“Nice hotel in perfect location”
Review of Hotel des Artistes

Hotel des Artistes
Ranked #32 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Wilmette, Illinois
“Nice hotel in perfect location”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I just spent 10 nights at this hotel. It is my fifth stay and it has become a home away from home.
The rooms/bathrooms have been renovated and are very nice. The only thing missing is a make up mirror. Any requests I had the hotel was very accomodating. No iron in the room but you can
borrow one.
I do not eat a large breakfast so just went to a nearby cafe. I recommend "cafe des negociants".
You cannot beat the location and the view of the roof of the "theatre des celestins" is very
unique.
I will stay here next time I am in Lyon.

Room Tip: The standard room/bathroom is very small. I always chose the largest room on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mflyon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in Lyon in a quiet, safe, little area next to Saone River - (where on Sunday mornings they hold the most delightful farmer's market - only a block from the hotel.) Anyhoo, the hotel is average - nice with a nice entrance and lobby but overall, nothing special - but very very clean, nice bathrooms and linens and the bed was incredible (I have yet to sleep on less than a fantastic matress in Lyon!) I have stayed in a few hotels in the city and this one was the priciest (not by much mind you) but you don't really get more for the money. Wifi was great for email but spotty for skype and I didn't get CNN or any other English channel on TV - this was a big downer but didn't check if my TV was just not working or if CNN is never offered - most hotels do offer so it was strange. Mobile reception is the room was good but I couldn't get my phone on their wifi - but have to be honest here, this time I didn't try too hard so could be user error. Wifi fine on the laptop though. So, this is a perfectly fine hotel in the best and most lovely area of town - and would happily stay here again. Given the option though to save a few bucks - on similarly rated hotels, very near by, I might try one of them first. Good hotel though - I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nosda
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Excellent location in the very center of Lyon.

Cozy, recently refurbished and well kept double rooms in French style with all amenities, very good beds.

Separate bathroom and toilet, very clean and well lit.

Surprisingly not enough pressure on the shower in the bathroom - the reason being a tap put up too low, so that the hose was partly blocked.

Good French breakfast.

Reception service not unfriendly, yet somehow distant and not authentically welcoming - especially by the management (as opposed to the personnel).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our room was quiet and we slept very well, but it was very small. Short walk to major tourist attractions and many restaurants is a plus. However, it was just not really up to a standard I'd expect for the price- room size, tired bathroom fittings, very plain decor which felt more cheap motel than city hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Criticallywell
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our second visit to the hotel having stayed for 2 nights back in 2006. As we were touring France by car we wanted somewhere central with parking. As another reviewer has mentioned there is an underground car park at Place Celestines. Yes it is expensive (we incurred a 42 Euro charge) but it's the cleanest public car park I've ever been in and doesn't smell of pee (they also play opera and jazz!). The hotel has been done up since our last visit but this time we were on the first floor in a standard room (last time we were higher up the building). We didn't expect a huge amount of space but the room this time bordered on claustrophic as it had a really low ceiling. The bathroom was fine but my 6'3 tall husband found that his knees knocked against the wall when he sat on the toilet. Like other reviewers we found the reception staff, particularly when we arrived, to be a little sullen and unresponsive. So while the hotel is in a good location I think we'd probably try somewhere different next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElleGolightly
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a very good hotel. The staff did a great job and were very friendly and helpful!

The rooms are fairly small but clean and well-decorated. The central location is good for exploring the area, once you've managed to master the city's lay-out.

The only real negative to this hotel is parking. Unless one is very fortunate, the only place to park is in the parking garage across the street, which is 30EUR/day. It is less if parking after 10PM.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo