“Classic Sofitel in a good location”

Sofitel Lyon Bellecour
Ranked #30 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Bellecour for two nights in July 2012.

Very good hotel, lovely staff and a great location just around the corner from Place Bellecour (don’t be fooled by the name – it’s not actually in the square itself). Our room was fine, not huge and maybe a bit dark (we were at the back so no view of the river) but classic Sofitel really, with good bedding, a nice bathroom and a complimentary mini-bar (of soft drinks) which was replenished daily. That was a treat!

Breakfast was very expensive but in a few minutes you can walk to a number of bakeries and cafes for a nice pain au chocolat. The reception foyer is quite modern and trendy and there’s a good bar and a few little boutiques on the ground floor too.

Overall, there was no particular wow factor but we certainly didn’t have any complaints either, and all the staff we encountered were excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

1. Location right on the Rhone River and walking distance to the old town and main sites
2. Rooms are clean and reasonably large, bathroom was great big bushman's shower and new.
3. Our drinks in the fridge were complimentary.
4. Beautiful view of the city on level 8 where you have breakfast and there is a bar
5. Staff were very friendly and helpful

Overall a great experience, would come again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diane_T80
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a sweltering August weekend. Great location near Bellecour metro, with lots of bars, shops, restaurants, etc, in easy reach. Well suited for business travellers as well as couples.

Our room was a bit outdated but everything worked well, with a fantastic bed and good (if a bit noisy) air conditioning. Free non-alcoholic drinks in the minibar were a nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Golda135
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It's a very nice hotel in a very central location. However we had to move 2 rooms at check in as the air conditioning wasn't working and even in the room where we eventually landed the air con was barely working so we just decided to stick to it. The bar on the 8th floor has really nice view and I appreciated orering cocktails through an iPad I was given to choose what I wanted to drink. Overall I've stayed in much better Sofitels but I'm not sure if you would find something better in terms of location and service in Lyon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Newly redone and expansive bathrooms. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, courteous staff. We had to catch an early morning flight and had to leave by 5 am. Hotel had packed for us a continental breakfast! What a pleasant surprise. Coffee, juice, croissants and more. We were part of a tour group, so I can't tell you what the actual price paid was, but it was a great place to stay in Lyon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jefferis
Reviewed August 2, 2012

For many reasons I choose Sofitel when I travel. Since I do travel quite a bit and do not sleep to well, I do value the quality of sleep and hence am willing to pay a little extra.

There are a couple of things I do not like about this hotel, though:

When I left my room and came back in the evening, I found my luggage had been opened by the maids. There is no room for error becaus I knew how I left the zippers. So do make use of the safe boxes provided.

The service at breakfast is NOT good. The quality of the food is the same as in most Sofitels, but getting the attention of any waiter to order coffe is nearly impossible! I have been at this hotel 3 times now, and it was always the same.

Third, a phenomenon that is common to many Sofitels, they are crowded with Chinese. Not that I mind them in general, but in these hotels I have made the experience that they tend to be quite rude and ill-mannered, which is particularly annoying at breakfast.

For lack of real alternatives, I will probably go there again though...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JSDUI
SOGUEST, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Lyon Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience online with travellers and for booking with Sofitel hotels in the world.

Your feedback is very important to us to improve and take appropriate measures; as well as to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We learn from online memories, comments and client sharing concerns. It assists our brand to train and provide support to our team to perform and continuously improve a dedicate service to our clients.

At Sofitel Lyon Bellecour, it is our challenge to have you back. Today, it t is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Please feel free to write me back prior to a futur stop in Lyon.

Best regards,

Karine JOLIT
H0553-CR1@sofitel.com

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Very good hotel with the characteristics of the Sofitel chain: attentive staff, comfortable and clean rooms and very good localization and breakfast

Room Tip: Some rooms have river Rhone view