“The best cheese board I've ever seen!”
Review of Le Bistrot

Le Bistrot
Ranked #28 of 228 Restaurants in Chamonix
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Le Bistrot is a cozy little restaurant set on the ground floor of Le Morgane hotel. My girlfriend and I enjoyed a very nice evening meal here where I ate from the taster menu (option to choose from 4-6 dishes I think it was) and she chose from the a la carte. Both of our meals were expertly prepared, full of flavour and the portions were just right. The restaurant itself is a very relaxed setting and the waiting staff are courteous and helpful.

What with all the little canapés and tasters added in between courses (the home made marshmallow was especially good) by the time I had finished my main meal I was completely stuffed but I couldn’t resist the incredible cheese board, the best selection of cheese I have ever seen! They have a very extensive and impressive wine list and something to suit all tastes and budgets and together with the delicious food we felt the meal was very good value for the quality of the experience. A memorable way to end our holiday and I would definitely recommend this place and return again.

There are newer reviews for Le Bistrot

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We asked our walking guide (Teresa Kaufman) where the locals ate and she recommended we came here for lunch.

It doesnt look much from the outside, a modern building with net curtains to obscure the view and a small blackboard outside with today's special handwritten but inside it's such a treat.

The staff take your coats and are very friendly and courteous and they dont even mind if you turn up in your walking gear or thick coats (like we did)

We ate here twice during our weeks stay in Chamonix as we loved the food and the atmosphere - plus both times we went we were the only English speaking people in the whole restaurant.

The menu outside tells you the main course and that you get a choice of pudding for 19 euros - what it doesnt tell you is that you get other goodies too!

I have been told that because Le Bistrot offers this lunch all the other restaurants in Chamonix had to lower their set lunches too.

You are taken to your seat and canapes are brought to your table - we had tomatoes, herb bread and a tapenade.

Then the bread and butter is brought to the table along with an amuse bouche of a mushroom foam and topped with ham.

(If you are hungry like me and have happened to eat all the bread - its' topped up constantly)

The main course comes

Then you get a choice of three desserts- their evening price is 14 euros each but you are getting a lunch for not much more!

After dessert and when you are starting to think you cant be spoilt any more they bring home made petit fours usually 3 or 4 different cakes/biscuits and you can also have homemade marshmallows too.

This meal and restaurant is such a treat and a delight, please do visit it- .....well no don't cause I want their bargain 19 euro menu kept a secret ;-)

if you do plan to go for lunch (especially in high season or on a Sunday) its best to book a few days in advance (just pop in and book giving your hotel's phone number or address)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are many places you can go for a cheap lunch in Chamonix, and only a few are Michelin-starred. This is most definitely my favorite.

An amuse Bouche, Starter, main course, pudding, petite fours and coffee for only €19 (about £16)

For 2 of us having lunch, 2 lemonades and a jug of Water the bill was only €46.

Simply amazing quality food, fantastic staff putting up with our poor stumbling french and being so nice with us.

A really great place and I will most certainly be back next year.

I would only come here for lunch though as it is extremely expensive at dinner time.
Most main courses cost €20-30 with starters and puddings €14-20.

3  Thank David S
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I do not understand the obsession of foam with every course. Over priced for dinner and over rated. The taster menu was reasonably priced although not to my taste, so I chose from the a la carte big mistake. Would not recommend. Should have realised when I saw how empty the restaurant was on a weekend.

2  Thank MDS1960
Reviewed May 15, 2013

You can not beat this deal really for the quality of the food. It is €19 euro for 2 courses at lunch time. There was only one choice on the menu for the main, but you could choose any desert as part of the deal (usually€14 euro for desert). It was amazing. We were topped up by endless amounts of bread, given some lovely mouse (not sure what it was but it tasted delicious! The cheese board was out of this world I have never seen anything like it. There must have been 20plus types of cheeses on it. At the end of the meal we were given some lovely homemade chocolates. At times I am not sure if the service was reflective of this standard of restaurant. We had to wait longer than I liked for our plates to be cleared and we had to ask 3 times for the bill. However, these were only little things. It is definitely worth a trip to for lunch or if you can afford it for tea!! Only a short walk from the main street in chamonix. I would go again. For me though it did not have much atmosphere, and at times it felt a little uncomfortable however, that could have just been me :)