“Nothing Special”

Ranked #147 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Wisconsin
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This older hotel is located within easy walking distance to upscale shopping, and a longer walk to the old city. It is comfortable enough, but has some drawbacks, and is not what i would expect from a 4* hotel.

First, the WiFi is only available in the public reception and costs 7€ per 1/2 hour, and has a poor connection. The 3G service in the room worked well for my IPad, however.

The room was very warm and the heat not adjustable even when i changed the setting on the radiator. My room had a double door onto a tiny balcony, which i opened at night, but that let in all the street noise. The beds have heavy wool blankets between two sheets. The sheets were not fixed around the blanket, so they sometimes moved aside, leaving me uncomfortably in contact with the blanket.

The bathroom was new and clean, but the tub had only a half barrier to the room, making it likely that taking a shower would get the rest of the room wet. Though i followed the directions carefully, The safe in the closet jammed the second time i used it, making me late for a meeting while I waited for housekeeping to open it. I did not use it again.

The hotel has no restaurant of its own. Except for one small bistro across the street, the ones within just a few blocks seem to be pizza and sandwich type places. The room service menu was expensive, had only salads and one mystery dish (plat du jour) offered during limited hours. A long walk or taxi ride is required for more interesting lunch and dinner options.

The breakfast was the same each of the four days i was there: scrambled eggs and chopped hot dogs served warm, and a variety of cold foods, such as chopped fruit, yoghurt, cereal, bland cheese, baguettes and croissants, boiled eggs, etc. It was quite edible but not at all special.

The staff was friendly and helpful, more so than in other French hotels where I have stayed, but they had no control over the shortcomings of the property.

Room Tip: Guests pass most first floor rooms on the way to the breakfast room. Not the floor for someone want...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Passage1333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Venice
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a 4 star hotel, but it is not possible to get lunch at the hotel. Room service food is offered in the evening and at night, but is mediocre and very expensive. The air conditioning does not work well at all. It was fairly cool outside - around 12 degrees, but inside was stifling hot so that I slept without even a sheet over me. It is a beautiful old hotel, clearly called the 'Grand Hotel' on the sign above the entrance outside the hotel, but is at the above address, which is called B4 hotel on Tripadvisor. The hotel has a lovely lobby area and bar. The huge pity is that wifi is not available in the rooms and is very expensive at 7 Euros for half an hour! There are connections for laptops in the rooms. The room was big and so was the bathroom, but the decor is dated and not very upmarket.

Room Tip: ask for a river facing room - much nicer than facing buildings or the courtyard!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bethlehem, Palestinian Territories
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights from October 3 – 8th, 2012. Booked the offer ART AND CULTURE Classic room which had a validity of 24 hours for 1 night and had it extended for 4 more nights. Unfortunately the offer expired and we were offered a superior room at a higher price.

The offer Included:

- Breakfast VAT and city tax
- Upgrade to next room category (upon availability)
-1 bottle of Prosecco in the room;
-1 regular touristic excursion by boat on the river and by touristic bus (hop on and off) in the city.
-Early check-in and late check-out (upon availability)
-Credit card as guarantee
-Non refundable 100% of stay if canceled after 16.00 3 days before arrival.

The hotel on the Presqu'île is centrally located. A few minutes’ walk to the pedestrian rue de la République with its shops bars restaurants & banks. From there you can walk to Place de Bellecour, the river Quai St. Antoine or the Hotel de Ville passing by many other places of interest, such as the Église Saint-Bonaventure or Eglise St. Nizier, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Decorative Art museum. Many theatres are also nearby and easy to reach.

There are two other Hotels in the vicinity a Post office and Air France.

The staff was very polite and helpful throughout our stay.

We were upgraded to a larger room on the 4th floor 416 with a small French type balcony overlooking the Rhone River. As many other Hotels there are smaller and larger rooms.
A small fridge with a few soft drinks was in the room as well as a safe.

Both the room and bathroom were very clean and the public places.

My wife ordered breakfast in the room which arrived on time. The usual continental with a choice of juices tea or coffee croissant pain au chocolat butter jams etc. I had breakfast in the dining room with an additional selection of cereals ham eggs sausages and the usual juices coffee tea and so on.

Internet was free in the rooms by cable. There is a small business center were you had to buy your internet access. No Wi-Fi connection free of charge.

The bar opens from 19.00 – 21.00 and one does not need to go to the bar with all the other places available outside the hotel.

I would definitely return and encourage people to stay there but strongly advise Boscolo Hotels owners/managers BH-4 S.P.A to refurbish the entire hotel preserving its old time charm

Room Tip: Book an offer including breakfast and try and get an upgrade on the rooms on the 4 or 5th floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fuad K
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was my most dissapointing experience among all 4**** hotels in France I visited in past. I know that Hotel standards in France are lower, but this really was bellow my expectations.

I have chosen Grand Boscolo B4 hotel because of good experience with the Boscolo chain in other cities and because of very central location.

Upon entering I was initially surprised when the receptionist handed me a huge key, but I accepted the explanation that they are very traditional hotel.But - they are not only traditional, everything is very old and need more then just refurbishment.

I have booked an Executive room, got one on the 4th floor... , leaving the ancient elevator I was welcomed by non pleasent smell of old... . The room was large, but the textile floor did not look clean (probably just old...). The bathroom shower did not work ... If I wanted to activate the shower I had to constantly push the button on the tap with my knee, otherwise the water flowed only from the tap... When I was leaving the hotel in the evening (first day) I asked the receptionist to check that, but nothing happened....

Refrigerator (mini bar) in the room did not work properly, drinks were warm.... but due to previous experience with shower I did not even try to report this to the staff...

The old wooden door are disturbing as well, you can not close them without the loud slam... The beds are very old, but comfortable... , The problem is that they use woolen blankets between two sheets and I really hate those woolen blankets....

Breakfast - OK, but that's all...

In short - disappointing!

Lyon can not offer a lot of centrally located hotels (I will always avoid Lyon - Part Dieu), so I will probably book Boscolo Grand at my next visit again.... because of it's fantastic location.

Otherwise this hotel could only be recommended to those who are willing to pay the price for 4 stars, but not expect much.... or check Carlton hotel on the other side of the street - it is under renovation at this moment, but could be good (Accor/McGallery??)

Room Tip: if you get 430, first check refrigerator and water tap in bathroom :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lyon hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

So close to all the action and in a great old building. A few modern updates but still a lot of clasic character. The rooms are so big and a great change space to stretch mid holiday, yay. Very pleasant staff. A must. We will return.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jeffrey B
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Boscolo Grand Hotel (B4) in Lyon in August 2012.

The hotel is centrally located within a walking distance from all major attractions in the city. If you want to go further away (for example to the Cité Internationale / conference centre), there are both metro and bus stops close to the hotel.

We had booked an ordinary double room, but we we positivelt surprised by the spacious room that we got. It had a very good bed, a walk-in closet, a nice bathroom with a bathtub, and a balcony.

The breakfast was typical from French hotels, i.e. not very good. We had breakfast at the hotel the first morning, but the others days we chose to buy food elsewhere.

I can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had a bad experience with British Airways who decided that I couldn't have my original hotel a few weeks before departure. After turning down a number of alternatives I accepted a booking at the Boscolo Grand. Once i had read the reviews on TA, I must admit to being a bit apprehensive.
The hotel proved to be much better than expected, on arrival we received a warm reception and were given a room on the third floor. The room was large by French city standards but very clean and pleasantly decorated. The beds were comfortable enough and the bathroom was huge. the room was equipped with mini-bar / fridge( as usual for any hotel the prices were high) there was however plenty of room to buy goods outside and use the refrigerator to keep them cool. There were no notices against this ( I have seen this elsewhere). The only complaint I had on our first night was a lack of A/C, it didn't trouble us until after bedtime so didn't raise the issue until morning. The young lady on reception did apologise and advised that there were engineers working on it that day and if we had any problem then let them know and they would find us an alternative room that night. On our return though the room was perfect after a very hot day out!
I know that there are areas in the hotel, such as carpeting, that could do with replacing but on the whole it is very welcoming and is in an excellent location.
As far as parking goes, you can park along the river from 7pm until 9am free. I discovered on the first morning that I could park right outside the front door 24 hours a day free. I originally thought that this was a drop off area only, space is very limited but if you can park here.
Breakfast was perfectly adequate buffet style breakfast with extras available on request. They have scrambled eggs and hot dog style sausages available from the buffet too so you do have that option as well as croissants and pastries, cold meats, fruit and cereals available.
After the initial hiccup with the A/C everything else was fine. If you do have a problem bring it to their attention and I'm sure it will be remedied for you.
One final word, the double glazing was excellent as the amount of noise it kept out was amazing. It was only when I opened the patio doors that I realised how much city noise was being reduced.

Room Tip: We were in room 315 and I have no complaints, overlooked the side street but is near the river and i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple