Le Phenix Hotel
Travelocity
$110
$106
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsthe riverold cityvaporetto stopwhirlpool bathunesco world heritagegreat base for exploringupdated roomsdidn t workperfect locationtwo sinksroom was largesouthern francesmall windowhotel is locatedeasy walking distancecomfortable bedstayed for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I came back to 'Le Phenix' after several years, and I was very pleased to see that the hotel is still the nice cosy hotel I knew in Lyon.
Ideally located on the Saone banks, you can just walk to the 'Vieux Lyon' and enjoy the famous 'Bouchon' and walk through the Italian style old city, discovering the 'Traboules' way through between the streets...
You can also cross the Saone river and discover the peninsula between Saone and Rhone.
You got it, I love Lyon, and le Phenix is a good place to rest after a day of discovery.
You may also inquire about the forbidden history of the building hosting the hotel ...
Rooms can be small or big, there is a wide range, but even small they are comfortable.
Breakfast is of good quality.
If you need a garage, book it with the room as it contains only 4 places and parking in the neighborhood is just impossible.
Complementary Wifi and friendly service completes the picture.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river Saone offer some great view on both the river and the peninsula. Double layer windows protect from the street noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have just spent four nights at this hotel travelling alone.
I was in a double room (purely because I love a big bed) and it felt like a small apartment rather than a hotel room! The sitting area was massive and the bathroom was completely renovated - the spa bath was AWESOME after a long day of sightseeing.
The bed as comfortable, clean and housekeeping were attentive and excellent.
Breakfast was delicious, a good continental range and it kept me going all day (two days I didn't even eat lunch!).
I had room service one night and that was delicious, including the half wine bottle!
The reception staff were amazing. I was in Lyon partly to look up family history and they even translated a letter to the archives for me, gave me great directions and when I returned with birth certificates etc, they translated them back to English for me, always with a smile!
I can not fault their service, bed, location, anything.
They even listened patientlywhile I attempted a little French!
I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Lyon.
Thank you Le Phenix, you have made a happy visitor of me :)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
phenix5, Responsable commercial at Le Phenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Hello Chelly,

All the staff thanks you so much for your nice advice, we hope to welcome you again at Le Phénix Hotel.

Best regards.

S.BERNARD - Manager

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We chose this hotel thanks to the great reviews on Trip Advisor. The location is perfect in the old town near restaurants, bars and a very nice pub! But the room was very small and the hotel was being redecorated (they were ripping up carpet the second day). Admittedly we went in February which is not tourist season. More disappointing: the hot water at the breakfast bar was not hot enough to make a good cup of tea; the "capuccino" sachet (which I resorted to after the cold tea) contained more cocao than coffee.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank emma f
phenix5, Responsable commercial at Le Phenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear customers,

We are really sorry that the works made in the common part of the hotel disturbed you: our workers are nevertheless very discreet, we also try to avoid the sensitive hours. The works touch their end now..
Our customers will keep nevertheless mind that these few days of works shall bring in the future a big comfort for them, and a hotel which gets a facelift always require some small temporary sacrifices during the works.
We let you make an e-mail for the reception by explaining the concern and by leaving your name and the room number where you accommodated: we shall make a commercial price on the next stay.
See you very soon,
Regards. S.BERNARD - Front desk manager

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were recommended to beautiful Lyon and this hotel by my French friend Manny. It was a fantastic hotel, a good price and right in the Old town of Lyon. We booked online and had a large room with an internal view so it was quiet and comfortable. We had a simple picnic breakfast in our room. Room was nicely appointed, comfortable bed, good bathroom and very helpful reception staff.

Great location for public transport and 'hop on hop off' bus. Walking distance t ail sutes. Highlight was set price lunch above the Hotel at the magnificent cathedral which you can get to by walking up thousands of steps or the wonderful funiculars. A restaurant on the edge overlooking Lyon. A superb meal fot less than 20 euros.. A few mins walk to the funicular.

The UNESCO world heritage sites are a must see.

It was a great hotel for a good price. Check out the hotel websites for best price.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms with view of the river are great but more expensive. We had a cheaper room with internal view which was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnePicnictraveller
phenix5, Responsable commercial at Le Phenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice advice, it is a real pleasure for us.

We hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel,

Best regards.

S.BERNARD

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I know its a bit late but just wanted to share that this was a very nice place to stay.
We reserved one night in early August based on tripadvisor recommendations. And we liked it so much that we reserved for another night later in the month when we were leaving.
It is not cheap but reasonable, and using a single large room for the four of us was very convenient. Very well located. quiet. and a very nice breakfast (included). On the second stay, the elevator was broken was this was not too much of a problem (only one floor up).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family