“Absolutely loved this stylish boutique hotel!!”
Review of College Hotel

College Hotel
Ranked #89 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely loved this stylish boutique hotel!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I dont think recent reviews do justice to this WONDERFUL, GREAT VALUE, BOUTIQUE HOTEL !! We LOVED IT !!!

My husband and I recently spent 1 night at this GREAT hotel as part of a 2 week trip through France for our 10 Year Wedding Anniversary. We were after someting very central (as we wanted to walk everywhere) , good value for money, and something with a sense of character/a little different (not the stock standard 3 star hotel) - and the College Hotel definately met all criteria - WE LOVED IT !!

We were very impressed by the funky vibe at this boutique hotel - with its quirky but cute öld school" theme (very appropriate since it is actually a converted old school). Contrasting to the heritiage old world school themed common areas -we were really impressed with the modern/minimalist all white rooms. Our room was HUGE, with a lovely terrace with great views over the old town, and up the hill to the Cathedral.

We loved the huge corner bath in the bathroom, huge french doors in the bedroom and bathroom, flatscreen TV , fridge with FREE Water/Coke/OJ on each floor , FREE internet, GREAT FRIENDLY SERVICE by front desk - we could go on and on.....

The hotel was also environmentally conscious - with motion sensored lighting throughout the building.

The continental breakfast was 12 Euros each - and is definately worth doing at least once during your stay - if only to complete the experience of dining in an old school dining hall/room - with tea served from cute individual thermos, OJ served in very cute little bottles/beakers.

The hotel was also able to recommend some great restaurants for lunch and dinner,

Overall - this was GREAT VALUE for such a charming/funky conversion of an old school into a great and very central BOUTIQUE HOTEL.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LuiSydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We stayed 5 nights at the charming College Hotel in October 2008. I agree with all the other positive comments, and also had the pleasure of Room 22 with its private terrace. At first I was also disappointed with the hand-held shower because I have back problems and it is hard for me to sit or squat in the tub. And there is no shower curtain so you have to bathe sitting down. Anyway, there are so many wonderful things about this hotel, especially the service at the front desk. Francois was excellent with restaurants (be sure to try Leon de Lyon), and Denis was helpful with maps and directions. The school theme throughout is more than just cute. It is a concept that pervades every aspect of the experience, visually and psychologically. You feel comforted by the old wooden chairs, the lockers, the books and the dorm-like rooms. We ran into an architect who stays in Lyon frequently, and he said he had tried other hotels in Lyon, but this was the best. At 140 euros, it definitely fit our budget of $200 or under for hotels in France. Would stay here again easily. And the corner boulangerie is definitely the place to go for breakfast.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the shower
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulieJ8
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Hi Everyone,
This hotel experience broke my heart.

I travel for work every week through Asia, and always stay high end corporate. When I found this hotel on-line and booked I was so excited, as it looked to be a great social hotel......for vacation it looked perfect.

And it was perfect! Friendly staff, great food. Amazing, even.
Check out was a breeze, the taxi was even was on time.

On the TGV I went to grab my new B&O Earphones out of their holder.....no earphones....the HOLDER was there, but no phones!
My iPod was there....as it was visible but my earphones which looked like they were - weren't... sneakily pinched!

Then my travel partner went to check his iPod's... His large (visible) iPod was there, fine ---- but the Nano, which was in his running shoe was pinched!

We both are fine as they are nominal expense for us, but we thought it best to let the hotel manager know - as it will happen to someone else.

I contacted the hotel, who put me in touch with their "head - housekeeper" . She in turn put the blame directly on me! 'You probably left it at a cafe!" etc, etc.

I travel for a living. I know where/how I keep my stuff. (And I had only been there two nights ). I explained I didn't want anything - I was just trying to let them know for the next poor guy it happens to!

She wouldn't hear it. It was me. It was my fault.
(Maybe the tip we left for the maid wasn't sufficient --if we only knew at that time! LOL)

(She was probably the culprit!)

So - moral of the story - some maid at College Hotel Lyon has not just sticky fingers - but sneaky sticky fingers - and you won't find out till you're long gone!

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — theft
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank parksHongKong

Travelers are raving about these Lyon hotels

Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We agree with nearly all of the reviews written thus far. The hotel is a great find and -- for a city in France -- quite a bargain. No, it's not cheap, but try to find this sort of value for the money in Lyon and you'll look for a long, long time.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable. At first, we were put off by the lack of shower, but found the tub with "telephone" shower quite manageable.

The breakfasts were good and -- we think -- a good value for the money compared to the rest of our trip in France.

Also, free computer access and we nearly always found the lobby computer available for our use.

The staff were very cordial and helpful. Our only complaint was that they are incredibly bad at giving directions -- their directions (to other sites/landmarks) were always incorrect!! So, be careful.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We based our choice of the College hotel on viewing the hotel’s website. We arrived for our 2 night stay to find that they had booked the wrong dates on their reservation system. The hotel being fully occupied they were unable to honour their confirmed reservation for the 1st night. The reception staff were remarkably speedy in finding a room for us in a “3* hotel with lovely duplex room” namely, The Phenix (separate review – lovely it was NOT!). Their attitude was apologetic but a shrug of the shoulders, the excuse of human error, and having secured an alternative room for the night for us was a fait accompli. As a gesture of goodwill we were given breakfast free of charge – it did not compensate us for the frustration and disappointment of their error.

When we eventually were able to check in to the hotel (having had to leave our bags at reception the following morning), we were happy with our room. All white, the wardrobe a school locker etc much as you can see on their website. Water and soft drinks are available FOC in fridges on the corridor. The public areas are particularly quirky with the school theme running throughout.

Our only disappointment with the room was that we had a bath with only a hand held shower attachment. It’s not clear from the website how the differently priced rooms are graded; we went for the highest option (at 140 euros room only). If the cheaper rooms have stand-up showers then maybe we would have opted for one of those. Also we thought we might have had a balcony – not sure which rooms do?

We enjoyed the continental breakfast which was the usual fare, and the individual jugs of orange (real juice instead of squash for a change!) and flasks of piping hot coffee. Still thought the charge was a bit steep. You can also take your breakfast out on a tray to the terrace.

The location of the hotel is excellent for the old town, and the Vieux Lyon metro station about a 10 minute walk away. There are some really good restaurants in the area.

Would we go back? Yes – but we would triple check our reservation beforehand.

If you should be unfortunate enough to find your room unavailable on arrival do NOT accept the Phenix Hotel as an option!

We would have given a higher rating if not for the booking error which took the edge off the whole experience - and our break in Lyon.

• Liked — Quirky environment and general location
  • Disliked — Reservation error
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank fromleeds
Cary NC
Reviewed April 24, 2008

The stay here was excellent. I must use the term in an earlier review... this place is funky. At first you kind of kringe but as you look more closely, you begin to understand and the place grows on you. You can not ask for a better location. It is in the middle of everything. The staff are extremely helpful. The rooms are spartan in decor and furnishings but if you are staying in your room that much to care, then you are missing the beauty of this wonderful city. The rooms have air conditioning. In the hallway, is a refrigerator stocked with cokes and bottled water. There is wireless high speed internet. All in all, I would gladly come back to this hotel when I return to Lyon.

• Liked — Funkiness of the hotel, location... location... location, great wireless high speed
  • Disliked — Tile Floors, Noisy Street
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Ireland
Reviewed November 9, 2007

The reviews on this site really do not do justice to this funky little hotel. Firstly the decor and theme are great. Our room was spacious with a large comfortable bed and a smaller bed for our son, likewise the bathroom and tub were a good size and very clean. This was all great but it gets better and the magic of the College Hotel is in the little details. Our room (no. 22) had its own rooftop terrace with seating so we could relax in the fresh air with a glass of wine. The larger rooftop terrace had a very fun old fashioned exercise area in keeping with the school theme and was complete with an archaic but functioning exercise bike. Another lovely touch was the old style fridge full of complementary coke, water and juice situated just outside our room. Very friendly staff and free internet access in the lobby made this a great place to stay. Best of all is the location - Vieux Lyon is the most charming part of this lovely city with lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Breakfast is good - exactly what you can expect in France - but a better bet is to eat at the charming Boulangerie two doors up. I would go back to this hotel in a heart beat

• Liked — friendly, fun, funky and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family