“A well located hotel”

Ranked #38 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
HAMPSHIRE, UK
“A well located hotel”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A quick overnight stay was required whilst visiting Lyon to watch football. My friend & I wanted a centrally located hotel so that we could get to the match easily, visit other parts of Lyon, with bars and restaurants in the vicinity plus a short journey back to one of the main rail stations, at Part-Dieu the next day. As usual referring to TA for guidance the 3 star La Residence seemed to be a good choice when booking back in December.

For this particular booking I used Booking.Com, again. Somehow there was confusion when booking a double room requiring 2 single beds. Either I missed the info. or it wasn't on Booking.Com's website.Difficult to say, but it is on there now. I discovered this 2 days before going! Not the end of the world but I thought I'd ask them to contact the hotel to arrange the room we required. They said there wasn't one available. They tried, but sorry... Thinking they hadn't tried hard enough I contacted them direct, but they confirmed none available, but they would try to accomodate our request on the day. We arrived & the Manager was pleased to offer us what I originally thought I'd booked. As other reviewers have said - helpful staff. On reflection, I'd probably book direct next time or use Expedia - you pay when you book and their website is clearer.

As others have said, rooms are basic, and very clean. No surprises - the lift worked, hot water, as you'd expect. TV worked. Room climate was good, especially since it was freezing outside. Our room was above the the main pedestrian area and you could hear people, but it wasn't very noisy - most places will have some sort of noise!

Breakfast was included in our "110 Euro package" from Booking.Com. It was of a typical French type (what else would you expect here?). The breakfast room on the 1st floor is quite small, but clean and inviting. Fine for 8 Euros each.

There is not a lot more to add to what others have said. It is an okay 3* hotel - nothing special, nothing bad. I am not sure if the price could have been lower? There was an influx of a couple of thousand Spurs supporters to Lyon on Thursday, and some hotels may have used the rules of supply and demand when charging?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 6, 2013

For the second time I was booked into this hotle for a meeting in Lyon. The pros of this hotel: its central location in Lyon close to place Bellecour and gare Perrache as well as their front desk staff. The cons are the sometimes very small rooms, the lack of services you expect to have. A colleague called it simply basic, and this characterizes this hotel correctly. Lift does not work, water may be only cold , but this is the basic side of it; on the other hand it is a reasonable ratio value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

In the centre of Lyon, walking distance to Vieux Lyon and Perache station. The room was comfortable and had everything I needed. I was on the 2nd floor so it can get noisy, but I didn't mind. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Daphne L
Auckland
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a conference in Lyon and there were hardly any hotel rooms left by the time I went to book accommodation. I ended up booking through venere.com and got an excellent rate.

I was a bit nervous about the hotel but it ended up being great. The location is very central to Place Bellecour and the metro. The room was dated but comfortable and the bathroom was huge with a spa bath which was completely unexpected. The breakfast buffet was standard French breakfast food but a good start to the day. The free wifi for multiple devices is a bonus.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Lexington, MA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My recent stay at the Hotel La Residence was incredibly pleasant and I would recommend this hotel highly. I say this even after being bumped to another hotel for the first night of my stay due to a plumbing problem in my intended room (luckily I wasn't the one to discover said problem, but instead learned about it on arrival).

Although the hotel isn't opulent, it is clean, comfortable, well-lighted, and well-kept. The wifi worked perfectly the entire time. The breakfast buffet has a good basic selection of items. My bed was comfortable -- the mattress wasn't too hard as in some hotels and there were different kinds of pillows to choose from. My room (403) had a good-sized closet, mini-bar and safe, full bath and shower, decent desk, hairdryer, and flat-screen TV. It also had a little balcony looking out on rue Victor Hugo which was nice for checking the weather in the morning. Occasionally some street noise got through (including a large zombie parade passing by one afternoon!), but I didn't have any problems with noise late at night when I was trying to sleep.

The location is quite handy, with plenty of stores and restaurants on rue Victor Hugo and other nearby streets. And the front desk staff were really great! Each person I encountered there was friendly, happy to answer questions, tolerant of my very poor French, and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again if my travels bring me back to Lyon some day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location of this hotel is great - makes bus connections easy and sights are within walking distance. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Not necessarily quiet, as it is on the corner of a busy pedestrian street and driving street. The room was clean and had everything we needed.

The front desk personnel were all very friendly and helpful to us, even though we spoke almost no French! A good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet and Richa... K
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Small rooms, but great breafast...Close to everything, so you can walk, the staff is friendly and very helpful...plenty of eye candy close around the hotel.For all the hype of such great resturants in the city, we felt they were average, and somewhat pricy.

Room Tip: Forget parking a car there small lot in back of the hotel, and you wont need one to get around the c...