“Not the best Mercure”

Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Argenton-sur-Creuse, France
“Not the best Mercure”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have stayed in many of the Mercure hotels throughout France - this one was the not the best.

We arrived, in was liking entering a huge station area. The staff were very helpful, when you could find them. Our room was okay, but have had better. There was a lot of noise from the hall as it is very long, also road noise.

We ate out in the town - overpriced and not very good.

Breakfast, hmm, okay, waitress wondering around with a jay cloth in her hand wiping down tables (crumbs to the floor, not into a small pan, not very hygenic!) the jay cloth appeared not to be rinsed between tables. It was left on one table when she went to do something else... not a good policy. I made the mistake of having the scrambled eggs - it should have been a warning when I saw that the egg dish had obviously been on the heater for a long time as the eggs at the bottom were baked brown - bad tummy all day, needed to stop in Italy and get some tablets. And, I have had food all over the world, this is the first time this has happened. There was a total indifference to the diners, I did want to say 'how far can you throw the plates before they break', why do they insist of banging clean plates down onto the buffet table. If they don't like the job, leave.

We had retired from running our own Chambres d'Hotes and to a high standard, from a hotel, I expect the same or even higher (if that were possible....)

This is an ideal place if you ski, and don't mind basic. There are signs all over telling you not to , skis, boots..... BUT, we will NOT stop there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I am very surprised by some of the poor reviews I have stayed here many times I also have had dealings with Emanuel (its his first name) and found him accommodating beyond expectations. The breakfast are excellent and have everything you could possibly imagine ( except Kippers but I was trying it on ) and were included in the room rate the room was spotless the minibar contents complimentary and the even the toiletries were complimentary. We have eaten in the restaurant several times before and this time the food was good but I did feel the menu was a little limited but what we had was good and reasonably priced but I do feel the wine list is too expensive

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the refurbished section of the main Hotel with a balcony, don't worry if its a...
Rio
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I did not have a good experience with this Mercure hotel.
After a long trip I arrived at this hotel around 1:30pm (Sep/15). The room was not available until 4pm.
The following day when taking a shower to drive to Beaune (3 hours drive), the water simply stopped. No more water in the middle of the shower. I was completely soaped.
What to do?
I waited more than one hour but the water did not return.
I tried to find an explanation with the manager, but he was busy.
Mr. Emanuel, the lobby attendant, told me the manager would send me an email with an explanation. I am still waiting for his email.
The hotel rooms are fine with a good view, but I can not accept this kind of service.
I will not come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BragaA
Batu Pahat, Malaysia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

first of all the stuff provide the accom for the other building, which we dont really like it. Then we ask for a change to the main building, the staff agree with that, in a very friendly way. Breakfast was really really good, to be frank in an amazing way. The room was very very tidy and luxury, good to recommend to everyone there, but not the other building's room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We arrived quite late as we missed our bus from Annecy however all was well as the hotel is located only 30 metres from the Chamonix Mount-Blanc railway station. We were checked-in very professionally and efficiently. Our room was well presented, the bed was very comfortable, only a couple of things with the room that were not as expected. There was no fridge in the room (I am not sure if this is standard), the shower was not so good and the bath towels were frankly terrible (very small and thin). I did not make any comments to the staff as I felt my issues were not resolvable by them at the time.
The restaurant team both evening and breakfast were well trained and very polite. One bit of feedback at breakfast was the quality and presentation of the hot food was not up to standard compared to the rest of the buffet.
Overall the location of the hotel was excellent and every staff member we came into contact with were excellent, if they fixed their water pressure and had better quality bath towels the overall rating would have been higher. Go to Chamonix we loved it and it reminded us of Queenstown, NZ only much bigger!

Tip: Great location and check out the local bar - café across the road - Elevation 1604 they are also a great team with excellent service, food and atmosphere.

1 Thank FreeMarcoPolo