“Adult Group Beginners”

ESF Chamonix - Ski and Guide Company
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have just completed a week of group lessons with ESF in Chamonix as a beginner. We didn't move too fast as groups were divided on the first day by ability and then people could move up or down a level as they felt comfortable with no hassle.

There was a great variety of places we visited...Savoy, Les Planards, La Tour, Flègere and Brevant were all utilised which was great.

The meeting time was 8.45 and you would ski until 1pm with a short coffee break in the middle to gather your nerves and concentration again.

1  Thank Orourkel

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Really rated this ski school and the pre/after lesson care in the Club Enfants (based at Le Savoy). My 6 year old was very happy with it so we were too!! The staff were friendly and welcoming, giving a very good impression of looking after the children well in the Club Enfants. The Ski Instructor spoke good english too and was very friendly. Would definitely recommend and use them again.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

She understood what I was lacking in my sking and helped to corrects it. Until this time I was realy afraid to go fast since I couldn;t control my speed good enough and turns. But after this time I gained much more confidence because of her - and now can deal with more difficult slops.

2  Thank NataliaY
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We took our daughter skiing for the first time (abroad - she has been skiing indoor in UK). I inquired a few times about whether they would speak English to her in the "piu piu" ski school and I was assured that they would.
Well our daughter hated it. We watched from afar, and she cried all the time. That in itself is not the fault of the ski school, but when we eavesdropped, none of the staff were speaking to her in English, or even really being "nice" to her.
When we intervened, she said she needed the toilet....a simple request really.

Anyway, the ski school seemed to be really good and well organised, but it just wasn't for our little one, it is a case of "speak french, do what you are told and have fun" which is fine if you speak french and are keen to muck in, but some kids won't want that.

HOWEVER, what was the saving grace of the ski school was the fact most of the teachers and the office itself ARE helpful overall, they were able to change our half day lessons into 2 x 1 hour private lessons with one of the teachers and that worked a treat. Our daughter loved Ellie (man) and Maxime (man) and it was wonderful watching them teach our little one with so much care.

Conclusion: Unless your kid either speaks french , or is very independent / confident, I would be wary of dropping them off here for a long period.
Private lessons are very good.
Also, if under 5 I would say a half day is perhaps too long for them and a whole day definitely is too long (very physically and emotionally tiring)

1  Thank AndyandAnia
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Had 2 private lessons with Martine on recent trip to chamonix. The best ski instructor ever, brilliant English fantastic patience and would highly recommend

1  Thank gangleybird