“Disaster”

Jeremy Galvan Restaurant
Reserve with
Jeremy Galvan Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,438 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

It started badly with flat sour champagne and stale bread and then got worse. One starter was a curious and unpleasant combination of melon stuffed with goat's cheese mousse. The second was a completely tasteless lump of steamed aubergine. The main courses were barely edible; partly uncooked guinea fowl and soggy stuffed green tomato accompanied by slices of raw carrot. At this stage we decided enough was enough, paid our E100 bill and left. We are Francophiles who have been visiting La France for 30 years and this is our 3rd visit in the last year. This qualifies as the worst value for money meal we have ever eaten anywhere in the world

8  Thank Michael H

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our AirBnB host recommended the place, and he was right! We made a reservation few days in advance for a weekday dinner, and that turned out to be a good idea. We arrived pretty early and the place looked empty (only one more party dining), but by the end of the evening the place was packed, and they do not offer outdoor seating. We went for a smaller option of entree and dessert - plus they brought a delicious amuse-bouche, and their bread was very good as well, so that was enough for us, even if the portions are on a smaller side. The food was very good, we loved every bit of it (we always share). The couple next to us went for the "L'Illusion" menue and we could hear all the excitement going on when they were right (or sometimes wrong) guessing the ingredients. Unfortunately, we do not speak French, so that was a problem, and they had to sen another waiter to help us figure out the menu. Other than that, we had no problems, and the service was very smooth.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Travelling solo I was recommended by my host to head to this restaurant for the best meal in Lyon - and it was sensational. Very attentive wait staff, observant, and polite. Usually some meals are only available in the evening and for 2, but on request the Illusion menu was made available for me (€45) and I had the 3 selected wines (€25) to accompany and beautifully matched. The food was inventive, sufficiently filling for gourmet food, and very tasty. The Froie Gras was lovely. I would recommend this restaurant for any occasion or even just to spoil yourself, and its good value. Excellent!!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having read the reviews I was expectant of something magical. Unfortunately Galvan didn't really deliver for us.

It was good without being great. There's no doubt the chef is talented and what was served was very nicely done, but I think it was more about technique for the sake of it as opposed to being to there to add to the taste of the food. We had the tasting menu which consisted of 7 main courses. I think 3-4 of them were based around some form of mousse which seemed excessive as in my opinion you feel like you're eating flavoured air which gets a little boring after a while.

I think service was good but the waiters are young and not very attentive as a result of lack of experience. Example being; we ordered water and it didn't arrive and had to ask again for it, we finished out apperitif and the glasses were left on the table for 10 mins.

Minor things perhaps but something for the Owner to consider as I get the feeling he's pushing towards Michelin Star territory and without top front of house I don't think he'll achieve it.

All in all though, a very nice evening and for the price (200euro for 2 taster menus and 4-5 glasses of wine) it was good value.

1  Thank Ben M
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a little restaurant in the Rue de Boeuf in Old Lyon. My wife was impressed with the decor the moment we sat down. The service was very friendly and professional. The food was gorgeous... We went for the "Let Go" menu for 55 Euros and it was worth every single cent of it! We asked for a sweet wine and was given a wonderful white wine for our meal. The meal lasted 3 hours but it was really wonderful. At 10:15 pm Chef Jeremy came out and talked to the patrons. He did not speak much English but we managed to take a picture with him. I will remember this meal for a long long time.

Just be prepared to book in advance; they had to turn away many walk-in patrons. We booked ours a week in advance and was called the day before.

2  Thank waifamily