“Hotel with a lot of charme”
Review of Hotel Richemond

Hotel Richemond
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed here in two room for three nights. Our first thought was “Jeez, where did we end up??” From the outside the hotel looks very old and not very well maintained. We were greeted very friendly in good English and went up in our rooms.
The rooms looked like they have never been redecorated. But on the second look you could see that they were very, very clean and we started to like the hotel and thought it actually had its own charm.
The mattresses unfortunately were worn out, but we were so tired at the end of the days that we slept better than we thought we would. The rooms did not have A/C so we wanted to sleep with the windows open. That was not possible because it was fairly loud outside (the room is in the pedestrian zone with a lot of restaurants and bars).
The breakfast buffet was great and had a good variety, especially for French standards.
The hotel offers private parking. The location was perfect, we did not need our cars for the two days.
All the people at the front desk were very friendly, but one woman was the greatest, I unfortunately don’t know her name. She spoke perfect English, her advice was very helpful, and her humor just cracked us up.
We would definitely recommend this hotel, and we would love to come back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 30, 2010

Stayed in this hotel with my partner for 4 days and had a great time. Perfect location in terms of shopping, ski lifts (next to bus stop). Very friendly staff. Highlight of stay is taking a bath overlooking Montblanc! Breakfast included, important item in this not so cheap resort. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2010

A friend booked me into this hotel as part of a ski-ing holiday he organised and to be honest I was a bit sceptical with it being a 2 star as one of the most important things after a days ski-ing is comfort, warmth and a hot bath! Having read the reviews however I got a very good idea of what to expect and I was not disappointed. The Hotel is steeped in history and yes it is tired in terms of decoration, but the hospitality and service by the staff was second to none. Real french people who were a pleasure to see each day and could not have been friendlier, the breakfasts were great and everything was constantly replenished bearing in mind most days I didn't make breakfast until after 9am! The bed was very comfortable and the bath, an old cast iron bath, narrow but deep, dished up hot water every night which is not something guaranteed in a ski resort in many places I have stayed before. Yes if you cannot bear any kind of noise around you then you will have a disturbed nights sleep, but if like me you are exhausted after a good day's exercise then this is a fantastic value for money hotel. And despite the tired appearance of the internal decor, there are some great architectural features such as the staircase, granite sets around the windows, the oldest telephone I have ever seen (!) and the quality of cleaning in this hotel is the best I have known. It is basic in terms of accommodation but very very clean and very very friendly - I loved it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I booked Richmond hotel last minute as i had a mishap with a friend that could not join in Courchevel so decided to take a solo trip to Chamonix instead
The hotel is old but it so central that you are literally 5 mins walk away from everything in the town !!! They gave me a double room so as i was on my own so i cant complain about the space.. The reception is extremely helpful , on the night of my arrival they kept me for about 20 mins to explain how everything works in town , buses , trains , ski hire , lifts .. and it goes on..,,

the room was clean but basic , clean towels everyday ,,plenty of hot water for Apres ski baths ... the breakfast buffet was basic but plenty of food to stuff yourself before you hit the slopes

In the minus side the rooms could be a bit warmer as the radiators are very very old and he WI-FI connection (3 Euros for 8 days )works only in the reception, lounge- breakfast room (depends where you sitting) which is a bit annoying as you have to carry your laptop/ iphone and enter the username and code everytime you use it...

In a nutshell i will be going back as its GREAT value and you cant beat its location ...

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Since so many of the accommodations in ski destinations are booked by the week due to package holidays, it makes it difficult to go just for the weekend or even for the night. We live just over an hour from Chamonix and could easily make a daytrip out of it, but wanted to experience apres-ski and a bit more of the town. I wasn't expecting to find anything when I checked a few days ago for a room, and I definitely wasn't expecting to pay less than 100€/nt to stay in such a central location. I was thrilled when I came across this hotel and the great reviews.
We arrived midday and we were given our room immediately. The woman at the front desk was wonderful, so friendly and helpful and really took the initiative to make sure we knew where to keep our skis, how to use the local bus, where to ski, etc. I've stayed at other ski hotels for just one night and found the service to be terrible, likely because we would be there only one night anyway. I was really impressed with the service we received despite our short stay.
The location is excellent, right in the centre of Chamonix, restaurants, pubs, etc are right out the door. We did not take the ski bus but instead drove to Le Tour to ski, but the bus pick up was right outside. There was storage for skis downstairs at the hotel, plus the hotel had parking.
The room boasts incredible views and was generally clean and well-kept and if you're expecting a 3-star hotel (which we were), then that's exactly what you'll get. The bathroom had the basics, but the towels were disappointing (rather thin, almost like a kitchen towel used for a hand towel). There was a bath, and then a shower-hose-nozzle thing, but no shower curtain, etc. Only hand soup and packets of body wash, no other amenities in the bathroom, which again, I guess I wouldn't expect for this level hotel. The beds looked like the covers were thin, but once in them, they were fine and we stayed warm. The closet was pretty small, but that was no problem for us as we were only staying the one night. Otherwise the room was a good size with a desk, vanity table and a chair in addition to the 2 twin beds.
We paid extra to have breakfast at the hotel, €7.50 each, and it was convenient and had all the basics as far as yogurt, fruit, croissants, baguette, hard-boiled eggs, juice, coffee, tea. Definitely nothing extravagant and would probably get old after a few days, but everything was pretty good quality.
Overall, we would definitely choose this hotel for another stay in Chamonix in the future. It's amazing value for being ski season, especially for the location and the quality. They could easily charge more (although I wouldn't necessarily pay it). I'm not sure I'd be up for spending a week in that room/bathroom, but given a budget, it would be an excellent choice. Plus, you're not in the room much anyway.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Staff was very helpful in directing us to good hiking. Spoke English well. Room size was very generous for two. No air conditioning, but we didn't feel we needed it --even on hot days of July the town cooled off enough in the evening to wear a light jacket. I noticed some reviewers talked about how they only had a shower, while others only had a tub, in their BRs. Ours just had a tub, with a hand-held attachment that one could use to rinse hair with. Without a shower curtain or mount for the attachment, you couldn't really use it to shower. Speaking of curtains, the only ones in the bath were sheers that barely covered the windows; this made us reluctant to turn on the bathroom lights at night. And this was the first hotel I've stayed at in years that didn't have a hair dryer in the room (we searched the room, though didn't ask for one). It was ok to go out in the summer with wet hair, but seems like this would be pretty essential in the winter.

The view from the breakfast room is incredible (as was the view from our room). Really good croissants, but the fruit salad was pretty tasteless.

Internet service is available (in lobby only) at a low cost if you've brought your own computer. We just used the free wireless available outside the tourist info center (using the TICham connection). It's available even after TI is closed if you have a computer.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank must-keep-moving
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The location for this is great, on the main pedestrian street. As others have mentioned the place is like a retirement home, once the leave the lobby the place is just stark white. It could be really improved by some pictures on the wall. Hotel rooms are not as bad with nice wallpaper and comfortable beds.

Place did not have A/C so during the summer you will probably want to open the windows at night. The problem with this were all the birds waking you up, also come 0700-0730 the city starts to come alive and with the hotel located between a major street and the pedestrian area will have vehicles and street cleaners. If the birds did not wake you the trucks probably will.

Breakfast was your basic French two star fare(bread, drinks, yogurt, etc) however the bay windows in the breakfast room give you a great view of Mont Blanc. Plenty of local restaurants for at night just a few mins away. Turn right from the entrance to get away from the main crowds and get a few places that have a view of the mountains.

The owners were very nice, quick to provided any help and were able to provide answers and recommendations on what to do.

Hotel has one of the few open area in the front of the hotel with a garden and tables and seats; with the many grocery stores near the hotel it is easy and nice to go get some cold drinks and sit outside at the end of the day.

Hotel has free parking but can only fit smaller cars, there is also a free public parking space across the street, a paid public area next door and an underground public area down the street. There is a reserved spot in at the hotel for arrivals and if you do want to park in the underground area the hotel visitor card provides a discount.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo