“Great Place for a Light(ish) lunch”
Review of L'Epicerie

L'Epicerie
Ranked #149 of 3,498 Restaurants in Lyon
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cordeliers - Jacobins
Reviewed January 20, 2013

In this neighborhood (close to the Saint Antoine market), it is hard to find a decent place that doesn't want to feed you a multiple course lunch featuring heavy Lyonnaise specialties. If you are looking for something lighter, this is a good bet. Basically a soup and tartine place, much like Le Pain Quotidien. The food is pretty good (assuming you like tartines), but don't expect a gourmet meal. I had a jambon cru et courgette tartine (cured ham and zucchini), which was a first for me, but which was pretty good. It is crowded, buzzy, and you share tables. It is also efficient, friendly, quick, and not expensive. I rate is very good, not because it compares with a better restaurant or bouchon, but because for what it is, it is great.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

For once I will write in english as this place is a "must see" for all our visitors !
Guys this is old school french épicerie and you will experience not the best food ever (but the most original bread tartine) but you will be charmed by the place itself.
Plus do not forget the pichet of wine and one of the fabulous dessert !
Even if you will have to be patient to get in as there is no reservation and it is often full DONT LEAVE LYON WITHOUT EATING TARTINES !

Reviewed January 11, 2013

good, affordable tartines. good desserts. nothing life changing. if I happen to be nearby, I would go for a quick lunch or a late night snack but not really worth going out of my way for.

1  Thank Mongoose79
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I am studying abroad in Lyon for the semester and I cannot stop coming back here! They have the best tartines I have ever had, and everything is extremely affordable. The soup of the day is also perfect for a cold day, but be warned that it is not that big. However, one tartine is fulling enough, and there isn't a single bad option on the menu. My personal favorite is the chèvre et miel (goat cheese and honey) but my friends are also a huge fan of the trois fromage. But no matter what you choose, you will leave satisfied!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I haven't tried restaurants much based on Tripadvisor reviews before, but I thought I'd give it a try on my recent business trip to Lyon. I was curious if there were any good bargains to be had, with highly rated restaurants in the lower price ranges, and L'Epicerie looked good on the surface. When I showed up around 8 PM on a Tuesday it was pretty packed, but I managed to get one of the last two tables, with no attitude from them about being a single diner. They picked up on my terrible French and helped with English (one waiter quite good, the other not much better than my French) but we had no real trouble. I had a Pate Tartine, a Rhubarb tart, and a half-liter beer, all for 18 Euros, and all were quite excellent, and served very quickly. I am 55 and I think the next oldest diner that night was about 30, but aside from feeling as if I was sticking out a bit, it was no problem. The kitchy decorations on the wall were amusing, and overall I found it to be a great experience - not a complicated or huge meal, but I could have had another tartine had I been hungrier without breaking the bank at all, and didn't feel as if I were sacrificing quality for economy.

1  Thank Gamemaker