“Been around since the 1800s”
Review of Le Bistrot de Lyon

Le Bistrot de Lyon
Reserve with
Le Bistrot de Lyon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #434 of 3,324 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Beautiful 1900 style brasserie Lyonnaise specialties. A seafood bench winter and a summer terrace. Created in 1974 by Jean-Paul Lacombe.
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Been around since the 1800s”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had dinner in this restaurant on our last night in Lyon and were extremely surprised at how good the food was. The service was excellent. We had a pot of wine which was very drinkable. Would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

Visited June 2013

London/Worcs
“Traditional Bistrot”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The restaurant is quite oldy worldy, so quite traditional with the style harking back 100+ years. Menu consisted mainly of dishes typical to the Lyon area. There are almost two separate dining areas - we were in with the locals which was great. The other side seemed more touristy. I started with white asparagus soup which was very good followed by a chicken dish with thyme which was tasty though could have been served warmer.

Staff were friendly and helped us to understand the menu - as our French is somewhat limited.

The old shop till and bar area are worth a look at.

• Visited May 2013
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Poor service and cold food!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We picked this restaurant out of all the restaurants on the popular road because it looked like a typical French bistrot and I can't fault that because it really did have that French feel. It was just a shame as the waiter did not once smile and we were even trying to order in French. One of us had a soup, bearing in mind was 12 euros, which was cold. When we were waiting for our mains we could see the waiter going around with 3 plates and couldn't find who they were for left them on the side in our view to see who they belonged to and of course.. they were ours. Evidentally they were cold by this time and was the tiniest portion. So not very good value for money! We were not offered any more drinks and had to actually ask two times before they were brought to us. The only time they actually offered some sort of customer service was when they gave us the bill with a questionnaire of our visit! So overall, really was not happy with the service or food!

• Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Very Nice, Very Pretty Bistro with Very Good Food”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a very good, very buzzy, bistro/brasserie on a street in Lyon full of restaurants. It is owned by the same people who own Léon de Lyon and a few other places. The decor is great...just what a 1900s bistro/brasserie should look like. It is in a pretty touristic area, but in my experience it is well above the level of what you might expect of a restaurant located in that kind of area (and on that street). I have been there several times, and each time it has been very good. My wife and I went there most recently on a cold Sunday afternoon in February. We didn't have a reservation, and the restaurant was full, but the maitre d'hotel was very courteous and got us a table after only a few minutes wait. The service was good, and our meals were excellent. I tried the sea food choucroute and was very pleased...several different kinds of fish, very well cooked, and a lot of it! My wife had a salade Lyonnaise, which she said was very good...not very adventuresome, but that's what she wanted! The coffee was fabulous. Everyone around us was French, and they were all eating much heavier meals than we were, plus lots of shellfish, and everyone seemed very happy. I have heard this place being knocked as a restaurant catering to tourists...perhaps that is true in the summer, but not on a Sunday in February. The restaurant is not cheap...but what do you expect for good food and great decor in a fashionable part of town?

• Visited February 2013
Antibes, France
“Poor service and food poisoning”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We arrived here late, at around 22:30, but this is a restaurant that advertises service until 1130, which is why we went in... We were seated and given the sea food menu and the a la carte. We were then told that we must hurry up and order as they were closing the sea food section, our waiter was quite brisk with his delivery! In the end we orded off the carte, with my date going for steak tartare. Possibly not the wisest idea at the end of a long service, but it was on the menu and he fancied it!
I am not going to moan about the food too much here, it was ok, nothing memorable. It was the service that stood out - it was rushed, dare I say rude, no eye contact from our waiter and a regular slamming down of condiments and plates onto our table with a grunt and not even a glance at us. I guess he was busy and stressed, as is normal in the hospitality industry, but we didn't wish to know it!
We were sat by the restaurant kitchen doors which are heavy and regularly swing open loudly with someone rushing through carrying plates - not the best place to sit, especially if you like to imagine that your restaurant has a clean kitchen. From what I saw, this one didn't.
The final straw though, was watching my date go a ghostly white colour and rush off to the toilets, 30 minutes after his steak tartare. He threw up, had bad stomach pains and my heart sank as we realised he had food poisoning.
We had to get out of there before he threw up again, so I told him to wait outside and told the Maitre D what had happened. He too seemed too busy and stressed to listen properly, showed no interest in discounting our bill (not that I cared to argue by that point), so I paid and left.
There are a thousand better places in Lyon to eat than here.

• Visited December 2012