Le Poelon d'Or
Ranked #48 of 3,437 Restaurants in Lyon
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Carnot - Gailleton
Description: The whole team is happy to welcome you from Monday to Friday for you to discover a fine an genuine cuisine from LYON, at the heart of the Ainay quarter. Member of the "Authentique Bouchon Lyonnais" association
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Was seated at my usual table in a Lyonnais bouchon (next to the kitchen, where Americans seem to be seated in disproportionate numbers). Food was good, but certainly not spectacular (and a mild disappointment in the context of the many very positive reviews of this restaurant). Had a salad Lyonnaise, the beef with shallot sauce, and the "French toast" for dessert -- each was good, but none was memorable. Good value in the pots de vin. Service was good, especially considering that only two servers were covering a busy dining room. Overall, a serviceable meal, but certainly no better than several (randomly selected) bouchons in I have eaten recently.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you want to experience true Lyonnais cuisine you could do worse than the Poelon d'Or. I visited this restaurant on a rainy Thursday night, and being solo I was asked to join a table with two Americans (who were very friendly - but that's beside the point). They have reasonably priced menus but I wanted to choose a la carte, so the bill ended up just over EUR40.

The signature starter is a steamed artichoke heart with a generous slice of foie gras in the middle: delicious although not exactly diet. The mains was a yummy Parmentier de Canard - think shepherd's pie but with shredded duck as meat; the dessert was a lavender crème brulée that had a surprising abundance of lavender. Overall a very good meal!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was recommended by the hotel du simplon (a very nice find). The hotel did not know about the restaurant, but it lookd good so we tried it.
We wanted to eat every meal there but he was closed on weekends. The service was friendly, food was Michelin quality, and the atmosphere made one feel at home in a foreign country. Portland is our home but this made me feel part of an extended family.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

If you are looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion, have a great time with your loved ones, or treat your taste-buds on a trip to heaven, then this is the place to be.
It has a great ambiance and serves traditional local dishes. And all this for a good price.

You might think I am somehow related to this restaurant (I'm not) because of the lack of any negative comment, but I just can't think of any. If I am ever returning to Lyon I will definitely visit again!

Oh, and book in advance if you want to be sure of a table.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We sought dinner in a typical bouchon... and we were happily surprised to find "Le Poêlon". Not only was the food perfectly cosy and warming, the flavors were a grand pleasure to our palates. Very good, traditional and charming. Also, the interior design added to our pleasure!

2  Thank Zanotti-A-broad