“Second time around was even better!”
Review of Hotel l'Heliopic

Hotel l'Heliopic
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
London, United Kingdom
“Second time around was even better!”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a second visit this month after our first visit during a skiing vacation In Dec 2013 with the whole family. We could not have been happier on our second visit! The rooms were once again beautiful as expected and now that the hotel has been open 9 months, everything else is just a little bit better (even though it was great the first time). The breakfast is improved and the staff are very friendly. Once again I have to say that this is the best hotel in Chamonix and the one I will be recommending to all my friends.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We had a problem with our car and so had to find somewhere to stay in Chamonix at 7.00pm. We saw l'Heliopic from the road and were welcomed and booked in a few minutes. The standard room was modern, beautifully furnished and very spacious with a balcony and awe inspiring view off the mountains. A luxurious bathroom, good toiletries and very comfortable bed in a soundproofed room completed a very relaxing stay. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Balcony with view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abbottus
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel but...

The deco suited my taste as if I had designed it myself, with its clean Nordic style and comfort. The basic room is a good size and the bath and the bed are great. They offered a free welcome drink (we had 2 kir) from the bar, nice touch. Private parking. Free wifi. Great and cozy atmosphere in the common areas. They also had a small area for kids to play in the lobby with free sweeties (but at the same time the place remains very adult-like, it has a sophisticated flair that, if there were children there, I didn't notice them). The location is the best for taking the car cable up to Auiguille du Midi (but the old centre is a little far away, although within walking distance). The reception is always staffed. The service is not super enthusiastic or personal but it's professional and not arrogant so I can't fault them. They offer free access to the spa to all guests, open all day until 10 PM. They also have a restaurant service which looked good but we never tried. All services under one roof. Mid-high standard. Modern and clean.

I very much liked this hotel and I'd love to give it 5 stars but it doesn't deserve it for the reasons below:

- We paid 200 euros a night, which included breakfast, parking and the spa. The room only was like 160 euros. We thought it was a good deal, but not really, because the spa was free to everyone anyway and the parking cost only like 10 euros. Where is the deal?! I even paid a deposit upfront for booking this "deal" through their website, whereas through booking.com I wouldn't have! I felt a little ripped off.

- But I would have paid the price gladly if:

a) Breakfast had been better. It wasn't bad at all, but very limited range and not better than a 3 star hotel. Very unimpressed.

b) The spa hadn't become a public swimming pool with some annoying kids jumping in and splashing about and the jacuzzi hadn't been overcrowded all the time. Maybe deny access to children, or book turns with a time limit, or make guests pay so that the spa is actually a valued service for those who are willing to pay a plus and not just for all. Relaxing? Romantic? Not all all. I'm sorry but this is not what people expect from a boutique spa hotel with this image and rates even if the facilities are nice and modern.

I am happy to have stayed at this hotel but I am very, very annoyed by the 2 points above and I would never pay 200 euros to stay here again. However, for those who find this price easy to pay and don't expect top value for money, or who find a good deal maybe off season, or families, it's an excellent place to stay at.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank freecatalonia
HotelHeliopic, Directeur général at Hotel l'Heliopic, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

We thank you for staying with us and for your feed back.

Just a few remarks regarding your comments.

The hotel is classified 4 stars, not 5.
We do not consider as a boutique hotel as we have 102 rooms.

We understand that you reserved the All Inclusive package including b&b, parking and a welcome drink. That offer is always 33€ more than the best rate available. If you reserve room only and then take parking, breakfast and 2 drinks, the price will always be higher than the All Inclusive price.

Our policy is to take a 30% deposit as a guarantee, no matter how you reserve the room (directly with us or thru booking.com)

We especially increase parents' awareness of the necessity to respect the tranquillity of the spa area and residents.

We hope we have answered your questions and hope to welcome you back on your next visit.

Kind regards

Frederic Martineau
Hotel Manager
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I and our 16 month old daughter have just returned from a wonderful week at this hotel. Everything was perfect and we have nothing but praise. Here are some points:

1. The staff are super-efficient, friendly and ready to accommodate any request
2. The rooms are modern and clean- we had a superior room (308) with unobstructed views of Mont Blanc. It was so lovely watching sunrise over the mountain
3. The breakfast was abundant, delicious as were all the wonderful dinners we experienced in the hotel restaurant ( eur30 pp for a set menu which was always tasty, well presented and varied)
4. The spa is great, especially on a rainy day when there is not much else to do
5. Our daughter absolutely LOVED the playroom in the lobby area - best idea ever to keep the kids occupied and quiet!!!! The free sweets and juices corner is also a great bonus
6. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the centre of town, and so in a great location. It is the perfect base from which to visit other areas

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone - go, you will surely not be disappointed. We will return one day for sure!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank crazymalteser
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel is new for 2014. The rooms and public areas are decorated up in a very smart fashion without being sterile. Service is good and staff are friendly. Breakfast (variety and quality) was a cut above. Wifi worked well from my room. Located directly across the plaza from the Aiguille Du Midi cable car but still just a short walk to the center of town. Chamonix Sud bus stop is 3 minute walk to the west. Definitely on my list for when I return to Chamonix.
Tip: If you plan to buy a Multi-Pass get it at the front desk and avoid the lines out on the plaza!

Room Tip: Rooms on east side are directly opposite the cable car, a plus or a minus based on your preference.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Tangier, Morocco
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Lovely Hotel and best location which only 1 minute to go to Ropeway station of Aiguill du Midi, 3 min to go to Cantral.
But 2 problem in there,one is The room 4th floor is low roof.
Many times hit my head to roof. Another one is very slippy of the shower faucet. If your hand was with soap it not possible to open fauset due to slippy.
You should better to never stop fauset during Shampoo, body washing....

Room Tip: To avoid of 4th floor due to low roof.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

The hotel only opened in Dec 2013, so everything still feels amazingly new.

We love the stylish decor and the furniture so much that we enquired about the furniture designer. The toiletries are all from the spa and they smell amazing.

The duvet is incredibly comfortable and plush and from most balconies, you get to see the Mont Blanc.

You can't get a better location to the cable car station up to Aguille du Midi, it almost feel that the station is built for the hotel.

We loved it so much that we wished we have opted to stay for another night.

2 thumbs up!

PS. If you are driving, remember to pre-book the hotel parking lot.

Stayed August 2014