“Great little hotel”
Review of Hotel du Theatre

Hotel du Theatre
Ranked #52 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Well situated hotel in the heart of Lyon. They also allow dogs for only 5 Euros extra. I would definitely upgrade to the superior rooms as you get more space for only a few more euros.

Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed July 22, 2008

Well located for the sights of Lyon, and the restaurants. We opted for the standard room at 63.50 euro. I think it would have been worth it to go for the deluxe at 69.50. Our room was fine, but not nearly as nice as those on the website. The most unusual feature was the electric toilet. It hummed for a while when the button was pushed then whooshed everything away. Didn't want to flush in the night, or the whole hotel would know from the noise. The reception was on the second floor, and the rooms were on that floor, and one up. There is no lift, so be prepared to carry your luggage.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank boomertraveler54
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in this lovely hotel for 4 nights and we happily surprised by one, the location and two the hotel itself!

Here are my pros & cons of this hotel:

Pros:

- The hotel is situated in a great area to shop with a ton of nice restaurants around it. That was definately a plus!

- The hotels breakfast was wonderful for 6 euros!

-Our room we had was a really nice size and the room was very clean and painted in really nice colors ( i think our room was recently redone, obviously by the construction going on on the second floor..) It also had a large closet type thing for clothes and a huge bathroom! definately a pleasant surprise!

-The hotel staff were also very helpful and pleasant during our stay.

Cons:

- This was one of my only dislikes about this hotel was how brutal the misqutoes were. Since our room was facing a back alley(with loads of garbage etc..) even if my boyfriend and I left our window open for 30 minutes- we'd have to be killing these things till really late into the night, otherwise the constant buzzing and bighting was going to drive me insane!
Since the misqutoes are quite bad- I would recommend the hotel on investing in screens perhaps, that way you can leave the window open & not have to deal with any bugs.

Other then the awful bugs I really enjoyed my stay, I felt really safe in the hotel and it was super quite at night! If I ever come to Lyon again on a budget- I'd for sure stay here!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kath555
Reviewed August 28, 2007

This hotel is in a great location, situated close to Rui Merceire where most of restaurants are and it is within a short walk to the old town (which has more great restaurants), Bellcour (where all the shops are), and one of the main train stations. Our standard room was a bit on the small side but was clean and adequate. Our stay was unfortunately marred by the building work being completed to the rooms on our floor and in the end to the corridor itself, resulting in exposed electrical wiring, inactive fire alarms, and lots of dust and wet plaster over the floors, our room door, and of course the walls (I still have plaster on one of my t-shirt sleeves). This, together with the noise and the tobacco smoke generated by the builders, was a disgrace and while the management did move us when I complained, they should have never have let paying guests stay on this floor while it is in this condition. I'm sure when this work is completed the hotel will be very comfortable but that is no conciliation to us.

I would also urge would be travelers to take careful notice of how many stairs are involved firstly to get to the reception, and then to get to the second floor, because an elevator is not available. Also, take mosquito repellent because we were eaten alive during our stay here, but were fine in the other hotels we stayed at in Lyon and else where in France (might be the theater lights and the proximity to the river that attracts them). Overall, great location, comfortable hotel, with some management/insect issues!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deckard1981
Reviewed July 26, 2007

The hotel staff were great! The breakfast was only 6 euros each and was very nice. The hotel was in a great location close to downtown and lots of great restaurants! The hotel has no parking lot and you must use an underground lot behind the building...3 days cost 66 euros and no in /out priviledges. The hotel has no elevator and reception is on the second floors (60 steps up...yes I counted them). Our room was on the second floor another 23 steps up. We stayed 3 nights and to be truthful grew tired of the climb! The hotel has no A/C (it was 35C) and you couldn't keep the windows open because of the mosiqutos (they were terrible and ate us alive!). The bed was very uncomfortable. It was a misserable stay in the hotel. Lyon was great and I would return in a second just not at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CanadaJeff
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We spent 6 peaceful nights in this Hotel. It is as near to all of Lyon as you could want. The room was clean and bright with a view of the Place de le Celestines. Petit dejeuner at 6 euros would be hard to beat elsewhere. Staff are very friendly and dealt with my e-mail enquiry promptly. I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank 2Scotsabroad
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I spent 3 nights here on my own (woman traveling alone). I loved this hotel's location on the Place de Celestins in central Lyon. This 2-star hotel does not have an elevator or AC, but I didn't find this to be a problem. (I did have a fairly large suitcase, but I stayed on the reception level, which they described as "a l'etage" but was more like the 2eme etage or the 3rd floor in the USA.) A room for one person cost 51 euros per night. My room on the reception level was fine - but if you like absolute quiet, I would recommend a room upstairs. There was occassionally noise at night when other guests came in, and in the morning when breakfast was served. The hotel's free WiFi was excellent. I really appreciated the location of this hotel -- just across the bridge from Old Lyon, convenient to the metro, close to lots of shopping, and there are a lot of nice little restaurants in and around the Place. One reviewer mentioned that she wouldn't feel safe alone at night on the rue de Savoie, where the hotel entrance is located. I can understand what she is saying, as the rue de Savoie is a relatively narrow street/alley way. But it is very short (with relatively busy corners at either end) and all the restaurants back onto the street,usually with their doors open - so it was never completely black and silent. I never felt unsafe. (I was usually back to the hotel before 11 pm.) I would definitely stay at the Hotel du Theatre again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business