“Small but perfectly formed”
Review of Hotel Le Faucigny

Hotel Le Faucigny
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My Daughter and I have just returned from a short break at the Hotel Faucigny in Chamonix. The Hotel is in a lovely quiet spot even though it is really central to everything.
The room we had was quite small but had double bed, wardrobe, desk , 2 chairs and television. There was a small shower room and separate toilet. Everywhere was clean and the heating was easily adjusted to suit. The only thing missing that I would have liked was tea/coffee making facilities (good job I took the travel kettle) There is also free wifi internet access throughout the hotel and a computer for the use of guests in the lounge area.

There was parking for about 5 or 6 cars at the front of the hotel.

We didn't try the breakfast so I cannot comment on that, we bought food and snacks form the Super U supermarket which is just around the corner.

I think the 85 euro price in comparison to other Hotels in the area was good value.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed January 26, 2009

The Good: Owners Guy and Jacqueline truly care about their guests and their hotel. They are warm, friendly and accommodating; yet professional. The location is tough to beat...in the center of town next to the church. The hotel was recently remodeled, is very clean and we found the rooms nicer than most two star offerings. WiFi. Separate ski room and heated boot room. All in all, a great find and a good value.

The Bad: OK...not bad, just not as good as everything else. The breakfast ($8 euros pp) was nice, just a tad sparse (cheese, bread, spreads, OJ, coffee, yogurt). We saw others eating things that weren't out, like cereal. We weren't offered anything else, but we also didn't ask.

The Ugly: N/A

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2008

The owners went out of their way to make sure we had "inside information" on where to go and how to avoid the tourist traps making sure we enjoyed restaurants with a local flavor. The room was small (as most European rooms are) but plenty big for the two of us, and things were so quiet at night that we felt at home. We would definitely recommend this property to our friends and family

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2007

Just returned from 4 nights at Hotel Faucigny. Great little find. We were initially disappointed at the size of the room (very small with just a dorma window - albeit with a view of M Blanc!) but when you are only paying 79 euros a night what do you expect? The hotel owners can't do enough to help you and are always around to answer questions. The hotel is right in town, but tucked away in a quiet corner, and only a short walk from the Brevant cable car. (A very steep walk mind!). The hotel is spotlessly clean and is very pretty on approach. I would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget - a lovely little place.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank benannaspanner
Reviewed March 26, 2007

This is a very good two star hotel but that's all it is. Don't be fooled by the other reviews into believing that this hotel is better than a two star, it just ain't! This hotel has all the amenities (or lack of amenities) of a typical two star hotel, with the added bonus that it is in a great location and has a very friendly and helpful front desk (the owners). If you are looking for any kind of luxury, such as a bath after a long ski day (rooms only have showers), or full English Breakfast (or even eggs for that matter), look elsewhere, but if you are on a budget and a two star is all you can afford, then you will be hard pressed to find a better hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank atthestoplight
Reviewed February 14, 2007

I stayed for 5 nights in the middle of January and really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is a great location of the top of the pedestrian village opposite the TI and steps away from an excellent ski school. The hotel is clean and very well run. With many years in hotel management, I can say that with authority.
I would normally have chosen a four-star hotel but with the dollar to euro ratio and the excellent reviews previous travelers have written I decided to give the Hotel Faucigny a try. I am very happy I did. I would definitely return to the hotel if I found myself back in the area, and noticed that several people staying at the same time as I did were return guests of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
6  Thank Traveler0007
Reviewed January 1, 2007

The snow in Chamonix was very poor over Christmas 2006 but I had a great time. The village is only 1 hour from Geneva and so is very easy to get to. I booked my transfer through ATS via the Easyjet website. They subcontracted the work to a company called ACT. I have since checked ACT's own website and they seem cheaper. So have a look there first.

The hotel is right in the centre of town and has lovely rooms, which are very very clean. There are no roads running right past the hotel or streets so the hotel is very quiet at night. Having said that the hotel is right in the centre of town and you only have to walk 200m to be in the centre of Cham. I would definitely stay at this hotel again as it is clean, in a great location and is run by two extremely friendly and helpful people. I can't believe it is only 2 stars. It must be that they don't tick enough boxes to get 3 stars. But I can't imagine what they must be as I have stayed in hotels not half as good!

The hotel is also right next to the ESF ski school meeting place and the buses they put on to take you to the slopes in the morning. The buses are frequent, but they are a pain as you often don’t get a seat and you are on them for 20-25 mins. I did 6 days of lessons and had a good group and instructor (Celine). The classes were large on some days and a little bit more feedback would of helped. But her English was far better than my French so I shouldn't complain. The lift ticket office is a 10 min walk on the other side of town. Or you can get the pass at the base of each mountain; this is probably the best thing to do.

There are plenty of restaurants in Chamonix and a McDonalds if you just want a quick snack. McDonalds has a WIFI connection and is always busy with people on their laptops. There are plenty of supermarkets in town with a good selection of food.

The town is busy and there were always a lot of people milling around. The bars are varied and can be expensive at 5 euros for a 275 ml bottle of beer. But some are really nice and I liked going to Le Privilege.

The pistes were very icy and rocky over Christmas and my new skis look like they have bee in a war. The scenary is breathtaking and the skiing can be very challenging and steep. Having said that I think there is enough for all. If you want to get your legs in go to La Tour for a few days to get used to skiing and the conditions again.

All in all I want to go back, probably in March for a week. I want to see the mountains and piste with proper snow on them.

Have a look at their website. If anything the rooms and the hotel are better!

Stayed: December 2006