“Great culinary and wine experience”

Restaurant Albert 1er
Ranked #20 of 228 Restaurants in Chamonix
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pierre Maillet’s goal, as head chef of our two star restaurant, is to conserve the taste of the produce, respect texture, gently combine things and not spoil them by trying to over-enhance them. Having taken over from his father-in-law, Pierre Carrier, he has upheld the restaurant’s traditions by proposing a subtle, modern and natural cuisine, inspired by the surrounding area. A cuisine spanning 5 generations that is influenced by the treasures of the French/Italian Alps : Char and Fera from Lake Léman, snails from the Mont Blanc region, sweetbreads, Dombes duckling, Bresse poulard and local cheese, pork and lamb….Dishes subtly enhanced by the herb garden, overseen by Pierre Carrier: wood sorrel, tarragon, lemon thyme, savory, lemon balm, sage, wild thyme, marjoram or burnet. The Albert 1er’s carte is also influenced by the neighbouring Piedmont region: lemon risotto and « Bottarga di Tonno », crab ravioli on a mousse of curcuma, garden peas and mint bisque, farm goat’s cheese and beetroot gnocchi. From his travels around the world, his childhood in the Toulouse region and training in successful restaurants along the Mediterranean coast, Pierre Maillet has created a selection of flavours and spices with which to season his dishes : line-caught John Dory fillet, citron, tonka beans, turnip confit and hollande sauce, line-caught sea bream with basil in a squid and herb crust, consommé, garlic rouille and croutons; whole roasted Breton lobster served in two ways, with yuzu confit, avocado, grapefruit and Nepalese Timur pepper, or Lobster à la Cardinal with fondant potatoes in coral butter. Perle de la Dombes Peking duckling seasoned with orange and gingerbread, stewed leg and almonds, coriander and homemade lemon confit. Surprisingly wonderful combinations created with seasonal produce and his passion for cooking, creating, inventing and seducing. Hard, relentless work ensures that the simplicity of the food provides an explosion of flavours and enjoyment. Alain Gousse, our head sommelier, will be delighted to advise from the exceptional house cellar – 19,000 bottles with over 1,000 varieties, 646 of which are on the wine list.
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Great food and wine. Excellent service and atmosphere. Very experienced sommelier, who is able to talk about wine with real passion. Next time, when I will be there definitely I will try to repeat the experience. It's a place you will remember for long. Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Albert 1er

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant really lives up to all the requirements of a proper Michellin 2* rated venue.
Freshness of food, presentation, taste, composition, wine selection and NOT LEAST the service was no less than outstanding. Even compared to other very high end restaurants I have been fortunate enough to patronize lately.
Saw the head chef selecting his flowers and greeneries in the garden every morning dew fresh. Watered by mineral rich river water from the glaciers.
The wine selection and guisance of the dedicated sommerlier is par none. Some VERY expensive wines in between (4800€) but they were beyond my meager wallet.
The service with attention to detail was outstanding. Properly due to the fact that 50% of the crew is family!!
Decor excellently ballanced with massive wooden panels, designer leather chairs and very tasteful oil paintings.
Do not ask about the prices. If you have to ask about the prices if is too expensive for you.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are "regulars" at the "little sister" of the Albert 1er, the Maison Carrier. But we wanted to have lunch in Chamonix on a day when the Maison Carrier was closed... so we chose the main restaurant at the Hameau Albert 1er.

This restaurant has two Michelin stars. It is relatively small, with lovely views onto the gardens of the hameau. The service was faultless. We chose one of the smaller "menus" - a variation of the menu du Marché with only one starter. We chose to have an apéro in the garden which, even though it is very close to the centre of town is very peaceful and quiet. However the garden at the Maison Carrier has better views of the Mt Blanc! some nice snacks came with our apéro - including a small (tiny!) soup, potato fritter (hot) and a mini slice of foie gras with rhubarb. All lovely.

The meal started with an amuse-bouche and our first course was white asparaus with a sort of hollandaise/mousseline sauce. The asparagus were a bit undercooked for my taste but the dish was very nice. We then chose the fish as our main course... filets of John Dory with beetroot and turnips (mini ones) and a little beetroot sauce. I am a recent convert to beetroot (!) and I found this to be an excellent combination. Following the main one chooses a variety of cheese from an excellent cheese board and then a desserts from two trolleys... one mostly fruits and sorbets and the other more complicated things. I had a slice of the Daquoise (house speciality and superb!) and an île flottante which I can never resist. My only criticism here is that the île flottante was served in a very high glass dish with the result that it was practically under my nose and so hard to eat! But it was lovely.

This was a very good meal indeed for the €60 we paid. One would not find a similar meal in Switzerland for that amount. However the restaurant lacks the "local" ambiance of the Maison Carrier and so I know that when we go back to Chamonix in a month or so we shall be eating at the Maison Carrier!!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

In March we came from Megève to visit Chamonix and had dinner in Le Hameau Albert I. As it has two Michelin stars we very curious. The appetizers we got in the bar were nothing special. The starter was still acceptable but the main course was a failure. The bill a disaster. Needless to say that this is not the place to be. Who has given this restaurant stars of excellence?

2  Thank ELJMG
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had the 'Menu de Savoie' which is a 9 course taster menu, the wine is not included and if you go for the paired wine be aware that it is one of the most expensive that we have come across!
The food was very enjoyable although I was incredibly disappointed with the 62 degree egg which was served with salsify and truffles, completely tasteless and underwhelming to the point where I couldn't be bothered to finish it! The fish dishes were also a little bland and not as well combined as we would have expected, for example the fera if I remember correctly was paired with very bitter jellies which simply didn't complement the fish and felt like an afterthought. On the upside the pigeon was the best i've had and the desserts were divine.
Overall we had a lovely evening with excellent service but I do sometimes come away after eating taster menus feeling that some dishes lack imagination, I would not order this menu again but happily go for the A la carte or La Petite Fête Gourmande du Marché.