“A wonderful surprise”

Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Montreal, Quebec
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Early March 2012, I came to Chamonix to ski and had no arrangements for the first night. Fairly late at night, I saw the hotel while driving by, and stopped to inquire about availability. From the first moment, all went very well. There was a simple but cozy room for me -- with luxurious amenities -- very kind, smiling and accommodating staff, all questions answered, and a comfortable night's sleep. In the morning, I got directions to ski rental, to ski slopes, perfect parking for my car and a shuttle to the Brevant ski area if I did not want to use the car. Three minutes' walk to the center of town. Excellent breakfast. Subdued but elegant hotel with a great spa, pool and hot tub for apres ski -- with staff always ready to respond to every wish. I seldom do things spontaneously when I travel but I acted on a spur of the moment this time and I was very well rewarded. Please check this hotel out next time you are in Chamonix.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmericaninQuebec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Actually we have stayed at Albert 1er in summer late in July: my wife, infant baby and myself. We can only give our best recommendations to this venue and help them increase the rating on Tripadvisor, well deserved. Our spacious room was, as far as i recall now, #7 on the second floor of typical French chalet, looking out directly to the garden and Mont Blanc. It has the second sleeping room with single bed near the entry door, which can accomodate a kid or a babysitter. Mostly we have enjoyed tranquility of the hotel and food, both in a regular and especially gourmet restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor, as on the 3rd sloping roof is killing some space
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Fomych
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 1 week in a 2 bedroom suite in The Ferme. The rooms were attractive and spacious with simple furnishings that are a little worn eg. the shelves in the wardrobe were unstable and kept dropping down. A few of the staff are very friendly, mainly the man who transported us on the shuttle the 1 day that we used it and the man who helped with luggage on our arrival. That is the total of my possitive experience.
Despite being a guest at this hotel at a cost of thousands of pounds we were unable to secure a table in the restaurant on Valentines night even though we called the hotel over a week before our arrival. We were told that if a cancellation occured we would get a table but never did. The more casual restaurnat Maison Carrier is equally difficult. I have never found eating in a restaurant so difficult and upsetting. I made the mistake of calling down to the restaurant on our return from skiing one day to ask if we could have a table for dinner and promptly got a lecture telling me that they were full and how could I expect a table in such a 'famous' restaurant (this was the casual restaurant not 2 star) I also witnessed a family arrive on Sunday night asking for a table in the restaurant. Despite having 2 small children who were hungry, they were turned away.
Also the breakfasts are very poor. If you wish to eat pastries and bread every morning then its OK. There is also fruit, yogurts, boiled eggs that were cooked earlier. They have precooked scrambled eggs also but the 1 day that I couldnt face pastries any longer the eggs had run out and no chef to cook more! They had also run out of JAM, not a crime but when paying 20 euro each for breakfast a complete joke. There is little to no service at breakfast, only 1 member of staff to serve, clear and top up the buffet.
My summary of this hotel is that all of its focus is on promoting and maintaining the 2 star restaurant. Paying thousands of pounds to stay in the hotel does not give you access to the restaurants. The hotel service is minimal, especialy in Le Ferme where you rarely see any staff. It is no better than staying in a decent BB with restaurant. The restaurant Manager in Maison Carrier really needs to learn how to be welcoming and friendly. His colleague who serves breakfast completely alone with a not a hint of grumpiness can teach Le Directeur how to do this. Not 5 star service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank june p
Seattle
Reviewed February 20, 2012

For a ski area this is a great spot. Michelin rated restaurant had excellent food. Rooms were very nice and the staff was very accomiding. Breakfast is expensive but very nice. The best part is they drop and pick you up from any ski lift and this was fantastic. We are going back in 2013.

• Stayed February 2012
London
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have just spent a week in this fine hotel in their chalet 'soli'. This is a self contained wood chalet in the middle of the complex within easy access of all services that the hotel has. The staff were friendly and the service good. The minibus that they operate to take clients to and from the ski locations is a plus in Chamonix where no areas can be reached by foot. We ate dinner in their second restaurant 'la Maison Carrier' which had good quality local food. The staff were friendly in the restaurant but the Maitre D comes across as a bit too austere. Breakfast is also served in this restaurant with a buffet charged at Euro 21 per person. This breakfast rapidly becomes monotonous and I would have been delighted to pay extra to have an 'a la carte' hot breakfast.

Being in the Alps in winter the place is well heated - this causes some difficulty for the beds in the eves as it was hard to control temperature. That said better to be hot than cold when it is minus 17 outside.

We enjoyed our stay and can reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I love Chamonix and this hotel just made my stay all the better. Wee jam jars full of dried fruit and nuts, bathrobes, slippers, internet, warm cozy decor... It is very comfortable with fantastic views, Im not sure you could get a room with a bad view. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The pool is great with an indoor and outdoor section, just swim from one to the other and with a fire place right next to the lounge chairs and someone coming to take drink orders. Loved it! My only complaint would be that the jacuzzi is not so warm, that would be a huge plus after a day of skiing. Luckily the rooms have a jacuzzi as well so all was good!

Room Tip: We just got the standard room and it was fab!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We went to the Le Hameau Albert 1er for New Year.

I'll start with the positives - We arrived on 26/12 and check in was fine and the room was comfortable - only negative with the room is they could do with some hanging space to hang ski clothing on at the end of the day. A definite 5 star service they do offer is a shuttle to and from the hotel to the lifts. As Chamonix isn't a ski in, ski out resort this really does make a huge difference to the holiday. Breakfast was average for a french hotel, usual breads, pastries, yoghurts etc and the spa was average, pool and jacuzzi in one building and sauna is by the boot room! We walked in once and didn't use it.

Now on to our issues with the hotel: - I had a fall on our 4th day and woke up on the 5th day in agony and needed urgent medical help. My partner went to reception to get a doctors number and the person behind the desk said they didn't open until 9am and she would call our room. At 9.20 I was crying with pain and we'd not heard from reception so my partner went back downstairs and the same lady laughed and said she'd been too busy. A colleague realised she was not helping so took over and arranged for a member of the hotel staff to take me to the hospital by car. My partner stayed at the reception desk for over 30 mins whilst this was being sorted out. The person who drove us to the hospital was lovely and this was much appreciated. The hotel manager has since said via email that the member of staff who initially helped tried to help spent an hour trying to get me medical help but I can only write what my partner experienced and he was at the desk and did not witness her helping at all.

Our main issue with the hotel was at check out, we decided to leave a day early as I'd been to 2 hospitals with a suspected fractured neck so was in a lot of pain and was unable to ski any more during this holiday. I went down and presented my Visa Debit Card which had more than adequate funds only to be told by the Receptionist who failed in helping us the previous day that my card had been declined, I said that was impossible and could she try again. She did and again loudly explained it had been declined and did i have another card. I returned to the room and called my UK bank who said there were more than enough funds and they were simply doing a routine security check and the hotel need to call to get authorisation. We both went back to reception and explained this, the hotel called the authorisation centre but was told it was not possible to authorise my card. The hotel said there was a message on the machine telling them to retain my card and could I get cash from the local bank. This was impossible because it was a Sunday. They didn't keep my card and we gave them my partners Debit Card. This also was declined at which time we were very bemused and said this was impossible.

She explained at this point after we've been at the desk for over 90 minutes that there was possibly a problem with the machine! She then said loudly again my card didn't have the correct funds but my partners was ok but the machine wasn't working! She got authorisation on my partners card and said she'd email the receipt through tomorrow!

When we got back to the UK both of our cards had been blocked and we had to get new ones ordered and had 4 days minus debit cards which was a huge inconvenience.

I wrote to the Hotel Manager to outline our disappointment with the service and at this point she said the authorisation wasn't working. We've spent hours on the phone to the bank as the money was showing missing from my partners account. The bank after 2 weeks has sorted this and said the error was trying to process the cards as credit cards and not debit cards.

I've had numerous email correspondence with the hotel manager who hasn't apologised and accused me of being aggressive in my emails even though it was us who sorted this out and have now paid the bill in full and have spent hours trying to sort this out. We've been really distressed by the whole situation as we just wanted to pay our bill!
The hotel haven't sent us an apology or offered any compensation for any of the inconvenience we've experienced.

Aside from the problems we had, we've stayed in several Relais Chateaux properties over the last couple of years and feel this service is what let down this hotel. We didn't feel special or that most members of staff wanted to help us and for the price you pay and feel we should have been treated better when there were issues. I think that may be different for people who want to eat at the restaurants but we felt for the ski enthusiast most members of staff weren't interested - aside from the shuttle driver and the person who took us to the hospital.

It has the potential to be an amazing ski holiday experience but is a long way off.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple