“Fabulous little place with great food”
Review of Les Pampres Rouges

Les Pampres Rouges
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Les Pampres Rouges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #588 of 3,268 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Maidstone, Kent
“Fabulous little place with great food”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Our son is at university in Lyon and recommended this lovely little restaurant. It's completely unpretentious and not at all tarted up, but the food is wonderful and the service (by I think the owner) is charming. We both chose dishes from the Menu des Pampres Rouges and thoroughly enjoyed everything brought to the table.

There are so many great places to eat in Lyons, but I'm really glad that we chose this one!

• Visited December 2013

Istanbul, Turkey
“Friendly owner, great taste and excellent dishes”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

First of all we would like to special thanks to FAIK for his kindness help...The dishes were so excellent (especially onion soup), nice house wines, good prices...we will definitely go back next time in Lyon... Go to Lyon Go to Les Pampres Rouges and meet Mr. Faik...
Fenerbahce Forever...

• Visited September 2013
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“A rare find in the heart of a tourist area”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were in Lyon - having escaped from a River Cruise for a few hours. So we'd walked the obligatory walk and bought the obligatory Tourist stuff. Now it was time to feed the inner soul with some French food. (Our chef on the ship thought Brits would only want bland... so we were aching for some garlic and proper cooking).

Oh the choices. Every second 'shop' was a restaurant and as it was Sunday lunchtime - they were all setting up to be busy. We could not decide.
We liked the Plat du Jour that was offered on the little blackboard propped up against a chair. Who could resist 'Moules & Frits'?
We couldn't.

When we sat down, we were kindly asked to move further back under the awning in case it rained. We ordered. Four blackboards. Sorry, four moules.
The young men serving were amazing. Polite, fast, fun and smiling.
They brought platters of fresh bread that we didn't even need to ask to be replaced. Each time they emptied - they were refilled. You can't beat soft, fresh bread dipped in the wine sauce of the moules.
The chips were fantastic. A lovely golden crispy outside with soft tasty insides. And the moules.........And the sauce.............

I think everyone else under the awning was French. Moments after we ordered, the restaurant suddenly filled up as if someone had rung a bell and the whole of Lyon came out for lunch! And they came to Les Pampres Rouges.
Many were turned away from 'our' restaurant.
We didn't care - we were elbow-deep in the best moules marinière I've ever had.

The waiters passed by every now and again to check we hadn't run out of wine.
Our friends forced themselves to have dessert - but we just watched as they shared what looked like an amazing crème caramel and a fruit something.

Tish visited the rest room and that also passed muster. No mean feat - believe me.

Then we paid what we thought was a hugely reasonable bill that including tips was less than €90 for 4 and rolled back to the ship.

The best meal we had that week!
Going to Lyon? Even going NEAR to Lyon?
Go to Les Pampres Rouges.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Frannie B
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
“Great food! Very reasonable prices!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I ordered two "menu" selections - we shared two appetizers - she ordered a salade nicoise and I ordered 12 escargots. M-M-M! Then we had a breast of duck (magret de canard) and a seafood pasta dish, finishing up with chocolate mousse! The whole meal, including a bottle of local red wine, was less than $70, and was scrumptious! By the way, in France normal tap water is just as good (if not better) than bottled non-gaseous water.

• Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great local experience for a traveler abroad”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having explored the old town of Lyon extensively, I came across three options:

1. Several reasonable to high quality French menus with French-only speaking waiters
2. High cost/low quality food options and translated menus for tourists
3. Pampres Rouges

Walking by Pampres Rouges, I was greeted in French by their highly energetic waiter, I replied in French that I would like to try a French experience, however, I would like to speak English. Not being an issue, I was very warmly welcomed into the beautiful layout of the restaurant and had the intricacies of the food and wine menus explained to me.

I opted for the 28 euro menu and was not disappointed. The wait time was minimal in all courses and I was met with high quality French cuisine and paired with really good quality wine.

The waiters were very kind in service and were positively comparable to my experience at Noma (Denmark).

So seduced by the service and food quality, I returned for a second night and was treated like a friend of the establishment. The hospitality was so inviting and the food, consistently amazing.

As trivial as it sounds, the pinnacle for me was when the waiter offered me a cigarette, as I had none. To me, that goes above and beyond the required service of a restaurant to deliver a positive experience to a customer.

In short, Pampres Rouge treated me like a friend and my culinary experience was well worth my trip to Lyon. If any reader of this review cannot speak French but wants high value for money, no language barrier and a great French culinary experience, I implore you to eat at Pampres Rougue.

All the best,