“Excellent value in a great location”
Review of Hotel La Residence

Hotel La Residence
Ranked #37 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
London
“Excellent value in a great location”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very happy with the price/quality level. It's just off Place Bellecour and down the road from Perrache station (not nearest the station end of the road). Good breakfast served in room for no extra charge, friendly staff, room 215 overlooks courtyard and is quiet. Only slight negative: the water pressure isn't great.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank banana12London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for six nights while I explored Lyon. Rue Victor Hugo is a pedestrianised shopping area which is quiet after shopping hours. The hotel is a short walk from the Metro, the Tourist Office, Place Bellecour and about a ten minute stroll to the old town across the river Saone. I didn't take breakfast in the hotel (trying to diet and saving myself for an evening meal in a bouchon!) but it looked fine and good value in comparison with many hotels. Staff were helpful and pleasant. Room and bathroom were kept spotlessly clean. I would certainly go back here the next time I visit Lyon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JMMScotland
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location. Very convenient - close to place Bellecour, metro lines, easy working distance to old Lyon. Very clean. Front desk personnel very helpful and all spoke English. Extensive buffet breakfast at a resonable price. Our room was one of the larger rooms in the hotel on the third floor. Would definitely stay at this property when visiting Lyon again and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for higher rooms and a large room if available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MBSHEPTAK
HAMPSHIRE, UK
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A quick overnight stay was required whilst visiting Lyon to watch football. My friend & I wanted a centrally located hotel so that we could get to the match easily, visit other parts of Lyon, with bars and restaurants in the vicinity plus a short journey back to one of the main rail stations, at Part-Dieu the next day. As usual referring to TA for guidance the 3 star La Residence seemed to be a good choice when booking back in December.

For this particular booking I used Booking.Com, again. Somehow there was confusion when booking a double room requiring 2 single beds. Either I missed the info. or it wasn't on Booking.Com's website.Difficult to say, but it is on there now. I discovered this 2 days before going! Not the end of the world but I thought I'd ask them to contact the hotel to arrange the room we required. They said there wasn't one available. They tried, but sorry... Thinking they hadn't tried hard enough I contacted them direct, but they confirmed none available, but they would try to accomodate our request on the day. We arrived & the Manager was pleased to offer us what I originally thought I'd booked. As other reviewers have said - helpful staff. On reflection, I'd probably book direct next time or use Expedia - you pay when you book and their website is clearer.

As others have said, rooms are basic, and very clean. No surprises - the lift worked, hot water, as you'd expect. TV worked. Room climate was good, especially since it was freezing outside. Our room was above the the main pedestrian area and you could hear people, but it wasn't very noisy - most places will have some sort of noise!

Breakfast was included in our "110 Euro package" from Booking.Com. It was of a typical French type (what else would you expect here?). The breakfast room on the 1st floor is quite small, but clean and inviting. Fine for 8 Euros each.

There is not a lot more to add to what others have said. It is an okay 3* hotel - nothing special, nothing bad. I am not sure if the price could have been lower? There was an influx of a couple of thousand Spurs supporters to Lyon on Thursday, and some hotels may have used the rules of supply and demand when charging?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 6, 2013

For the second time I was booked into this hotle for a meeting in Lyon. The pros of this hotel: its central location in Lyon close to place Bellecour and gare Perrache as well as their front desk staff. The cons are the sometimes very small rooms, the lack of services you expect to have. A colleague called it simply basic, and this characterizes this hotel correctly. Lift does not work, water may be only cold , but this is the basic side of it; on the other hand it is a reasonable ratio value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

In the centre of Lyon, walking distance to Vieux Lyon and Perache station. The room was comfortable and had everything I needed. I was on the 2nd floor so it can get noisy, but I didn't mind. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Daphne L
Auckland
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a conference in Lyon and there were hardly any hotel rooms left by the time I went to book accommodation. I ended up booking through venere.com and got an excellent rate.

I was a bit nervous about the hotel but it ended up being great. The location is very central to Place Bellecour and the metro. The room was dated but comfortable and the bathroom was huge with a spa bath which was completely unexpected. The breakfast buffet was standard French breakfast food but a good start to the day. The free wifi for multiple devices is a bonus.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012