“Good, but not impresive”

Hilton Evian-les-Bains
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Evian-les-Bains
Tsukuba, Japan
“Good, but not impresive”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Hotel is well located. Has very interesting views if you are in a top floor facing the lake.
The SPA is not impressive.
The food was expensive but the quality only average.
Tinny Executive Lounge full of families (busy and noisy). Not a place for relax...

Room Tip: Higher floors, facing lake!
1 Thank naui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wemmel, Belgium
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hilton is a bit more expensive than many others in Europe, perhaps because it is in a resort area, but there are specials and as a Hilton Honours member it is also available with points. That's a good deal. In all respects it lives up to the Hilton standards. Breakfast is not included. Parking is extra as well.

2 Thank George4343
London, England.
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed for three nights in August. The weather was great and Evian looked superb. The hotel is well situated on the banks of the Lake and is in easy walking distance of all the sites.

My room was a good size, brightly furnished and well maintained although it wasn't made available until 5pm on the day I arrived so I had to wait around for a couple of hours which wasn't the best start. The room had a very small balcony looking out from the side of the hotel but no seating there. I was disappointed that my Hilton Diamond Honors membership didn't secure me a better room but there was a welcome gift, Exec Lounge access and Wifi and the other Honors perks as usual.

All the hotel staff I met were friendly and helpful and I appreciated the complimentary shuttle ride from the station. The Exec lounge is at the top of the hotel and this offers a beautiful terrace where breakfast, drinks etc are served overlooking the lake. Service in the Exec lounge was mostly warm but always overstretched and tables were slow to be cleared and breakfast items were not topped up promptly.

All in all I enjoyed the Hilton Evian-les-Bains and would happily recommend this hotel for your stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Midwest
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I had to wait one hour and half to check in. It was written that the check in time is 2 pm but we had to wait until 4:30 to check in. They knew that we were waiting but it looked like our room was the last to be cleaned. Many cars were parked outside the entrance because the parking facility was full. However, the front desk lady (who looked unfriendly to me) told me to go to park the car in the parking facility. I went through every floor and every aisle at least twice, but there was no spot available. I had to pay to get out from the facility. It was very unkind of her to do this to me.

We had a twin room, but there was only one side table next to one bed and I had no place to leave my glasses, watch and flash light. Next day I told this problem to the housekeeping and also to the front desk. Both of them said that they would find and bring it to our room but nothing happened.

When I checked out I had to wait more than 30 minutes to get my car. I gave the parking card to the front desk lady (her name is Hajime.) I somehow felt that she was unfriendly, uncaring and lacked in sincerity when she said she would take care of that. I went back twice to check if it was being taken care of. Each time she said her colleague is taking care of it. I was puzzled because we were the only one waiting. After 25 minutes I told her I want to speak to the manager. Then, she gave my parking card to the guy named Stephan and he brought my car to the front entrance. My parking card was just sitting in front of her for all this time.

I travel a lot. However, I have never been treated so badly. They made me feel that I was the least important and the least cared for. My waiting for a long time is nothing to be concerned about by them. I am not worthy of their attention at all. I got the special non-refundable price which was a substantial discount and this might be something to do with the way they teated me. This hotel may be for wealthy clients from the Middle East and other places willing to spend a lot of money and not for common people. I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: Expensive rooms probably nice.
10 Thank GerogeY
London
Reviewed August 19, 2012

After a very delayed Swiss Air flight, we arrived tired, wet and not in the best of moods. However, Maxim behind the reception desk imediately made us feel better. He was only the first of the staff that we met who were superb. Friendly, polite and attentive. Thanks guys. The hotel is beautifully situated overlooking the lake and only a 5 minute walk from the ferry terminal and the many restaurants in Evain. The hotel is very up to date , very clean and fresh. Rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are really rather good, with a separate shower and bath - all of which was kept very clean by housekeeping. Indoor (small, but welcome) and outdoor pools were very good. There is a scenic step down terrace to the lakeside road and a small incline to the main road into town. If you can get a balcony room - DO. It was a very relaxing few days. We would highly recommend this Hilton and will return.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues then get a taxi from the ferry terminal to the hotel. The taxi rank is j...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CTontour
North Yorkshire
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at The Hilton in July, during the Evian Masters Golf Tournament. Evian is quite a small place and the Masters brings in lots of people so the rates were pretty high for a regular Hilton.

Our room was lovely and very clean and the main reception areas were really nice as well, but the breakfast area and the outside areas are tired, a bit grubby and in need of refurbishment.

Also picking up on other travellers reviews - I think it's pretty bad to have to pay so much money for Internet connection & it wasn't great connection either!

Another gripe would be that when we checked in and went to the bar for a drink we were told by the bar waiter that they had stopped serving. It was before the advertised bar closing time so my husband pushed it a little bit and we did get a drink, but it was served grudgingly and we felt uncomfortable. The same thing happened on the following evening when we returned for a night cap after a dinner with friends, again we were well within the bar opening times, but we were made to feel difficult because the staff wanted to close up.

On the positive side the hotel is in a perfect location, it's close to the airport and it's in the heart of Evian, which is beautiful. You can also easily get to Lausanne via the water taxi and it's close to other really pretty and interesting places to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carolyn566
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stay in Hilton's all the time, they range for grotty hollows to absolute delights!! This one is the latter!! It is wonderful, dont let the 70's look fool you this is a modern hotel inside with a wonderful location. Not a spec of dust or shower fungus anywhere to be seen.
The budda spa was fantastic and very relaxing but quite small. I think with all things especially hotels that you get what you pay for. And at this price point the hotel is fantastic.
To sum up, I thought the hotel was great, the staff were great and teh area was great!!!
PS Steak on room service was perfect also!! Love those french fries!!

Room Tip: I had a exec suite and it was large with balcony, also had large bathroom (2 sinks, shower and bath...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business