“5 star dinners, 1 star breakfasts, 2 star location and 2 star premises” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Les Ancolies Hotel

Les Ancolies Hotel
Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Courchevel
Singapore, Singapore
“5 star dinners, 1 star breakfasts, 2 star location and 2 star premises”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

It's nice, but apart from the food there is no point staying here for skiing. You are too far from Chourchevel 1850 to get the real advantage of the Courchevel apres-ski and spirit of the place. Take the same money and stay in a much better location and quality of place at other resorts.

Food: As per other comments Dinner is fantastic if you like French food - the chef is imaginative and extremely talented. Every night is a feast.
However they should take 10% of the cash/effort away from dinner and put it towards breakfast which is the same poor fare (considering it is for skiers) every day.

Rooms: Very recently renovated, so the rooms and bathrooms are clean and bright. But cramped and cheap-feeling and many have a nondescript view.

Lobby/Lounge: Old fashioned, cramped. But because of the excellent service it feels actually very welcoming as the stay goes on. Good free wi-fi access in the lounge (moderate in rooms).

Location: Absolutely not ski-in/ski-out. Only a minute or so to walk (uphill) for good skiers. 5-10 minutes walk for beginners or snowboarders. Not walking distance to any kind of night life. You'll need to call a cab to and from 1850 (if you have a mobile this is very easy and quick and is about 30 euros each way) after dinner as the busses are 1 an hour at that time.

I didn't have a bad time here, and if you really want tio ski Courchevel, and this is the only available option, then it's fine, but it isn't really worth it, especially if you have beginners with you or want good Apres Ski.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SingTravel063
IsabelleBretagne, Manager at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
I would like to say about this comment that we are really ski in/out, except of course if the client do not know skiing but in that case we can't do anything except walking.
Concerning ski shuttles, this client came at the opening of the resort and the shuttle bus run with a reduce timetable. From the 18th december till the end of the season, the bus shuttle (situated at 200 meters from our hotel) runs every 30 minutes and you can be for less that 10 minutes to 1850. Thank you very much for the compliment about our restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Nice hotel, excellent base for skiing. The hotel is skiing distance from the door of the hotel to the Gondola that takes you to 1850 from where you have everything. The gourmet food is excellent and the service very good. Great value for money. The spa is a +.
Is a perfect 3 stars hotel for a nice ski week. we have a great time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
west yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

We very much enjoyed our return to Le Ancolies. Our initial telephone call and e-mails were dealt with most helpfully and efficiently by Isabelle (Mme person) and our reception on arrival was equally welcoming. Our room was comfortable and well fitted although the decor was somewhat faded and would benefit from a rehab.. The lounge/bar area was very comfortable and warm although drinks were more expensive than local bars (to be expected in the pleasant surroundings I suppose). The restaurant was well laid out and very attractive. The staff were always welcoming and the service excellent. The food served at dinner was interesting and well presented although a little too adventurous for our tastes at times and we would have appreciated a some choice which could possibly have been arranged earlier in the day!

New Forest National Park Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

I Stayed at this hotel for a week with my husband in March after reading good reviews on Trip Advisor. I sent an E mail in advance requesting a room with a nice view, and double bed if possible. I received a prompt reply from them confirming this, and thanking me for choosing their hotel.
We booked with Crystal, flying with Thompson from Gatwick to Chambery, as is the shortest transfer, but were told at check-in that we would be flying to Grenoble instead, as the pilot was not qualified to land at Chambery. Apparently they have to pass an extra test for this. We were also delayed for two hours. Not a great start.
However no further problems with transfers etc and Crystal rep apologised. On arrival at Courchevel 1550 you transfer to a minibus for the short journey to the hotel, as the road is narrow and winding.

Les Ancolies is situated at one end of the street, in an elevated position, giving lovely views if you have a room with balcony. 1550 is a quiet resort with a few bars, restaurants, supermarket and ski shops. The Grangette telecabine is in the centre of the main street, taking you straight up to 1850. It is a few minutes walk from the hotel but you can also ski to it.

You enter the hotel on the 3rd floor, where reception, bar and lounge are in one area. There are a couple of steps down from here into the dining room. The hotel was built in the 1980's and is family run, the husband being the chef. The decor is rather dated at present, but refurbishment is in progress. This is done in the summer when the hotel is closed, so no inconvenience to guests. The lounge has cream coloured leather armchairs and sofas arranged around a central log fire, which was lit in the evenings. There is a piano, but unfortunately the regular pianist had injured himself on the slopes, so was unable to play.Talented guests are welcome to play if they wish! The hotel is very clean, with friendly staff and a homely relaxed atmosphere.
The bar is served by a chap named Robin, who is half English, half Welsh, and is primarily an English teacher. He speaks French, German and Spanish, and knows how to make an English pot of tea! He is on duty through the night for guests needs or emergencies, and squeezes fresh oranges for breakfast!
There is a basket of croissants on the bar at teatime for returning guests, and you can have your tea/ coffee in your room if you wish.

ROOMS
We had room 406 on the top floor (above reception etc)accessed by lift or stairs. The rooms are not all the same in size or design. Our room was quite small, but fine for two people. Large double bed, TV on wall bracket ( CNN and Eurosport) large built in wardrobe, dressing table and chair, bedside lockers, and a luggage table. We had a separate WC and a decent sized bathroom with shower over bath, toiletries, and a small chest of drawers (containing hairdryer). The towels were clean and soft. Just ask if you need more, as the staff are very helpful and keen to please. Everything was very clean, beds made, and turned down at night for you. There were cotton robes and slippers (new!) on the bed, in case you want to use the jacuzzi/ steam room.
Our room was on a corner with a large balcony giving us great views of 1550, 1650, and the surrounding mountains. Very pretty at night with all the lights. There is a long sledge run from 1850 to 1550, which passes near the hotel. We could watch them going past from our balcony, as it is lit in the evening. Our balcony sliding door was very stiff, which we reported, but nothing done. Probably needs replacing.
If you look on the Les Ancolies website there is a photo of our room.

BOOT ROOM
This is at ground level accessed by the lift. It is quite small but warm and dry. You are given the same locker number as your room. There are two small benches, but found it easier to put boots on in the area outside the lift, as there are some low benches there and more room. Exit boot room, cross the small hotel service road, onto a short uphill path opposite. Put skis on at the top and ski down the end of the toboggan run to the Grangette lft to 1850. We only encountered one sledger in the morning all week.
To ski back to the hotel, take the blue Tovets run, keeping to the right, and drop down on to the path you came in on ( bit of a shuffle) keeping your eyes out for sledges coming round the corner. They only cross your path at one point, so just listen before you cross. You then ski down the uphill path you walked up to the road, so almost doorstep.
Beginners would walk down the road to the Grangette lift. I don't know if 1550 has its own ski school.

SKI AND BOOT HIRE
The Ski Location shop near the lift gives discount to hotel guests, and will give you a lift back to the hotel. I hired some skis for the day while he sharpened my edges. Cost 18 euros for Dynastar Legends, and he didn't charge me for doing the edges. His wife is a speed-skiing champion, lots of photos in the shop.

MEALS
This would be your deciding factor about this hotel. They pride themselves on the gourmet cooking and extensive wine list. If you enjoy 6 courses of gastronomic, artistically arranged meals, worthy of a Michelin star, you will love it. If you prefer large hearty meals, chips,lasagne etc this is not the hotel for you.
Example; Amuse Bouche ( a small taster to begin)
Soup (different every night)
Small course eg scallops,with endives, or snails in tarragon.
Meat course, with veg terrine or puree
Large selection of cheeses
Dessert

All very artistically arranged on the plate. There was a menu in French on the table each night and the waiter ( a lovely young man named Jonathon) described each dish in detail to us as he brought it. We both speak French quite well, but I heard him speaking to other guests in English to translate. I dread to think what a top restaurant in England would charge for a meal like this. The local house wines are the cheapest, and very good, but around 25-28 euros a bottle. If you don't want to buy bottled water ask for l'eau de robinet ( tap water,perfectly good).
Tuesday night was the chef's night off. We were given a choice of fondue, raclette, or raw meats to cook at the table. We had pork, steak and veal which we cooked bbq style on a hotplate rubbed with oil and garlic, along with gratinated potatoes and salad bowl of mixed lettuce. This was a nice change as everyone was chatting away as they cooked, and made a very casual atmosphere. A dessert choice of tarte tatin ( apple tart) or a mixed berries tart followed.

Breakfast is a buffet of croissants, cake, jams etc, cheese, ham, yoghurt, fruit salad, fresh fruit bowl, cereals, warm pancakes and warm boiled eggs. If you go into breakfast early they are soft (egg cups provided). There is a toaster on the table. Tea/ coffee is waiter served. There were some lovely croissants like small apple turnovers.

SKIING INFO
This was our first visit to the 3 Valleys, so we bought a whole valley lift pass. We managed to ski 9 resorts including the furthest, Val Thorens. Took us about 2 hours to get there skiing and using the different lifts. 1850 is the most expensive area, with a pizza costing 21 euros on the slopes. Half a beer 5 euros, cafe creme 7 euros. Prices a bit cheaper further away from Courchevel. Just fill your boots at breakfast so you don't need lunch ( get more skiing in! ) I kept going on Vin Chaud, around 4 euros. 1650 has some nice slopes, and not as busy as 1850 ( although we didn't find it busy anywhere -empty restaurants, small lift queues, hardly any Russians). Access to 1850 is much easier and quicker from 1550 as 1650 is on the other side of the valley, and takes a couple of chairlifts to ski there. from 1850.
We had lovely sunny warm weather, lower sl;opes a bit slushy (La Tania, St Martin de B) apart from Val Thorens when it was cold and snowing! Great piste conditions though.

We had a great week and I would certainly recommend Les Ancolies Hotel to a friend as long as they enjoy Gourmet food.

3 Thank Figgygirl
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband and I live in Switzerland and on a Friday morning we decided that we wanted to ski in Courchevel the next day and hoped we wouldn't have to do a day-trip if we were able to find an available hotel. We knew this would be tough as most of these ski hotels are bookable for a minimum of seven nights. We checked around and found two options. One at Latitudes for 300€ and here for 150€ B&B. Since it was just one night, we decided to go with this one.

The reservations staff was very friendly and responded to my email request immediately with the price. i called with my credit card to book the room and received an email confirmation. I was just thrilled to get a decent deal for a single night stay, a Saturday night no less and in mid-March... not necessarily half term or anything, but still a good time to ski.

We arrived Sat morning but went straight to the slopes so we didn't get to the hotel until about 6:30pm. The parking lot was pretty small and full, but we still found a place. We were promptly checked in and shown to our room.

It was pretty much what we expected for a 3-star hotel. Fairly basic, but the bathroom was fairly spacious and updated, and most important, clean. The toilet area is separate from the shower and sink in its own separate room. The bedding was fine, but it is two beds pushed together, not a double bed.

The breakfast was fine, meats, cheeses, breads, the fruit salad didn't look to appetizing but my husband said it was actually good. We had dined out the night before for dinner at Le Caveau and it was excellent but you may want to call ahead for a table.

Proximity to the slopes is great. We actually didn't go straight from the hotel, but I think you can. The first day we skied at 1850 and took the gondola which is about a 4 minute walk from the hotel. The next day we drove 5 minutes over to 1650 as I don't think you can get there by skiing. We really liked that area too, lots of easy slopes but further up there were difficult ones too.

The only problem we had is that there was only one towel in the bathroom. The hotel guide stated that each room had dressing gowns and slippers -- ours did not. I thought this may be because we were only staying the one night so I wasn't going to complain, but obviously we needed more towels. I decided to go over to the spa room so I used one of the towels. Unfortunately while I was in the sauna, someone (I assume mistakenly) took my towel. Luckily our room was right next to the spa room and I called reception to bring more towels. After waiting about half an hour -- I wanted to take a shower as I was in my swimsuit still -- I got in the shower and had my husband call down again. They then brought up a stack of towels, very basis, rather thin towels.

One other problem was the TV -- it was an old TV mounted from the ceiling/wall and our remote did not work at all -- I feel like this happens in every hotel I'm in. Again, since we were there only one night, it wasn't worth complaining or asking for new batteries. I turned on the TV on the actual set and was able to change channels, but the volume was intolerably loud and there is no volume switch on the TV so we were unable to watch anything.

Overall the hotel was exactly what we were looking for, a place to sleep and very close to the slopes. My husband and I had trouble finding nightlife here, but maybe we just weren't in the loop. If you're looking for a budget hotel and can handle that for a week, than this place is great. If you're a bit pickier or prefer something more luxurious, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for longer than one night.

2 Thank laurengucsb
IsabelleBretagne, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2009
Let me give you my opinion about this comment: I remimber very well that this client did ask a room at the last minute and our hotel was fully booked. So before to confirm their booking we did inform them that the room was on the basement with a view on the car park. That's why we did offer a special price for it !!
The photos are not representatives of the other rooms because this room is very different and we always sell it cheaper than the upper rooms !!
Concerning the breakfast and the "not appetizing fruit salad", I would like to precise that it is a fresh home made salad, made every day with fresh fruits...
Sorry for the towel, the chambermaid did forget to put two !
One more thing that I would like to precise:
This room is never sell for more than 1 or 2 days and generally for clients who asks for a special price. The problem is that when we are fully booked, the clients accept everything because they want to go skiing for the week-end but after they are disappointed...
I'm sure that if the same client did have a room on an upper floor, their stay will have been totally different...
north wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed at the Ancolies for 5 nights and were met by friendly staff willing to oblige. However, dont go into the restaurant if you are feeling hungry! The breakfast was fine but the evening meal was a joke, not a good hearty meal after a days ski-ing but small courses of very unapetising food and if you are unfortunate enough not to like there cuisine beware you will have to pay for anything different. Also the four chefs in charge seemed to have taken a dislike to potatoes served in any shape or form and chips are definitely out. Flexibility is not in there volcabulary so unless you can eat almost any meat or fish go somewhere else. Well done the pastry chef he kept the deserts simple and apetising...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gill12345
IsabelleBretagne, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2009
Indeed, our kind of catering is gastronomic and customers should be informed about this when they book through a travel agency.
Therefore our strong point is not steak and french fries !
However, we entirely change the menu, without any additional charge, for vegetarian, people who can't eat fish or allergic people...
Furthemore, our dinner is made up of 6 dishes with unlimited cheese, so generally our guests tell us they ate "too much" more than "not enough".
We are really sorry about these customers' disappointement about our food.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

We recently stayed at Les Ancolies for 9 nights/8 days skiing having driven down from S.E. England.

Firstly the resort and location - Courchevel has probably the best skiing of any resort I have been to, very varied and snow-sure, with great links to over 600kms of Piste. 1550 is a quiet village but has easy links to 1850. There are only a handful of shops, bars and restaurants, but all that you need really unless you are looking for lively apres-ski. The ski hire shop recommended by the hotel (owned by a former speed ski champion) was excellent, and you got a discount as a resident of Les Ancolies.

1850 is easily reached by the gondola (6 minutes). In good snow conditions you can pratically ski to/from the hotel via a footpath just above the hotel. The ski bus stop is about 100 metres from the hotel, and runs until very late.

Booking was easy via email, and the staff very helpful. Due to tricky driving conditions (needing snow chains) we arrived very late, but we got a call from the hotel making sure we were OK, and that they would keep the kitchen & waiting staff back so that we could eat - fantastic customer service. The reception staff were excellent throughout our stay.

The decor of the hotel is rather outdated unfortunately, in the corridors, rooms and bathrooms in particular, but it was very clean so I didn't mind too much. The double beds are pretty small too - bear this in mind if you're of a 'larger' build. The only noise we suffered from really was the very loud locks on the doors, otherwise it was very peaceful.

The food, particularly in the evenings, was of a good standard. The choices of cheeses in particular was overwhelming! My only small gripes would be that there was no choice in what you had, and that sometimes something a little less fancy would have been preferable after a hard day's skiing. One night a week they have a Savoyarde evening, with a choice of fondue, pierrade or raclette. We did eat out a couple of nights too, just to sample other restaurants in the area, but unfortunately there is no discount of eating elsewhere, even though we did tell them in advance (to be fair I wasn't expecting a discount, but it would be nice).

Breakfast was typically french - pastries, bread, cheese, cold meats, cereals, yoghurt, etc. Some bacon/sausage/egg, etc would have been nice for us Anglo-Saxons, but not essential.

Service in the restaurant was a bit variable - the two male waiters and sommelier were excellent , but one other waitress was rather unattentive and forgetful, and on a couple of occasions a bit rude, in spite of us both speaking reasonable French.

Overall it was a great holiday, and if the hotel had a refurbishment and ironed out one or two other issues I would consider staying there again.

• Liked — Good location, great reception staff
  • Disliked — Outdated decor, mixed service in restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Whitters1uk
Because of our hotel building in 1980, we renovate it each year.
In 2009, a new corridor in wood has been done, bathrooms in bedrooms has been refurbished and balconies has been entirely refurbished in palines (decorated wood).
We try to refurbish the hotel each year because we could'nt do it in only one time.
In all the seasonal workers, there is sometimes one person who is less pleasant than the others, we deplore it of course and we apologize for that.