I should start by mentioning that I am an experienced traveler (I have been working and traveling as a consultant for a French company for the last 6 years). These being said there are two issues which should have not happened in a 4* hotel located in a property which received visibly large investments:
1. In the breakfast room there should be a notice regarding the hot dishes which can be ordered from the kitchen. The staff there seemed overcrowded even if during my stay there were roughly 50% of the tables occupied.
2. At check-in I asked and it was confirmed a late check-out for 16:00.
On the day of leave having arrived from the city at 15:00 we discovered with great surprise that our room was being cleaned and our luggage has been already shipped downstairs.
The first reaction of the staff on duty was that of disbelieve instead of fixing the problem. Things started to happen only after the manager appeared and we received some apologies. We had in our room an unopened bottle of water over which the cleaning lady graciously took possession. She returned it to us when we got the room back.
Things would have been good if they finished here. While waiting for our pickup taxi I noticed a series of rude smiles and small talk among the staff at the reception regarding what just happened. Should I mention that despite being a foreigner I speak French very well?
Short story long I've quit using Accor hotels 4 years ago due to poor services and decided to give them a chance again due to this fabulous property which had good reviews on Tripadvisor. It looks that I was wrong.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be enchanted by the Carlton Lyon hotel, located on the peninsula. Despite being fully renovated in 2013, it has retained its authenticity and personality, blending contemporary comfort with sophistication. Relax in one of the 80 tastefully decorated rooms or in the cozy atmosphere of the bar. The hotel is just a 5-minute walk from the Bellecour metro stop and is the ideal base for exploring Lyon, with its opera house, museums, the St. Jean cathedral and more. Located between the Rhone and Saone rivers, the Carlton Lyon hotel was built in 1894 as a "petit palace" in Lyon. Punctuated by its forged iron balconies, dome and rotundas, its splendid Haussmann facade echoes the refinement of its historical decor. The hotel's "Signature" rooms also highlight artists who have stayed there. Travelers will appreciate immersing themselves in the splendid adornments of the many talents that have visited the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, ACCOR, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Accor Lyon