Ibis Budget Lyon Centre - Gare Part Dieu
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewspart dieutrain stationpublic transportationsmain business districtshower cabindirect connectionlocal transportfootball stadiumrhone express tramrooms are basicshopping centreroom was cleancontinental breakfastrental carwould stay againcroissantsconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2012

All I wanted was a hotel in close proximity to the train station, the buses so I can get around the city, and it has to be clean, safe, with (preferably free) internet access. This hotel fulfilled all my wishes. The Rhone express from the airport stopped right outside. The part dieu shopping mall (with a carrefour supermarket) was in close proximity in case I needed to get some last minute shopping done. It is relatively new so the walls and the doors and the corridors were not at all dated and very well kept. The shower door does open directly into the room - no issues for single travellers. If sharing the room, then it'd better be with someone you are quite close with...or you can kick them to hang out in the toilet (which was in a separate closet with a door within your room), I s'pose. There is no closet to hang your clothes, no glasses for water, no kettle or coffee maker. Instead there were a few hangers and a small rack, and a couple of shelves and a small desk. It was enough for me as the bed was firm but comfortable and it was very quiet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank lemonloaf
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Decided to spend a weekend in Lyon on a whim with my cousin, we took the 11.29 am train from Geneva and arrived in Lyon around 13.30.

Our weekend trip was a spur of the moment thing, so we decided to book a hotel that was close to the main train station downtown, and of course, cost was also a big consideration. I've stayed In Novotel hotels before so we tried out Novotel's budget hotel, Etap. As mentioned Etap belongs to the Novotel family of hotels, if I'm not mistaken, I think Etap is the cheapest chain, followed by Ibis, then Mercure, then the priciest which is Novotel.

We got a double room that had a bunk bed for 65 Euros (with tax, it came to about 70 Euros). We felt it was good deal because of the location and it's cleanliness. Since it's a budget hotel, there are some amenities that are not available (e.g. gym, swimming pool, room phone, big storage cabinets), but for the most part, you can place a request with the reception desk and they'll get you what you need - we found out that we could borrow a hair dryer and ironing board.

We found it very convenient that it was just a few metres away from the train station. To get to Etap, you have to get out of the main train station, just go towards the direction of the boulangerie "Paul" turn right at the exit and less than 50 metres away you'll find Etap. Mercure is just right beside it.

Breakfast is paid for separately and the hotel lobby, including all the rooms have wifi connection.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank wasabi1031
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stumbled off a two hour late night train with backpacks and no clue where we would stay. Within a block we found three hotels in one building, and Etap (in the middle) was the best deal. We got a very clean room with two beds. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a good value. The hotel offered a computer and printer in the lobby, which was very helpful since we had not brought a laptop. When we checked out, they held our backpacks so we could sightsee unencumbered until our train was due. I felt very safe here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Judy L
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel has been entirely renovated. Rooms have been designed to be both cost-effective for the hotel owner and smart for the clients. My double room was at a rate of 72 Eur, which is the standard for a 2 star hotel in this area,but the breakfast at 5,90 Eur is worth what we usually have in other hotels for twice the price. The overall price of 78 Eur for the night is excellent.
I very much appreciated my room. Details have been thought to make the atmosphere cosy, like indirect lightning with LEDs in the wall (even the shower has a changing color LED). The bed was very good, and the sound isolation excellent: heavy doors to the coridor, and double window. The TV screen is large (32'). The budget aspect of the hotel is seen with the bathroom: there is none ! Actually, it is integrated in the room (no separation), and the shower cabin directly opens in the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business