“for food loving 'car tourists'”

Hotel Lyon Metropole
Ranked #17 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“for food loving 'car tourists'”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel is reasonably priced, has an underground, safe parking. Some 3.5 km from Old Lyon, which is a nice area to go to have a fabulous Lyonnaise dinner (parking there also underground)
Bed is pretty good, self-service breakfast was included and had standard selection, also fruit. Shower could be more modern. Separate toilet room is a nice touch.
Brasserie nothing to write home about, but when tired and hungry fills you up OK.
Reception and breakfast personnel are comparatively friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Cindyline,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Hotel Lyon Métropole & Spa.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you during your next visit to Lyon.

Best Regards,

David HELENA
Hotel Lyon Métropole & Spa Director.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is just outside of the city and not suitable if you wish to quickly walk into the town. The hotel makes a clean and good impression, if you don't mind that it was originally build a few decades back. The hotel personnel is nice and competent. Unfortunately they have turned off the AC/heater in October, so that you have to open your window to get fresh air. Which I generally would prefer anyway but they have a lot of Miskitos which will make your good night sleep not possible. The food is only average which is for Lyon a real minus. The bathroom was renovated a couple of year back, with average quality and some design flaws. Whenever I took a shower the water leaked into half of the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel Lyon Metropole, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear traveller,

Thank you for choosing the Lyon Metropole while visiting Lyon.

I'm sorry to read of your quite disappointing stay with us !

All our food is freshly made by our chefs Georges Desriaux & Anthony Monnet, using the best ingredients. I'm sorry the food was not to your taste.

I hope that the memories you take home from Lyon are of the aspects of the hotel which you did enjoy.

Sincerely

David Helena
Lyon Metropole Director
Kharkiv
Reviewed September 4, 2012

There are some hotels which pose and boast too much but offer almost nothing and there are some like this one which quietly provide all the things a guest needs to make his stay comfortable. Metropole is one such place and finds high rating in my books. Well maintained rooms clean and tidy and had King sized Balinese bed, sleeping on these was very gratifying. Awesome swimming pool and recreational area, sauna, spa and Jacuzzi were magnificent and very refreshing indeed. Staff was intimate and polite and gave high quality services with absolute professionalism. Location of the hotel is not bad either, surroundings are quite and peaceful, overall wonderful place to stay and suited for all types of visitors.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We recently travelled through France and chose Lyon as a good 'stopover' to break up the journey back to Calais. We arrived at around 5pm to be greeted by the 'voiturier' who promptly took our suitcase and then parked the car in the underground car park. Checking in was wonderful with the most pleasant receptionists; The customer service was fantastic. The room was very big with a lovely bathroom. Attention to detail could be seen everywhere. There were 'male' and 'female' bath robes and slippers on hangers; I immediately changed and headed to the Wellness Spa for a well-earned massage whislt the rest of my family enjoyed the Olympic-size swimming pool. The evening meal and breakfast that were served were fabulous. There is not one bad comment that I can make about this hotel. It deserves its 4 stars and more. We are definitely going back to stay again but for longer this time!! One night at this hotel was not enough!!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool which was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Budapest
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have just arrived back from a romantic 5-day visit to Lyon. We chose Metropole because it had a discount offer and because we saw pictures of the pool. My overall opinion is very positive and I can recommend this hotel to families with kids all ages, couples, friends and solo travellers but not for business travellers.

Let's start with the only slightly negative thing. This hotel was built around the 60s and was renovated several times. But the building itself is very 60s-like, so don't expect any architectural esthetic orgasm. While I was sitting at the pool seeing the facade of the hotel I could imagine the young Alain Delon and Godard having party in the suite.

The hotel is a bit far from the city centre but it is situated on the bank of River Saone. Very calm and green neighborhood.

The rooms are more 3-star than 4 except that there is LCD tv in the rooms - but no minibar! You can feel the 60s in the bathroom and the toilet.Otherwise the rooms are very clean, comfortably sized and have view either on the pool or the river Saone. But who cares about the room when you have so many things to see in the city and you just come back for a sleep? Plus you have free wifi everywhere in the hotel.

The real suprise comes when you enter the wellness area, which is fabulous! It has a huge - and I mean HUGE - outdoor pool, a 25-meter indoor pool, an amazing fittness room, a separate gym for kids and all kinds of massage things. The wellness area is über 5-star!

The breakfast selection is not wide, but enough. The croissant is perfect as it is everywhere in France. And I had the best scrambled eggs ever in this hotel. I don't know how they make but it is just perfect. Just like the restaurant. The dishes are very tasty, well-prepared and the staff takes themselves and the guests very seriously. Prices are like everywhere in Lyon.

The staff was very kind and helpful and laughed a lot at my French. They helped us with all kinds of requests though not extraordinary ones.

So overall this hotel was a good choice and especially cost-effective.

Some practical suggestions.

1. Lyon is one of the most beautiful historical, romantic cities I have ever visited. A Paris without the Eiffel tower. The public transportation is exellent, so don't waste money on taxis. The bus No. 40 stops in front of the hotel and takes you right into the city center. Buy a day pass which is valid for all buses, trams, metro, trolley and even the funiculaire that takes you up to the cathedral. It costs EUR 5 for a day. You can buy it from vending machines or travel officies (at Place Bellecour, the end station of the bus 40). Single ticjets cost EUR 1,60 or 2 on the bus so the day pass is a bargain.

2. The best way to get to the hotel from the airport is taking the Rhone Express train. It goes every 15 minutes or half hour. Go to the end station Gare Part-Dieu, where there is a taxi station. Take the cab there. The train ticket costs EUR 24 (via online at www.rhonexpress.fr), the taxi costs EUR 20 from the train station. From the airport to the hotel you may pay up to EUR 80 but at least EUR 56.

3. If you come with kids, take them to the Parc de la Tete d'Or. It is fantastic! There is the zoo, a lake with boats, a small train, ducks walking freely, botanic garden, rose gardens - everything to entertain them. And it's huge. We spent 4 hours walking around. Then eat at the Le Pavillon restaurant! Nice French food.

4. All tourists go to the Old Town for dinner. You may try the bouchons there but don't expect a culinary experience. They cook for tourists. Instead I can recommend the Zinc Zinc restaurant for fine dining near the Centre du Commerce.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KrisztianSzabados
Belleair Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Not a bad place. Until our last moments there we very much enjoyed our stay. Here is what happened:

We had a rental car and needed to return it with the tank full. Unfortuantely, all of the late hours gas stations now require credit cards with smart chips. As technologically backwards (and arrogant Americans) we seem to be slow to this game.

The front desk graciously offered to have someone fill the tank for us on their card if we paid cash, and would bring a reciept. All seemed to go well; although, 13L seemed a bit much for 1/8 tank on a little Peugeot. All in all 20 EUR.

The next morning we had a very early train. When I went to the car, which had been moved, I found that NO GAS had been added to it. Apparently, whoever was sent to fill the tank, filled their own, not ours and left us without any ability to fill our tank the next morning before turning the car in...in addition to stealing our money.

I explained to the front deks what happened. Of course, he wanted to document everything, copies of receipts, etc. Nice offer, but I had a train to make. Now I'm waiting to see how much Hertz is going to ding me at 8.00 EUR/L (adding insult to injury).

Although Metropole has my name and my complaint, no one has bothered to contact me. Not even an apology. Had they done that, I would have kept this private.

If it weren't for this, I'd give the place 3 1/2 to 4 stars for what it is. The pool is nice, but it is open to the public as a swim center. Definitely ask for one of the few rooms with a "balcon."

The location is away from the city. Be prepared for a 20 EUR cab fee to get anywhere if you don't have a car.

One note, they (like many French hotels) will add breakfast to your room charge even if you don't have it. Just ask for it to be removed.

Except for the theif, the staff could not have been nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "balcon" (balcony).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family and would say that I have no complaints as such, but yes, I could not find anything which would make this place memorable even. Staff was nice, very polite and of course professional. Rooms were of good size with nice bed and modern bathroom, the lobby was really eye-catching though most of us would reject it calling old-fashioned but it was soothing to my eyes. No internet connections in the room were a setback but kids were very happy thanks to large sized swimming pool. Overall not a bad place to stay, good value for money and provides enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family