“Pleasant modern hotel”

Mercure Lyon Lumiere
Ranked #71 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had stayed here a few years ago and remembered it as a bit lacking in atmosphere. But I was pleasantly surprised. I had a horrendous journey and arrived after midnight. The desk clerk was very sympathetic and welcoming and gave me a privilege room which was spacious. I slept very well there indeed both nights. Breakfast is expensive but they do an express breakfast of coffee and croissant which is fine. It's not central, but only a two minute walk to the metro which was great for going into town for dinner after work. I wouldn't worry about staying there again

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Doremouse
MercureLyonLumiere, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Lumiere, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear guest,
thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your feeling about your stay with us. The night receptionist and myself are very grateful of having able to fully satisfy you.
We hope to welcoming you very soon again
Best regards
Laurent vernay
manager

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stunning building of Mercure Lyon Lumiere impressed me a lot in photographs and I decided to book this accommodation for my two days stay in the city. It proved to be a great decision. The moment I entered the building, I was left surprised. Not only the exterior, but interior of the building is also equally impressive. From reception to my room I found every corner, artistically decorated. Everything -rooms, bathrooms, food, staff and their services is the best here. I will love to recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
BOITESENFER V, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Lumiere, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you so much for this wonderful comments. We are thriled that you were so happy. thank you for sharing it with us.
Best regards
Lauren Vernay

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Situated on a arterial route in Lyon, very near Sans Souci Metro Stop on Line B (blue) and easily accessed from the main station Gare Part-Dieu, also the main stop for trains to the airport. On arrival at Lyon the hotel is two short metro journeys away. The metro itself is quick, clean and appears safe. I messed up an bought a €5 ticket which I found out is a travel card (damn CSE French!). there is a range of tickets from all day travel cards, evening (after 7pm) card and one or two hour tickets. You only need a one hour ticket, get the metro line B (blue) from Gare Part-Dieu in the Stade de Gerland direction. Change at Saxe-Gambetta to line D (green) and take it two stops to Sans Souci in the Gare Venissieux direction. When you exit the Metro on to Cours Albert Thomas look for a Avia Petrol Station and the hotel Lumiere is just past it.

The hotel itself is ok, it must have just scraped its fourth star in my opinion, the air con was rubbish and there was no hot water in the evening. The staff were great, BBC World and CNN on the tv, there was a bar and restaurant but as they were drilling outside I went in to Lyon to eat and a very quick sight see. There are a few sights and some shopping but I didn't have much time for either and the shops were the same as everywhere else and a lot were closed on a Monday, as were some restaurants and bars. I hunted down a traditional Bouchon (Lyonnais restaurant) the first choice from Trip Advisor, La Musee, but it was closed on a Monday. Instead I found a lovely bouchon in the Old Town called L'Amphitryon which had a menu for the day for under twenty euros and was a delight. It is situated on Place Neuve St Jean and is friendly, English speaking and a great spot to people watch. I'd recommend this a million times over crappy hotel food and is near Vieux Lyon metro on the same line as the hotel. I tried Lyon specialities but they are not all for the faint hearted!

Back to the hotel, the bathroom had broken fittings and a damaged door, the room is quite small, the bed was ok but the traffic noise level from outside was high, let alone the digging crew for the burst water main or whatever they were up to.

I did think the staff were excellent but I'm sure there are better hotels nearer to the centre.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main road side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Phatbloke
BOITESENFER V, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Lumiere, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing so many information on Lyon and our hotel. Th staff will be very happy that you found them nice and caring. As you know the city made some unexpected repair work in the avenue and that cut the hot water for the evening. congratulations for Chelsea European title last night.!
Laurent Vernay
General manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lyon is a beautiful town. There is the old town Vieux Lyon which is like a scene from Harry potters “Diagon Alley” and then there is the modern area which has the likes of Hermes and Superdry and all the other major brand names you know. The Mercure Lumiere is not located near any of those places but getting there is extremely easy. The Mercure is best for those in Lyon for business. It is a nice business hotel situated 100m from the San Souci Metro station. This is a highly efficient metro with trains running every 3-4 minutes. You never have to wait long. Getting to anywhere in Lyon only takes a few minutes. Its about 12 minutes (two lines) to get to Gare Part Dieu if you are catching a train out of Lyon (Or visiting the very large shopping centre situated here also). Mercure is also located across the road from the Lyon Velo bikes which are city bikes designed to get you around on some of Lyons large bike paths! These are fantastic. 5 euros for 7 days and you can ride them for 30 mins each time at no extra charge (There are 360 bike drop off points with 20-30 bikes in each place). I never paid any more after my initial 5 euro payment. Also located next door is a small supermarket for buying drinks or snacks and there is also a petrol station across the road if you are hiring a car and need petrol. So in essence the location has it all for the business traveller.

Room - I was located in room 512 which is an executive room (8 nights). Breakfast included, free minibar (with non alcoholic drinks - loved it), nespresso machine and a nice big tv. The room itself is clean, comfortable and small. There was a small desk. It has a safe, clean and adequate bathroom. The shower was a full shower with no bath (yay!). Cleaning of the room occurs early - say 1030 so either get out or ask them to come back. It was never a problem. Restocking of the minibar was done at a later stage in the day (Around 2pm if I remember correctly)
Internet is free, wifi and fast. You just log in with your name and email address and then your done.
There is an ipad dock on the desk, with a 30pin iphone adapter - great for playing your own music or charging your phone (provided it isn’t an iphone 5!)
This is an Accor hotel, and getting the points credited was not a problem (They don’t give you much with Accor status anyway so no big deal here)

Service: we had terrific service whilst there. Our keys stopped working a few times (don’t put them next to your phone - who knew!) and we needed some help with directions to a nearby gym. We were trying to improve our French whilst there so we tried to speak French to all the staff. I do think that they don't have great English which was actually good for us as it forced us to try, but just bring a phrase book if you want to ask anything.

Would I stay there again: No. But not because it wasn't a great business hotel, but because there are nicer places in the Vieux Lyon. Having said that, if you are going to Lyon purely for business then this hotel is for you. If you are going for a holiday, stay tuned for my other reviews. We tried 2 other hotels in Lyon (Hotel de Paris and Les Loge Des Advocats)

(Recent stays - B2 Boutique Hotel, Zurich; Town Hall Hotel, London; Holiday Inn, London; Novotel, York; Mauro Mansions, Amsterdam; Novotel, Annecy; Hotel De Paris, Lyon; Les Loge Des Advocats, Lyon)

Room Tip: 512 was perfect for us. Definitely not big though, but perfectly adequate for a business stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Good morning,
Thank you for your kind and thoroug comments that we will share with our staff.
best regards
laurent Vernay

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel deserves it's 'very good' rating, but there is nothing special (unique) about it. A good standard Mercure hotel - but with wonderfully charming and helpful staff. Check-in and check-out was a breeze and as they knew I was practicing my French, they were patient enough - although more than happy to leap into excellent English.

The restaurant menu is small but high quality 'Americo-French' food as the restaurant carries a cinema theme. Would I go back? - in a heart beat.

On a practical note, the bed was superb and the shower excellent (no bath in the room I stayed in). Clean and crisp linens.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LorenzoVisentin
H1535, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Lumiere, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Client,
thank you so much for you kind comments. it is always wonderful for the staff to know our clients liked our services; best regards
Laurent Vernay
GM

Reviewed December 4, 2012

While booking a room for one this hotel appeared expensive but services and facilities were just as fine as any other place in the city. Air-condition, coffee machine and clean comfortable rooms surprised me and more than that was highly co-operative, professional and prompt staff of the hotel. Though in outskirts of the city but very well connected with the city through train, although you can ask for cab or taxi and hotel staff will be more than happy to oblige. Wonderful ambience, nearby restaurants and shops and peaceful slow moving surroundings made my stay refreshing. I would surely love to come again here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is you typical Mercure everything is scripted per chain standards.

A bit further away from touristy area, but a jump on the métro will bring you there in 10 mins.

Good rooms, quiet area. And a rarity, a parking garage with plenty of space.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business