“Solid, cheap french food”
Review of Les Chandelles

Les Chandelles
Ranked #2,677 of 3,437 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux Lyon - Quarantaine
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Good selection of menu choices, plenty of a la carte, but the set menus are good as well. One of the busiest places in Vieux Lyon on a Sunday night, and offers a 30% discount if you arrive pre 7.30pm. Waiters were attentive and let us stay late to finish our wine. Food was nice for what you pay. Possibly not the best restaurant in the city but on our experience it was fine.

1  Thank Giles D

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Excellent kitchen in "bouchon" style.. For early eaters (Northern Europeans) the house offers a 30% discount on the menus...very competitive...for le Vieux Lyon...

1  Thank Werner W
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Lousy food in the heart of old town.There is many better choices and I would never go there again.Food was very lousy and the service marginal at best.

1  Thank Stefan S
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I will make it very easy on you: don't go there!

And here is why...
My wife and I ordered what we thought was difficult to fail: "home made" vegetable soup, salad and "tomato and basil pasta". So after we eventually managed to catch the waiter's attention who was talking to his mate in the kitchen with his back facing the customers here is what came:
- soup was almost cold
- green salad was brown as in spent a couple days outside the fridge
- instead of tomatoes on the pasta, is was a weird sauce which came straight from a cheap can.
- lemon tart was average but not bad as they probably bought it from somewhere where it can't be that bad.
- I almost forgot, one slice of bread had some white sauce on it (which didn't come from our dishes). I assume it fell on somebody else plate before and they just put it back in the basket.

To that, you add flies all over the place, and toilet in the basement which ceiling probably hasn't been cleaned in a year or two and you get a clear picture of the place.

So if you want good Lyon food in a real restaurant for the same price, move one street behind and you will hit on some very nice places (in Rue du Boeuf or Place du petit college)

1  Thank fr_phil
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Okay I have to admit, I was warned at our loge that most of the restaurants in Rue St Jean were tourist traps and I would be better off eating the next street over, but those restaurants were full on the night we arrived. There were quite a few people eating at Les Chandelles and the hostess was friendly and warm so we thought we would try it. In hindsight, the trattoria down the same street was much better and half the price!

Service was rushed and not terribly friendly, the food was edible, but unremarkable and seriously overpriced when you go one one block over and can get 3 courses for the same price as 1 course here (and better food too). It wasn't horrid, but I wouldn't waste my money there again when I know there are so many better places nearby.

2  Thank Nefi