“A MUST!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What an incredible experience my fiancé and I just had here in Lyon! Unfortunately we are only here for one night, but very (very, very) fortunately we stumbled upon this restaurant thanks to reviews we found here on Trip Advisor. Not only did we have unbelievable food... started off with foie gras macaroons as an amuse bouche, then moved on to a delicious frog leg/chorizo appetizer paired perfectly with our chef-recommended wine, an amazing duck main course with mango & passion fruit sauce, and the lightest, fluffiest, most delectable tiramisu I've ever had.... The service was also unforgettable! The chef/owner is so friendly, so helpful, so passionate about the food he is serving and his restaurant, it's just an overall fantastic experience!! If you are in Lyon, go to La Gargotte!!! This dining experience surpassed the lunch we had in Vielle Lyon by far!

1  Thank NYC725
There are newer reviews for La Gargotte

Reviewed June 19, 2012

A short walk from the Croix Paquet Metro station brought us to the La Gargotte which opens at 8 pm. At this time we did not need a reservation but later it quickly filled up. The owner/chef clearly has a passion for fine food and it comes through as he describes each dish on offer in English to us. We took the fixed price menu for three courses which he entirely changes every month. There were five choices for each course and all sounded so good it was a difficult choice. The service was impeccable and unobtrusive and we were under no pressure to vacate our table. It was truly an evening to remember with feelings that resulted in a kiss on both cheeks with the owner/chef!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Rue Royale is a hive of restaurants in Lyon and you won't go wrong eating in this one.
Very welcoming owner/chef and very good food. Changing menu every month/with seasonal availability, was very good when we ate there in June.
Wine selection is small but perfectly formed and reasonably priced.
Our selection was - Beef terrine with Fois Gras and Cauliflower soup for starters, both really good, followed by Duck and Pastilla for mains which were both great, wine was a very nice Crozes-Hermitage.
A little hot in there in June, but worth it for sure.
Nice work Ivan, we'll be back if we visit Lyon again!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My three table-mates ordered gaspacho as their starters, and they all felt that it was fizzy. It was a hot evening, so, if was made in the morning, and, if it wasn't keep under proper conditions, we assumed that it was a sign of fermentation. Mentioned it to the waiter, who was nice, but he didn't seem too worried about our observation. My friends all reported having tummy problems in the night. My food was acceptable but not memorable.
My experience is from last summer, but I just think foodies should be aware that, we sat on the patio, which is in the street. Our table wasn't even that close to the sewer opening, but there was a horrible smell of "gutter" in the air. We could have moved to a table inside the restaurant but it was hot in there (as you might have noticed air-conditioning is not so common in Lyon). The smell was not the direct fault of the restaurant, but, this is just a warning about open air dining in general on rue Royale in the summer.

2  Thank Michelle G
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Hi,

We try to keep only the best of us to satisfy our clients and we are sorry you didn't like our restaurant.

We are suprised to read you have eaten on the patio last summer and you couldn't eat indoor because the restaurant wasn't air-conditioned. The air-conditioning system was put in 6 years ago and we have no patio since the end of summer 2010.

We hope you'll understand our reply to your opinion.

La Gargotte

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was taken to this restaurant with a work colleague, it was suppose to be a business dinner ... but it was way more than that! It was unique, the service unbelievable and food .. words can not describe. Traditional French apparently ... but all I can say it was deliciously French, very friendly, relaxed and one of my highlights of my many trips to France, but more so the highlight of my visit to Lyon.
It was at least a year ago I was there, but still I hold fold memories ... the waiters could speak English well enough for me to be understood and for me to also understand them... a real experience, from the decor (I have now the salt and pepper shakers) to the cosy and homely atmosphere to the mouth watering menu! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole package, and cant wait to visit again ... would be very romantic for those in France wanting something other than the "normal" .... and something a little different from the rest. A must try and not to be missed if in Lyon!