“Absolutely Awful!”

Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Courchevel
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Awful!”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Last year we came to this hotel when it was a smaller and more modest four star hotel and it was lovely! Very nice food and service was great! Came back this year to find out that it's been upgraded however since we booked last year we still had last years prices so we were very happy and looking forward to our stay here. Firstly I would like to say that there were some people who were nice and there was some food that was nice; it wasn't all terrible. Also all the things that i've outlined in this review can be easily fixed which will make it a lovely hotel. However there are several things wrong with this hotel:

1. The Ski room - absolute shambles. Went in on the first day to get ski boots and got them very quickly with my skiis and everything. The next morning I went in and asked for my boots and they hadn't labelled them! Spent ages looking for them and in the end had to get new ones! Also they put my weight on my skiis 30kg lighter than I am so my ski instructor had to struggle to change it otherwise I would have had to stay on green slopes the whole day!
2. Dining - As I said there was some nice food and they did make an effort for the kids however not much of an effort. Also the most outrageous was that some tables were allowed a jug of tap water but ours, along with many others, was not! In the end we took glasses to our rooms and filled them up from the taps! Also in the seafood buffet everything was made fancy. I like some fancy food but there wasn't anything plain and since the chef was standing there giving people food there was nothing for the kids!
3. Bar food + the rooms - Firstly ten euros for a coke is crazy! We also ended up going to the supermarket and buying some coke and sprite for about 2 euros each and then bringing them back to the hotel! Also this hotel was very cheeky in this respect as everynight when they did our rooms they brought a small bottle of still water and a small bottle of fizzy water and put it by the bed. However when we got the bill today we found that they charged us for when we drank it! But if we didn't drink it they didn't take it back like you would expect!

Dear Mr manager, whom I saw at breakfast this morning, please correct these things as some of them are incredibly cheeky and maybe we will come back in two years time as next year we are staying at a very nice little hotel called the Duc de Savoie where are friends stayed and said it was wonderful!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LindseyF801

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel is under new management and it shows! Every member of staff was so obliging and keen to help, in the ski room you didn't even need to bend down to put on your boots, and skis were set up in snow.. bliss! The restaurant has a michelin star chef, who is staying until the end of March, so food was amazing, and christmas eve dinner a masterpiece!
We were staying in a deluxe room which are newly beautifully renovated, although bathrooms were not large but come with lovely supply of Hermes toiletries. Our children were in a superior room these are not renovated yet, so are quite disappointing compared to rest of hotel, so its worth paying the extra for deluxe.The hotel is in a great location on the slopes, and as I am not a great skier, easy to ski in and out off. There is a free hotel minibus that will take you to any location in Courchevel, so you dont have to ski to stay here and it seemed to me that about half the guest didn't!

Room Tip: Pay extra for deluxe, as superior rooms not upgraded yet!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank IONACARR
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Stayed for a week and cant really complain. Everything was well-organized, emails answered promptly and all requests fully-satisfied. Fortunately, as my ski instructor told me (arranged by the hotel) we came for the "lowest" week of the high season. We had a good Privelege package offer (2150euro per 7 nights) that included a discounted rom rate, a half-board meal plan and a 6-day ski pass. Not exstensive variety for breakfast but more than enough to enjoy it and keep one satisfied. Dinners were simply delicious and gorgeously presented. Rooms are simple but clean and cozy. Hotel staff is super firendly & helpfull. But the best of this hotel is definitely its location: rent your ski equipment in the hotel shop (50euro a day) and no need to travel anywhere,you are already in the heart of the Courchevel Valley! The hotel also has a great pool & SPA area, which really add value to your stay after a long skiiing day. Free high-speed internet for your entire stay as a courtesy of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank iolanta
West Yorkshire
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The Pralong is a luxury ski hotel in a luxury resort. The rooms were warm, comfortable and clean. Hotel facilities include lovely big swimming pool, with steam room and sauna, with some limited therapy treatments available by appointment. It is quite a walk from the town centre, but a free shuttle bus is provided every half hour.
In terms of location it would be hard to imagine a better situation. The ski / boot room external door is no more than 10 metres away from two nursery slope button lifts. A main chair lift is a skiable 100 metres away.
The ski shop staff, whether hiring from them or not, have your skis and boots ready for you every morning and are waiting to take them from you to put them away at the end of a hard day on the piste.
Hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The food is first class, beautifully prepared, presented and served.
I did feel the hotel was pricy, but I believe you pay for the location. We have skied extensively in France and other European locations, but have never stayed in such a brilliantly situated hotel as this one. If you want to "make friends and influence people", though it would be useful to speak Russian...........most of the other guests did!!!!

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank SheilaWestYorkshire
Paris (France)
Reviewed January 26, 2005

I have just come back from a 3 day break in Courchevel. Being on my own, I was afforded a small, yet quite comfortable, room at the angle of the buidling. Extremely quiet and comfortable, small bathroom, though!
It has been snowing non stop all the time and as I do not ski, I was able to go for long and enjoyable walks, starting immediately at the Hotel's door. The swimming pool is quite nice and they have a real hammam+sauna facility. Quality massages are available at the spa.
The food is truly outstanding. half board is a bargain with this respect. It was actually cheaper than their only 3-star sister hotel further up in the mountain. The breakfast and lunch buffets are quite good too. But when delivered to your room, the breakfast tray could be a little more generous...
Large bar area, although they should put up the fire in the fire places throughout the day, not just in the evenings...
The staff deserves a special medal ! All are extrememely courteous, unobtrusive and helpful, a dream from that perspective. The shuttle service to and from downtown Courchevel 1850 is a treat.
I am definitely coming back later in the season to enjoy the terrace!

13 Thank Paris17