“The Spa was Great”

Ranked #17 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Seattle, Washington
“The Spa was Great”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I didn't stay at the hotel but I did patronize the spa and it is top notch. I searched and searched on Trip Advisor for the spa named "Spa Lyon Plage." http://www.lyon-plage.com/. I couldn't find it and I kept getting directed to the hotel site. It's the same address and part of the same building. Not sure if it's owned by the hotel or if it's leased to another company to run, but it's in the Hotel Lyon Metropole complex. The hotel looked very appealing as I entered, and the front desk staff were quite friendly in directing me to the spa. Everyone spoke good English. It's really kind of a mixed blessing that the spa isn't listed separately. If it was listed separately I'm sure the place would be packed as there's nothing like it that I've found in Lyon. The fact it wasn't packed made it very comfortable, especially on a Tuesday afternoon. If I was the owner I'd be separating the two out so people could comment on the hotel and then the spa. If you go to the spa link above, you'll see all of the services they have. It's excellent and there were plenty of friendly staff on hand. I used the pools, Jacuzzi's, the sauna (men and women are separate), the Hammam (men and women together), the flotation cabin and a 30 minute massage. It was all excellent. I get massage all over the world as I travel and my massage by Morgan was well worth it. I live in Lyon and have tried a number of spas. Nothing compares. Much to my surprise it was within walking distance from my flat in a direction I had never gone before. It was right under my nose. I will definitely go back and even took a flyer on an annual membership. It was recommended to me by a friend and now I'm recommending it to you.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Robert S
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Robert,

Thank you for the nice comment.
It is always a pleasure for us when we have Guests spending good time over the property.
The Spa is effectively part of the Hotel but we do also great external Members. Same for our bar & restaurant where a lot of people from Lyon are coming quiet often especially during the summer time with our beautiful outside terrace.

The outdoor pool will be open starting May the 19th. It will be a pleasure for us to great you as an annual Member!

Hope to have the chance to meet you soon.

Best regards,

Leslie Moreau
Assistant Manager – Hotel Lyon Metropole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend. First reaction, yes, the hotel is on the outskirts but then I had done my homework and knew that so not a problem, as this place is great value and ideal for a weekend or short break. The room was out of the hotel in an annex; brand new, along with a kitchenette. Had I known there was a kettle, I'd have brought some tea! (although friendly service gave us some from the breakfast area). The mattresses were so good and we had such an excellent sleep, I even asked at reception the make of their beds (rare!) Spa and sports facilities are top-notch - for this reason I'd love to return with the family in the same type of room. They would love the gigantic pools. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ensure you are in the annex, not in the hotel. Although when we stayed in November 2013, we were to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Madam,

I would like to sincerely thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us.
It’s a pleasure to read your satisfaction of our residence.

I hope having the pleasure to see you again.

Kind regards,

Leslie Moreau
Assistant manager
Hamburg
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Yes some rooms are new and renovated and actually very nice.. The old ones are horrible !!
Avoid the old ones at all cost !!!
And yes the hotel is nice if u like to use the gym/spa/pool.. But the hotel is not for tourists who wants to explore Lyon, or for anyone who just likes to get out at night...

It is sooo far from the city.. And there is nothing around.. no shops, no restaurants.. its like being stuck in the middle of nowhere...
There is a bus going to the city in like 30 min.. not as fast as they said at the reception... and it feels like forever...
And be careful at evening the bus only runs every 75 min.. HORRIBLE !!!
so the only other option is an expensive taxi !
I will go somewhere else next time..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SebastianHH
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Sir,

In a first time we want to thank to you for your stay.

I’m really sorry to read our hotel don’t answer in your expectations.
Our establishment are located in a part of Lyon, highly prized by people who want to live a moment of relaxation in a green environnement, by being a few kilometers from the movement of the city.

I hope we leave the chance to welcome you once again for a relaxing stay.

North East England
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip, so my experience was brief, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. The staff were very, very friendly and spoke excellent English, my room was pretty big and stocked with nice toiletries and all the usual basics. The food in the restaurant was really lovely and reasonably priced considering the quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your very nice review.
We do hope you will come back for live another relaxation moment in our hotel Lyon Métropole & spa soon again.

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Reviewed November 1, 2013

As others have noted, this hotel is secluded and not convenient to other parts of Lyon except by taxi. It seemed like anywhere we went was a 20 euro cab fare - old town, the convention center, other hotels where colleagues were staying.

I had a pleasant room that overlooked the river. Given that it was mid-late October, I had to open the window to get ventilation in the room as it was warmer than I like in the room. And the HVAC for cooling had been turned off.

The breakfasts were good, but not exceptional. We were there on business and had no time to take advantage of the spa amenities. I will say that the outdoor pool is the largest I have ever seen at a hotel.

So, the bad news? We had early morning flights out of the airport and got a cab before 6 AM. I know that there is a fare differential at some times at night. But compared to a trip just under 60 euros to the hotel, we paid over 100 euros to get to the airport. And the cab driver DEFINITELY took us by a different route from the city than we used getting to the hotel. Three toll booths, not one, for example. Very disappointing that they would use a cab company that rips off their patrons. And of course there was no option for protest given the time and we were now 30 km from the city. I considered the train, but at that early hour we would have had to leave an hour earlier to be sure we got to the airport on time.If I ever return, I will definitely use the train.

Room Tip: A river view room also overlooks the major street that runs between the hotel and the river. So a vi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Göteborg
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hôtel Métropole for 5 nights in September 2013.

The hotel is located on the Saône, North West of Lyon city centre. Unless you have a car, or use taxi, this is a very unconvenient location to visit the area, as there are no direct bus lines to place Bellecour.

The hotel us otherwise a strong 4 star property. Two swimming pools, on of them Olympic size; spa; restaurant.

Rooms are large, although they are a bit faded and the mattresses too soft.

The breakfast buffet was generous with usual favourites and more upscale choices such as salmon.

Staff was courteous and tried their best.
If you plan to enjoy the hotel amenities, this is a great choice. There are however better options in the centre if you want to visit the city, but forget spa or swimming pools then.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Bill GWB

Thank you for sharing your opinion after your stay in our hotel on the Tripadvisor site.

I am very pleased to read that you are satisfied with your stay. I have noted your different comments and thank you.

I hope to bring some clarification to your comments, the first thing on the access to the city center: We are indeed located around 10 minutes drive from the city center and the bus line 40, you can go downtown in about 20 minutes depending on traffic. Then about rooms of our establishment, know that half of our rooms have been recently refurbished in a contemporary atmosphere and a program of complete renovation of the rooms is being finalized for 2014.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Cheshire
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great hotel just outside Lyon on the River with fantastic views. Hotel has the most amazing swimming pool outside and inside and really good gym and spa facilities. Bedrooms quite basic, but comfortable, be warned in Lyon if you want a late lunch after 2pm - not to be had everywhere closes till 7.00 pm
Wi-fi a bit hit and miss which was a problem
Boat trip and bus city tour well worth doing and the best ever restaurant Paul Bocuse almost opposite hotel absolutely amazing

Just one point no poolside bar service - missed opportunity

Room Tip: Ask for river view and high floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you for your review.
It's always a huge pleasure to read that our hotel and our facilities are deeply appreciated.

We hope to see you soon