“The food is delicious, but the service was less so”
Review of Brasserie l'Est

Brasserie l'Est
Reserve with
Brasserie l'Est is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #380 of 3,377 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jules Ferry - Récamier
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The restaurant is the old train station, and the interior is really pleasant and nice. The food was absolutely fantastic, goose liver, buef tartare and cheese was all heavenly. Unfortunately the same can not be said about the service. Not typical French, as the waiters were not paying attention, for the last 40 minutes we sat with empty glasses (waiting for both wine and water), until we finally gave up, and decided to leave. Really too bad, as this is the kind of restaurant I would have liked to go back to, but now I don't think I will.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Although we were initially shown to a table in an alcove we asked to be moved in to the main dining hall, that was handled very well.

It was busy, busy and a great vibe around the place.

My starter of duck liver was cooked perfect, and the main course of scallop risotto was brilliant. Desert st Marcalan cheese was served t the perfect temperature.

Service was sharp and to the point

I loved this place.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

it's at lunch time on Friday, crowded and busy as the previous reviews!! the meat was really great, not greasy not hard and the dessert of the specialty was fabulous !!!! we are sitting in front of the dessert serving, and observing all kind of desserts :) even though the saumon was too greasy for me, but with the bread is fine. Strongly recommend to try, and personally I would like to order their salade with foie gras next time ;)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've been here several times and always enjoyed the experience. It's more in the style of the local bouchon and you won't find a fine dining experience here, but it's always bustling with people and noisy, befitting it's railway station setting. The staff is always obliging and I've arrived without booking several times,and they were able to fit us in. The food is straightforward but very good. I can never quite resist their foie de veau, although their sole is also quite good.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

A restaurant that rides on the Bocuse name but does not live up to the reputation or high quality standards of its Michelin-adorned namesake, although the vintage setting is nice (though the whole 'train station' thing is a bit overdone and verging on the kitsch, a point emphasised when the waiters roll out the organ every time someone has their birthday...I had to endure this 3 times while dining there!).
This restaurant may please people who do not value food very highly and are all about the 'experience', but I was seriously disappointed by the unimaginative and ungenerous cuisine: my plate of various fish (and one measly scallop!!) was rather bland, with a boring garnish of obviously vacuum-packed potatoes thrown in. This set me back 27 euros, for which price you can get a delicious menu (not just a plate) in mane other more interesting restaurants of Lyon. The dessert, an overly sweet pavlova, was slightly better but not great by any means.
I fear that foreign tourists will get the wrong idea about French cuisine from eating here: there are many, many more interesting options, especially in Lyon. As this restaurant stands, it seems to me to be a cynical use of the Bocuse name to generate footfall (the place is utterly, uncomfortably packed and the service reflected this, with overburdened, unpleasant waiters).
Best avoided.