“Perfect hotel!”

Grand Hotel des Alpes
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Perfect location, perfect service, very helpful staff and very cozy and comfortable lounge area. I stayed here three nights with my daughter and I couldn't have had a more perfect time here. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lostnyctraveler

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I loved my time in Chamonix, I'd definitely recommend it to ANYONE who enjoys the snow OR skiing/boarding.
Great place to be and a very nice town with lots of shops.

I'd definitely recommend going up the lift to the top of the mountain

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a very comfortable stay in Grand Hotel. We really enjoyed it in End August. It is very ideally located and the view was just out of the world.... Chamonix.... is such a beautiful place ... like Heaven on Earth... Lovely Scenic View, beautiful roads , Such a lovely town so lively with the band and all the activities going on ... The Train ride around the whole town was very interesting too.
The hotel was full of comfort and we really enjoyed our stay... the staff very friendly

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel in mid-September. It is perfectly situated for late summer expeditions up the Aiguille du Midi, strolls around the quaint town, and the like.

Room was very comfortable, the bed being one of the best I have slept in in Europe. We were welcomed with a bottle of French champagne as it was our anniversary and we absolutely enjoyed sharing a romantic moment on our small balcony facing Mont Blanc. Very authentic old-world decor and experience... and the price was very good.

Service was impeccable with Katia providing great recommendations for dinners and activities. Parking also very convenient (once we found it... seriously... FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS PROVIDED BY THE HOTEL!).

Chamonix in and of itself is an amazing place (it will be hard to visit the U.S. mountain towns now... they just can't compare), but staying here definitely made it all that much better. We would absolutely return (and hope to!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smatter
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I struggled with the rating on this review because I really wanted it to be high and maybe should have gone as low as a 3 but, as you can probably see, I'm torn.

First the good: the hotel is aesthetically perfect. It is exactly as shown and exactly what I would have expected and more. The decor is so beautiful in the rooms and in the common areas that I can't imagine there is a nicer hotel in Chamonix. The location is also excellent. Set back from the street by a large seating area, it is in the middle of the main street and is a short walk to everything including the Montenvers train to the Mer du Glacé and the cable car to Aiguille du Midi.

We were in the Mont Blanc Suite. It has a balcony with seating for 2 overlooking the river and having an outstanding view of Mont Blanc. The bedroom is separated from the living area by pocket doors for quiet. In the bathroom there is sufficient room on the vanity for toiletries. There is a separate shower and jetted tub which would be really nice on a cold winter day. Although the closet, shelving and dresser is in the living area, it is of a decent size and has lots of hangers.

Service is very good for the most part. The lady who checked us in was very good. We were unable to find the hotel because we put the hotel address into our GPS instead of the parking garage address as was stated in our reservation confirmation. I walked to the hotel lobby (hotel is on a pedestrian street) and she gave me exact directions and met us in the garage with a bellman and a luggage cart. Check-in went very well and she offered to call ahead to see what restaurants were still open as we were quite late arriving. All staff we encountered really tried to please the guests.

Not great things: there is no coffee in the room. There is a kettle and 10,000 types of tea, but no coffee. If you have ever read another hotel review that I have written, you will know I will almost be tempted to give 5-stars to a hotel just for having a Nespresso machine. I didn't ask if the had coffee but I don't think that would have mattered because my wonderful husband found a place 2 doors down that sold coffees "to go" and this sent several guests and a desk clerk into a frenzy wanting to know where to get coffee. Also, to plug in that kettle, you had to climb under the desk in the bedroom, unplug a lamp, and set the kettle base on the floor. The short cord would not reach from any plug to any table top. In the minibar, they had wine, but no wine glasses. Just a little thing but still...

The plugs in the room were all in use so to charge anything meant unplugging something else. Also, strangely, some plugs only seemed to power certain things. Since there were no plugs in the bathroom to accommodate a curling iron, I had to plug that in in the living room. Only one of the plugs in the entire room would power the curling iron. This meant dragging the curling iron, hairbrush, hairspray, and a small travel mirror into the far corner of the living area an setting it all up on a small ledge in the corner. Oh, and unplugging a lamp in order to plug it in. The room is not air conditioned and while we were there stood at a contant 25 degrees. We had the windows open the whole time.

Somewhat annoying was the wifi. If you left it idle for a very short time, it automatically logged you out. I got up to go to the bathroom and in that short of a time it logged me out. Therefore, you constantly had to have the login information on your person.

Finally, there was a beautiful seating area right in front of the hotel. When we arrived the first night we thought it would be a lovely place to have a drink after dinner but when we returned, the chair cushions were gone and half the chairs were covered. It was late after all. For the next three days, the chair cushions were never replaced and the chairs were covered at least half of the times we walked by. It was shame because lots of people would walk by and just stop and look at the area and then keep walking. I think they could have made a killing on passing trade if the area had been set up for seating for drinks and coffee.

We did have breakfast one morning and it was very good. The breakfast area, as is the rest of the hotel, beautiful.

All this said, I didn't see anything in Chamonix that looked better from the outside, and if you can put up with the minor inconveniences I described, it is a lovely place to stay with decent service.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Excaper
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Grand Hotel des Alpes is located in the heart of the city centre , right where the action is. Most importantly, it is a property which has a very high level of hospitality. The rooms overlook the mountains on one side and i was staying in room 305 which had a little balcony where you can sit and enjoy stunning views. The breakfast and spa area is in the basement and it has one of the nicest breakfast served with chocolates included too for a sweet start to your day. The team is warm, friendly and hospitable lead by a very efficient and passionate Katia who ensures that all guests are comfortable and truly experience a home away from home. Located on the France, Swiss and Italy border, this hotel is a must visit for someone looking for great location, wonderful hospitality and warmth in this stunningly beautiful Alpine town.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. We had a few days' vacation in Chamonix and the Grand Hotel came recommended. It didn't disappoint. The staff were welcoming, very helpful and overlooked my dismal French. The room was very nice, with a balcony overlooking the river and a lovely view of the mountains. It is perfectly located downtown, within walking distance of the Auguille du Midi, restaurants and shops. We loved Chamonix in general, but the Grand Hotel made our stay. Highly recommended for vacation stays, couples or families.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the river.