College Hotel
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsschool desksold townthemed hotelfree soft drinksschool booksrooftop terracefun hotelcar liftwet roomperfect locationbasilica of notre dameacross the bridgethe riverbreakfast roomcroissantsstar hotelnice stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed three nights in Bellecour, went away for a couple of days and then came back to Lyon to stay at this hotel. The location is fabulous and we discovered a whole part of the city that somehow, we had completely missed on the first part of our trip. It’s a quirky and unusual place, with great communal areas that make use of the whole school theme. Each floor has a fridge to help yourself to free soft drinks which is a lovely touch. The staff that we met were all lovely and certainly when I booked over email, could not have been more helpful and efficient.

However…on the whole I was disappointed. I thought I liked “minimalism” but now I realize that unless it is pristine (which in a hotel it’s never going to be) it actually just looks like a white wall that could really do with a jolly good scrub and a fresh coat of paint. The room was a Post Graduate, so the most expensive they have, but it was small – saved from being pokey by the whiteness and because of a narrow balcony (not wide enough to sit out on). The bathroom was very clean but the corner bath was not ideal for a soak in the tub.

I am glad we went cos I wanted to try it, but at just a little shy of E200 by the time we had paid city tax and breakfast, my personal view is that it is expensive for what it is and your money is probably better spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: Like in other reviews, late night or rather early morning, revelers disturbed our sleep so i am not sure where the quietest rooms would be.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise Y
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived, frazzled, with a dying car. The people on the desk were all extremely friendly, helpful, and dealt with a rather stressed family with patience, efficiency and made sure that our stay was not marred in the least. The rooms are not huge, but very well appointed, spotlessly clean and the location more than made up for this. The free drinks fridges on each corridor are a great idea, particularly for the children! The terrace on the second floor is a very pleasant place to sit and far quieter than expected given the central location. The breakfast was freshly produced and very good. We had a super stay, despite our car problems and highly recommend the hotel - we hope to be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The rate average is not ok, but very good would be to much, it was just the price that wasn't right for what was offered. Perfect location, nice staff. Compared with other hotel which was just a little more expensive this was not worth the money, all tough rooms were very clean and spacious. No parking available. Breakfast was ok, but not inclusive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Very nicely located hotel in the center of old Lyon. I could walk everywhere from here. the staff is nice and helpful. I liked especially the free drinks you can get from the vintage fridge in the corridor and the nice terrace located at the second floor. For the cleanliness don't look in the corners but fair for a 3 stars

Room Tip: Second floor has some rooms with access to the terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at the hotel and loved every moment. The location is excellent, right in the heart of the old town, with bars and restaurants aplenty on the doorstep. You are also within easy reach of the main shopping areas of Lyon, meaning public transport was not necessary at all during our stay (although we did lazily resort to the funicular to reach the Basilica!) The hotel itself was wonderful. Staff were friendly and helpful and we were hugely grateful for the room upgrade which we received on arrival. The hotel's communal areas are quirky and clean and the breakfast was simple and delicious. Our bedroom was equally lovely: spotless and a good size. The complimentary soft drinks available on each floor were a nice touch and greatly appreciated in such hot weather! All in all a wonderful hotel and one I would have no hesitation returning to should I visit Lyon again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple