome. The bathroom, although slightly small, was modern and well thought out; the shower was particularly good. Towels aplenty.
Only one of us had breakfast but it was enjoyed ( not least as a french speaking foreigner listening in to bizarre french thinking - Hohoho ).
We will return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again next time.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have been informed that the hotel I praised was the Hotel Carlton. AMA had my wife and me booked at the Celestins but we were changed to the Carlton at the last minute. I'm sure Hotel des Celestins is also excellent but I do not know from personal experience. Again, please forgive my error.
Jim Lever
Tifton, GA

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

stayed here from 29th March to 1st April as Me and another 17 blokes were in Lyon to play a rugby game.
first impression of the staff was that all the staff I had dealing with were extremely helpful and friendly even when 18 blokes descended for breakfast. The Hotel is old and shows sign of wear and tear but this adds to the character. There is a lift for the less able but it is quite a primitve construction. some of the lads said it reminded them of when they worked in the mines.the breakfast was a substantial continental one with fresh fruit salad,yoghurt, cold meats and cheeses and a selection of bread. I shared a room with my friend who is a baker who reluctantly addmitted that the bread was good. There was unlimited fruit juice, and tea and coffee on demand.
My room was small but functional and suitable for a long weekend but it was small, there are larger rooms to be had so ask about this when making your reservation. Saying that, the room quality does not bother me too much as I went to see Lyon and not the inside of a hotel room. The hotel location was idea for exploring on foot with bars and shops within walking distance. THe hotel reception closes at 2200hrs make sure the staff show you exactly how to get in with your key because after too much red wine this process can become an ordeal.
There is also a market that sets up on the river bank selling local produce. try the cheeses and the wines on offer if you visit here.I didnt use public transport so I cant comment. the general cost of living I found to be double of what I would expect to pay in the north of England.
There are bars and restaurants all over the city , we tended to frequent an area across the river Soane where the bars and restaurants seemed to be concentrated. not a McD nor Burger king in sight, so "Bravo" to the Lyonaise (there is a McD if you look hard enough) but everything else is local people selling local delicacies.I would certainly return and would use the same hotel.

Room Tip: the hotel is on a side road so all rooms are quiet, ask for a larger room when making your reservati...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
hotelcelestins, Responsable réception at Hotel des Celestins, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Hello and thank you very much for your comments.
It was a real pleasure to welcome you and your rugby team.
We look forward to welcoming you again during your next match in Lyon.
Kind regards to you and your 17 friends.
Oriana

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in the Hotel des Celestins in March 2012. The hotel has a Very good location in the very centre and everything is at hand and nearabout: shopping or walking streets,embankments, sightseeing and many restaurants. We very liked this calm hotel. Highly effective personnel eagerly supported us in all our needs, either in choosing restaurant or booking some place of our interest. Cozy rooms are decorated with ancient small paintings. Comfortable bed and additional pillows helped to sleep well.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelcelestins, Responsable réception at Hotel des Celestins, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Hello, we thank you for your flattering comments. We look forward to welcoming you very soon. Best regards