“Recommended without hesitation!”

Chamonix Sport Aventure
Ranked #12 of 31 Tours in Chamonix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an All Mountain activities company based in the heart of the Chamonix Valley. In the winter our activities include Ski / Snowboard lessons, Vallee Blanche guided descents, Heliski, Ski Guiding, off-piste guiding, ski touring, ice climbing and Tandem Paraglide flights. Our Summer program includes: Tandem Paraglide flights- Paraglide coaching for qualified pilots. Canyoning, Via Ferrata, Mountaineering UIAGM Mountain Guide office we can also offer Mont Blanc ascents
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The short story is that I would recommend Franck and his company without any hesitation. If you want to do almost any summer or winter sporting activity in Chamonix, such as paragliding, skiing, climbing, canyoning, hiking or such like, then I would strongly recommend that you contact Franck. Franck, and his partner Lyn (hopefully I got the spelling right) and very friendly, hospitable, thoughtful, interesting and above all, highly experienced and competent. I felt very safe. I can't speak too highly of them.

The longer story is that I just spent a week in Chamonix and did three trips with Franck, all of which were great. Firstly, I spent a day with Franck on the Mer du Glace glacier both for the chance to see and explore the glacier and to do some practice of crampon techniques and learn some ice climbing skills. It was a great day out. The crampon techniques in particular have made me feel much more confident moving about on ice and snow. The ice climbing was also good fun and very interesting to try. It was also good to watch the other climbers present practising their techniques. The glacier itself is very interesting. It is perhaps one of the few landscapes in Western Europe which is still really in its natural state. It is a huge glacier when you are on it. There are lots of streams and even a small river flowing on the glacier with beautiful deep pools. Franck was certainly very easy company for the day. I also appreciated him taking the time to rope us up on the ladders to and from the Mer du Glace. If you have never been out on a glacier before, I highly recommend it, but you must have a guide like Franck. Franck also made sure that I had all the right gear which we rented together from his usual shop in Chamonix and I got a discount rental too.

The second trip with Franck was an hour-long paragliding flight from Brevent on the side of Chamonix opposite to Mont Blanc. Franck is a highly skilled and experienced paragliding pilot. We climbed high and had a spectacular view of Mont Blanc and the other mountains next to it. It was a perfect day for it - sunny and clear. Paragliding is a wonderful and unique way to see any landscape. There is no other thing quite like it - it is a totally different experience from being in a plane, helicopter or glider. It is pretty much silent, and there is nothing between you and what you are looking at. It is also very comfortable as you sit in a canvass sling. I very much recommend it to anyone. It is not frightening at all, and I am a fairly nervous person. Do do some research beforehand and make sure you have the right kit with you - some good sunglasses, good, thick gloves, a windproof jacket and so on. And do pay attention to the instructions that you get from Franck especially on take off. Franck will also video the flight for you which I highly recommend so that you have a good reminder of what you have seen. When we landed, Lyn was on the landing ground with a bottle of water which I very much appreciated!

The final and actually most memorable trip was a paraglide from the Aiguille du Midi with me flying tandem with Franck and his partner Lyn flying solo just before us. This is probably the most awesome paragliding flight in Europe. It is an amazing experience but definitely one you want to do with a very experienced pilot like Franck. Firstly, you take the cable car up to Aiguille du Midi which is a very good trip in itself. I would very much recommend that you consider buying a Chamonix Multipass from Compagnie du Mont Blanc before going to Chamonix. I paid 125 euro for a seven day pass and this gave unlimited trips on many cable cars and train rides in the valley. I went up Aiguille du Midi four times which alone would have cost over 200 euro if I had bought tickets each time. It also means you do not have to queue for tickets. On the day, Franck also bought us some special passes which allowed us to jump the very long queue.

When we got up top the view was awesome as it was a superb blue sky day. We went to the ice tunnel which leads to the snow ridge which you walk down to reach the take off spot. I had done this walk before but the extra practice on the Mer du Glace in the use of crampons came in very handy. I felt much more confident. Franck made sure we were ready and roped up. This walk down is definitely something to take seriously. I felt very safe, but you should not approach it with a cavalier attitude! You need to concentrate on each step. Down at the take off area we had a short wait for the right wind conditions and then we were off! The take off here is very exciting as you are almost immediately flying right past spectacular rocky cliffs, rock spires and cornices and ridges of snow. Then you turn back towards Aiguille du Midi and, best of all, you pass over the Boisson glacier. Looking down into the maze of crevasses and vast, tumbling blocks of ice is unforgettable. Then you turn again and head back towards the landing site in Chamonix. This is not a short flight though, as we were in the air for at least 40 minutes I should think.

To finish off, Franck, Lyn and I had a very pleasant lunch indeed near the station. They are both very good company and have had a lot of interesting life experiences.

2  Thank KeenHiker97

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Franck and the team were able to put a package together that suited our abilities and budgets. His flexible, reassuring, and fun approach made for a very memorable day in the alps.

3  Thank Jim M
Reviewed May 4, 2014

First my apologies for reviewing the lesson only now. My son and I had our first ski lesson, ever, on 22.03.2014. Our instructor is affectionately known as Lolo. This is my son's first encounter with snow, although he is 6 already. We are from Malaysia!
Lolo was ever so good with my son, who normally does not enjoy anything he cannot control. He enjoyed skiing so much that he would like to go on more skiing holidays.
What is more amazing is that he was confident enough to actually venture of on his own.
Lolo is a fantastic, kind and effective teacher. She is very good with children and I would recommend her to teach kids anytime.
Thank you once again for making the experience memorable and most enjoyable for both my son and myself.

Regards,

Sheerin Ameen

2  Thank Sheerin A
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Although it was the very end of the season it didn't matter. The scenery was absolutely stunning and we spent the whole day in awe. Franck was a wonderful guide and made the whole day feel safe and secure while offering us information about the mountains and glacier around us. I would definitely come back to do it again.

4  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We, my 3 children and I had a snowboard lesson with Franck. He collected us from the hotel and we went to sangalrd sports for boot hire, the service here was excellent and the staff were great with the kids.
The kids progressed quickly with francks help and he was very patient!
Looking forward to returning in the winter.

4  Thank Jane D