“A very good hotel”

Lagrange Prestige Le Cristal d'Argentiere
Ranked #55 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I always have been travelling in France, since I was born, with my family. We used to go in Chamonix’s valley, in the Alps. One year, my parents decided to go to a different hotel, and they chose “Le Crystal d’Argentière”. It is situated in Argentière, a small village near Chamonix. It is a great place to, go for a walk, because the scenery is wonderful and there are different levels of hiking paths.

Le Crystal d’Argentière is a 4-star hotel with a big indoor heated pool. There are also a billiard table, a library, a common lounge and a wellness area. The staff has always been nice with us during the three years we went there. They are really helpful and efficient.
Every first day of the week, there is a special evening organized, where an organizer come to tell the guests about all the activities available around the hotel. There are special activities for children, in which a lot of strangers go. It is great because children learn about different cultures and languages. There are also a lot of sports available, such as rafting, climbing or even paragliding.

Around the hotel, there are several good typical restaurants. It is also possible to go to the station to take a train in order to go to Chamonix, a great city, or to visit other places in the valley.

To sum up, Le Crystal d’Argentière is a great place to go to because it offers a lot of entertainments, and because it is situated in a wonderful place where there is always something good or new to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Apartment was all done out in chunky wood and created a nice mountain ambience. Two reasonable size double bedrooms but would have been a bit crowded for 5/6 people if you used the sofa bed in the living room. Found the receptionists helpful and on arrival (when reception was closed) found envelope on desk with instructions so we could get in our apartment and check in later. Very welcome after a long trip.

Apartment was clean and instructions in apartment book clear about cleaning, opening times, loss of keys etc.. Enjoyed the swimming pool but would agree with other reviewer that it could do with being a tad warmer. Normally open 9am to 7.45pm but only from 5pm on Saturdays.

Complex is on the main road through Argentiere, while not the M25 the traffic did affect the quality of the mountain air when sat on the balcony.

Bus stop right outside complex - can get timetables from reception. Also, railway station directly opposite for trips out. Nice 6k easy walk from Argentiere to Chamonix along the river. Lovely area.

Room Tip: Go for the bigger apartments if you can afford it. The 2 bedroom apartments for 5/6 would probably b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Things I liked about these apartments.

Our apartment (MB1) for 7/8 people had three rooms, one ensuite, loads of living space and balconies looking both up and down the valley.

The kitchen had a full oven,microwave, large fridge freezer, dishwasher and more than enough plates,cups,glasses etc.

It was very warm without the heating being on.

Walking distance to the Grand Montets ski area.

Fabulous restaurant Le Petite Vert next door.

Swimming pool for those with the energy (usually the kids!)

Friendly reception staff.

Things I wasn't too keen on.

Wifi only available in reception for a charge.

All the apartments are different and it can be a bit hit and miss as to where you are allocated.

Covered parking is a little pricey at 40e per week but we always managed to find a space either in the outer parking area or across the road in the station car park.

Despite the small negatives, we love this place and will be returning again and again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank liber8me
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was our 4th visit to Le Cristal d'Argentiere Apartments, though our last visit was Summer 2008, so we hoped it would live up to the standards of our previous visits? Yes, it did. I have given 4/5 overall as there are some small signs of age (1995), but I would still recommend this for a family visit. This was our 3rd visit skiing. The staff were all friendly and helpful. On this visit we stayed in the Grands Montets Rm 14, which was on the 3rd floor and on 2 levels. Level 1, 1st double bedroom (small), small kitchen, small bathroom with shower, spacious lounge with balcony looking towards the Grands Montets. Level 2, bathroom with bath / shower, 2nd double bedroom (largest bedroom) and 3rd double bedroom. The 2nd bedroom is to the rear and very quiet. There is a bus stop just outside the apartment which has a regular service up and down the valley ( e.g Le Tour / Domaine de Balme, 15-20 mins on bus) and across the road the train station. The bus and train is free to guests staying in the valley (you will be given a card at checking in - your ski pass will also work for the bus). In the village there are 2 bakers for fresh bread in the mornings and a small supermarket for most of your needs, all within easy walking distance. For a break from self-catering there is a good selection of restaurants in the village, We were 2 adults and 2 teenagers, there was plenty storage for all our stuff and lockable ski lockers in the basement. The teenagers enjoyed the swimming pool after a day’s skiing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a bad start, read it all to get an overall picture

We, a family of five with kids age 10-16, checked in mid February 2013 in apartment Mont Blanc no 7. It was a spacious apartment with three double bedrooms, one with ensuite bathroom plus a separate toilet and bathroom with sauna. Friends of our family checked in in a smaller apartment for 4-5 people. It was a lot smaller. Especially the bunk bed room which had beds that could have been maximum 70 cms wide and is only appropriate for kids. I recommend you spend some extra money on a bigger apartment if possible.

On the morning before we left home I noticed that the reception closed at 8pm and we would not arrive until 10 pm. I then tried to contact the reception to make sure we had a key waiting upon arrival. We had booked through Venere.com and we had no telephone number to the Cristal d’Argentiere. Venere.com tried to connect us, but couldn’t. They then gave me a number, which didn’t work. Luckily our friends, who arrived in time, could check us in and give us the key. When we made our beds we discovered that the cleaning was bad. There was hair in the beds and the duvets hadn’t been shaken. There was also a kit of sheets missing (due to some error between Venere and the hotel they said). I once again tried to find some telephone number, but only found one with an answering machine… My husband had to squeeze down with the sons in one of the double beds and I had to use towels as a cushion. Not a good start of the stay. Next morning I mentioned the troubles we had to the guy in the reception hoping to get some kind of understanding, an excuse or so but got a blank face. I also complained about the cleaning. One of our toilets didn’t smell fresh and our friend’s bathroom was filthy. With a look at the cleaning equipment that is understandable. My husband complained about all this at check-out and then they gave us some discount.

The service at the reception was also below standard, especially the man in the crew. They didn’t know much about the restaurants, opening times etc and didn’t even seem to care. We’ve stayed before at a Lagrange Prestige apartment hotel and I can’t see that this hotel qualifies for that standard. With some refurbishment, better cleaning equipment (or professional cleaning included in the rent) better service in the reception (including an emergency number) it could be really good.

Our apartment was great. We had lots of space and had several nice dinners with our friends. There is space for 8 people around the dinner table, but we squeezed in 9. We had a great view of the Chamonix Valley. There was a proper oven, but no microwave, and a dish washer. Lots of plates and glasses. The frying pans were a bit worn down, but our friends took one of their down to the reception and they got a brand new.

Other notes: a bit cold swimming pool, ski room was OK but boots didn't dry. Had to take them up to the apartment. Biliard table. Wifi for a week for approx EUR 22, max 3 concurrent users, only in the reception area, garage for a fee.

The apartment hotel Cristal d’Argentiere is perfectly situated in the little village of Argentière. The village is very small, walking distance to everything. I might write something about the village itself and a few restaurants too on Trip advisor. The bus stops and train station are just outside the hotel. You can also walk to the lift station in Grand Montets. Takes about 10 minutes and gives a good warm up before attacking the slopes…

Make sure you get your groceries on time! Either you shop on the way to Chamonix/Argentiere (probably a lot cheaper) or be in time on Saturday before the Super U closes 7.30 pm. Or do your shopping before closing time early afternoon on Sunday (8 am-12.30). To shop groceries on Monday at 5-6 pm is not a good idea…Extremely crowded.

The hotel has a bread ordering service. Convenient and not more expensive than the bakery. But if you are an early starter this doesn’t work since the reception opens at 8. Just walk 100 m up the street and you’ll get your fresh bread early enough.

Be early, or late, in order to get on the bus to Le Tour! If you plan to go to Chamonix your space should be safe.

We had a good stay, despite the bad start, and it gives value for the money
If I could get some assurance of getting a well cleaned apartment I would go back.

Room Tip: MontBlanc 7 has 3 balconys, two with a view over MontBlanc and evening sun. Nice! The train passes...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First of all i must add how i strongly disagree with the previous review placed on the 7th Jan 2013. This guy obviously didn't read any of the holiday documentation, also its not a 4* hotel it is a 4* apartment. Everything he descired as being a surprise and was clearly written down and what you expect from an "apartment". Please dont let this guy put you off!

We stayed here from the 26th Jan to 2nd of Feb 2013.

Having driven all the way from Poole, Dorset through the night we arrived at the Cristal and checked in 2 hrs early thanks to the pleasant Franchesca behind the front desk.

First impressions of the whole setup;

- Lobby area pleasant with plenty of seating and efficient front desk made check in easy.
- Our two bedroom apartment suitable for 5 people was spotless and well equipped.
- We opted in for the personal sauna i think 37euro. Great decision used it every day and got hot really quickly. Also timer allows you to put it on for when you roll off the mountain.
- We had an aparment as requested with a view (downt he valley to Mt Blanc)

Through the week everything stayed up to its good first impression.

Negative points the boot room lockers were a bit narrow for 5 peoples kit especially if you have any snowboarders. Dont buy their cleaning kit which offered at 5euro you just dont need it, Super U- 5 mins walk up the road will give you more for less.

Hope this helps you guys make a more informed decision.

Room Tip: -Understand what you get included -Bring cleaning stuff with you -Put in request for room with vie...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked two apartments for two families for our ski trip over the new
year period. I was under the assumption that being a 4* rating would mean
that I wouldn't have to clean my own room/make my own beds....WRONG! They
have the cheek to try and charge 50euro's a day for a maid to come to the
room and they wont even clean the kitchen area.... WATCH OUT FOR
PARKING.... you would have thought that considering we paid rather a hefty
amount that parking would be included.... WRONG it cost 46euro's for the
week!!! We had nothing included in our stay and even had to purchase our
own bin bags and cleaning equipment. We had to make our own beds and then
strip them too.....
At check-in where-upon myself and my family were obviously exhausted by the
long trip we were greeted by a sarcastic woman with no sympathy who told us
to check everything in the apartment before we touched anything.... fine I
thought to myself but when one is that exhausted and the children are
falling asleep as they walk you wouldn't think to check the mattress
protector. I was absolutely disgusted by what I found on my little boys
mattress protector! It was vile, all old linen and dirty!! After this he
had to sleep on the sofa as when I brought this to the attention of the
front desk they said it was my fault and that I should have checked this
when I checked in..... not really the 4* service I had expected.

The other family that we spent our trip with unfortunately lost their key
which they were charged 60euro for to replace (completely outrageous, it
would cost £2 for me to get another one cut down my local shop!!!)
At check out we were made to wait whilst they inspected our room. I had
left a bottle of wine in the apartment for the maid as a gift and was
shocked when they returned to tell me off for leaving a bottle of wine, a
bottle of water and shock horror the floor hadn't been swept. I asked if
they cleaned the apartments after we departed ready for the next guest to
which they replied that of course they did so I asked what the problem was
as surely they are a four star hotel and would like to give service of such
status....... the reply...... "madam if you don't wish to sweep the floor
then we can do it for you but we will have to charge you 50euro's" I was
utterly speechless and was left in this a way for my entire trip home to
the UK.

No apology for the lack of electricity or heating for 3 hours on one of the
days either.... and when travelling with young children I find this utterly
immoral!

Great holiday, amazing place to ski and I had a wonderful time with my
family but don't be fooled by the pictures, if your ready to spend allot for
nothing then this is the place to go but watch out, I was apparently the
lucky one, the other apartments had scaffolding covering them!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family