“I liked it”

Le Palais Saint Jean
Reserve with
Le Palais Saint Jean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,002 of 3,690 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2014

Looking at some of the other reviews listed here I must have come on a good day. Had one of the set menu and found the staff and the food to be very good.

Reviewed September 28, 2014

walking in the old city of Lyon looking for a restaurant is a challenge. Most restaurants look the same and have the same food (looking for local food, no wonder). So we were looking for a nice place with friendly staff and with good food.

the restaurant offers some local dishes. it is not inexpensive but the food was good. We started with Foie Gras and Pate that was composed of chunks of meat glued together with their gravy.
I tried the veals head while my wife took and Entrecote. While the Entrecote was good, the veals head was very interesting (turns out it is a local specialty). I had this in the past in Ireland and the dishes are very different.
I finished with cheese while my wife took the Tarte Plalines, both were excellent.
The staff was friendly and we spent there a nice evening.

Reviewed September 10, 2014

We stopped here for diner having had lunch the previous day at the other restaurant on the square. The other is far superior. We had the E17.50 menu, and the soup was ok, sausages ok, and ravioli not so good. The chocolate mousse was ok. The service was acceptable but nothing special. When we compared their E34.50 menu against the quality we had eaten at Archange the previous night for E29.50... In a far superior ambience, within 10 minutes walk....Well that's why we ended up choosing the cheapest menu to just get fed and go home. It does that for the cheapest menu, but for the dearer versions....choose somewhere else. La Comptoir du Boueff perhaps.

1  Thank Samiseal
Reviewed September 3, 2014

Nothing special. Good ambiance, and a place to eat enjoying the city.
It is clean, and as many others in Lyon, service is not their strength.
They have a daily menu with three different options (price changes with each one).
In this case, we begin with a waiter, and for our fortune, they made a shift change. From then on, we had a wonderful waitress, which made a big difference, with a million dollars smile.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

As I walked along the traboules of Vieux Lyon, I decided to have dinner in one of the restaurants, because I love historic setting, narrow streets with tall buildings on either side, almost like Venice, plus the cool air in a hot summer day, made this a ideal environment to dine. When it comes to choosing restaurants, I didn't have many choices, because this was one of the only restaurants that I found, that has their menu in English.
I had fois gras for starter, and steak with red wine sauce for main. The food was delicious, fois gras was well seasoned and came with very good bread, nice presentation. The steak was cooked to medium perfectly, very large portion, and the red wine sauce was great as well. The dessert was a little disappointing, a bit too sweet for me and didn't taste fresh.
The service was alright, I felt they were short of staffs on the day, only having two waiters serving about 10-15 tables, but they were friendly , explained the food to me in English, and the food came fairly fast as well.
Overall, I think this is a good restaurant to choose around that area, its a little pricey (3 courses 2 drinks for 40euros), but I think it was worth it.

Been to Le Palais Saint Jean? Share your experiences!