Grand Hotel des Alpes
$89
$87
Agoda.com
  • Spa
Hotel de l'Arve(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
$78
$113
$109
Travelocity
$301
Le Dahu Hotel(Argentiere)(Great Value!)
$73
$70
All reviewshoneymoon suitemont blancloved this hotelelegant hotelnoisy at nightevery requesteach afternoonpedestrian zoneturn down servicebeautiful roomthe breakfast areanoise from the streetthe main streetmiddle of townthere is no air conditioningswimming poolreception staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel was absolutely amazing. It had this old school charm that I have not really experienced given that I generally travel in Asia which is all about modernity and clean lines. While I enjoyed this, my mother was not so keen on how rustic it was with the wooden panelling etc. The bathrooms were modern though, which I enjoyed.

Further, the staff is extremely accommodating and were super friendly, ready to answer all questions as it was our first time in Chamonix. THe hotel is also VERY centrally located in the main town and it is easy to walk around (though I suppose the town is very small so you could walk anywhere really). It is also right opposite the ski store where guests get a 10% discount so returning gear/ getting gear is very easy.

The pool is small but the sauna + jacuzzi is more than enough for some after ski rest and relaxation. They also provide some Charcuterie and sweet nibbles from approx 4 -6 to cater to after skiing hunger. Everything served was delicious! I personally did not try the breakfast but given that I had ski lessons starting at 9 everyday it was far easier for me to run down to the many pastry shops down the road which had AMAZING pastries and grab a bite on the go.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed for a weekend just before Christmas. Traveled with my wife. The hotel is very nice, elegant with classy atmosphere. It is just in the center of Chamonix. Very convenient parking (with extra charge) though the entrance is difficult to discover. As we requested we had w room on the 5th floor facing city center - Brevent. Though it is a pedestrian zone there can be noise from the passers from time to time. The room was nice, cosy, classic style. Two problems, it was too hot and there was no free power outlet to charge mobile - pc.
Breakfast was very good, nice choice and quality and tasty omelettes on demand.
Highlight the afternoon - early evening sweets - snacks at the lobby - salon of the hotel.
We received two very good dinner suggestions, Atmosphere with nice french cusine and Neapolis with excellent pasta and pizza (in a simple lokal)
Though there was not much snow I had two very nice skiing days one in Argentiere and one in Brevent. Enjoyed the jacuzzi, hamam and sauna facilities.
Overall a very nice stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great location in the mountaineering mecca. A staff that is not only genuinely kind, but unbelievably accommodating in every way. Stayed for two nights as part of a Wilderness Travel tour, but booked a couple of nights extra prior so that we could enjoy the area. We pre-booked an upgraded room for the two extra nights and the hotel let us stay in the suite for the balance two nights at extra charge. A friend joined to tour late and pre booking rooms were sold out. The staff went out of their way to accommodate her in our room for one night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoffeeBuzzz
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Grand Hotel is situated right in the centre of Chamonix, right next to Chanel and a few seconds walk from some really good restaurants. The rooms are small but very characterful with lots of wood panelling and exquisite bed linen. We had a double bed but with individual duvets, which was a nice touch.
The reception is very welcoming. We were there just before Christmas and there was a beautiful white tree in the bar and some very classy decorations up. Each lunchtime and suppertime, they place some delicious hors d'oeuvres on a table in reception, so you can have a plate of nibbles if you're a little peckish after skiing. There are also free DVDs to borrow and lots of books around the place, so it really feels homely and not like a chain hotel.
The breakfast is passable but expensive (20 euros a head) and the spa area is pretty good. We had the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna to ourselves most nights.
The staff were really nice. My only criticism is that as first-time skiiers and visitors to Chamonix, they weren't very helpful about the best way to embark on skiing as novices. They advised us to hire our skis from the shop across the road from the hotel, which we did. But that meant we had to lug them to the nursery slopes where we discovered there was ski hire right at the base of the slopes. So we could walk there unencumbered, hire our skis on site, then hand them back at the end of the day and walk back to the hotel again with nothing to carry. A far better way of doing it.
But other than that, this was a great place to stay and I would definitely return.

1  Thank Graceface
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Perfect location, perfect service, very helpful staff and very cozy and comfortable lounge area. I stayed here three nights with my daughter and I couldn't have had a more perfect time here. I highly recommend this place.

2  Thank lostnyctraveler