Quick summary: this is a modern, business-class hotel in a convention complex with good restaurants. Old town and city centery are a quick cab ride away.
This hotel is in a complex of the new convention center that also includes another hotel, some residential housing, restaurants, and some limited shopping and cinema. It is adjacent to the Tete d'Or park, for those who like a nice stroll or run when traveling. While the location is not right downtown or in oldtown, which are nice for touring, they are a relatively quick cab ride away. This also means you avoid the real snarl of small downtown streets if you want to tour the area beyond the city.
We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Room #124 has a suite with two beds pushed to a king. The room is a good size, and the sitting area with leather chairs and a table can be closed off. Sleek, modern decor. Flat TV, large in-room safe. The view is over the front of the hotel, but was a quiet room. Free wifi.
A few minor complaints:
1. The bed has duvets instead of separate sheets and blankets, Frankly, I always find these too warm (these were no exception) so I used the excellent quality robe as a night cover instead.
2. The room has a blackout curtain, but no inner lightweight curtain. So: when you dress in the morning, you have your choice of blackout or on full view to those outside. Easy to fix in the future.
3. The desk/TV area is a tight fit near the bed when someone is sitting at the desk. If you plug into the internet, you sit right in front of the TV -- and in the sightline of your companion trying to watch. The bed is also close enough so that I had to crawl over the bed to get to the telephone when my husband was sitting at the desk.
Good-size bathroom with combined tub/shower. Toiletries include the combination shampoo/bath gel and body lotion.
Excellent housekeeping. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and professional. Excellent marks go the the dining room staff at breakfast and lunch -- helpful and charming, especially the tall young lady with dark hair. Also: Renate at the desk knows all and is very helpful.
The breakfast is an extensive buffet of fruits, juices, breads, pastries (really good brioche!), cereals, meats and cheese, etc. and etc. The small sign also notes that they will cook eggs to order, and they know how to do a good omlette. There are also newspapers in English available (always wins my heart.)
My only complaint is that breakfast stops serving/sitting at 9:30 a.m. -- maybe okay for the business and convention crowd, but feels a bit rushed for those on vacation. You can stay a bit longer, but they are wrapping up the buffet by 10 or so. They serve lunch in the same room and its outdoor terrace, you you understand why this happens.
There is also a nice cocktail lounge with entertainment some evenings. This is worth a stop, and was not as busy as it should have been, given the talent.
Lunch on the courtyard terrace was very good. There are also other good restaurants in this complex when you are not in the mood to go back into the city for dinner. Restaurant 33 in this complex was very good, with a range of newly-inspired cooking and a good wine list by the glass.
Secure, paid parking is in the underground garage right beneath the hotel, associated with the convention complex.
The take away: if you really want to experience downtown and old town Lyon, you might want a more central location and deal with the parking and traffic situation. However, we were very comfortable here and happy to use it as a base for exploring Lyon but also touring the area (e.g. a daytrip to Annency.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Lyon – Cité International stands out as a point of reference in the luxury hotel business in the heart of the famous urban architectural project, the Cite International of Lyon. This hotel was first conceived by the Italian architect Renzo Piano, already well known for the design of the prestigious Georges Pompidou centre in Paris.The Crowne Plaza Lyon – Cité International is located between the banks of the Rhone River and the Parc de la Tete d'Or and just steps away from the largest Congress Centre in Lyon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Crowne Plaza Lyon - Cite Internationale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De La Cite Concorde Hotel