“Not great”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Not great”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We chose to eat here because it was right in the centre but to be honest, the food it not great. I had the half chicken and mash. The chicken was fine but the mash but probably worse than I could make myself at home.

My husband paid 30 Euro for the sirloin - ha what a joke. It was probably the worst sirloin steak ever - drizzled with fat. Doubt it was a sirloin!

Foe 2 mains and 2 drinks it was 60 Euro's. Absolutely not worth it. Go somewhere else.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
“Worse than Chamouny Taverne”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Waited 45 minutes for a raw cold 19.50 euro burger and charged for a half chicken we did not have.

Friendly service, but the kitchen was dreadful.

• Visited November 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great service, great food”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I particularly wanted to review this restaurant in the centre of Chamonix because of the fantastic customer service we recieved when arriving with 4 adults, a toddler and a baby. The maitre d' was very welcoming, we were able to sit in an area among other families, a choice of high chairs was available, the food was great including a childrens menu which did not involve chips :o) but which was also presented with flair. The adults meals were also good and reasonable value when considering the location.

• Visited September 2013
ferney voltaire
“given it a few chances and now I will avoid.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Think I have eaten here four times. First two were OK, quite nice food and reasonable service.
Third time the service was poor but the food was good.
Fourth time (today) was pretty ropey. It was very busy at lunch and the staff seemed hassled. Tables took a while to be cleaned up. Napkins and other debris blew around in the breeze. My waiter (the same as time three) was curt and unfriendly. The other waiter was fine though. The food was OK except the pudding was a bit poor.

The toilets were disgusting. Once blocked and the other with dirty toilet roll on the floor. Some one had missed the loo. Pretty gross really and no sign of it being cleaned. No hand soap either.

I dunno, may be they were understaffed but I think I will avoid in future.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“The Fawlty Towers of Chamonix”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Luckily we relatively quickly realised the only way to get through this experience was to see the funny side else would have been totally furious.

The waiter took us to a free table at the edge of the restaurant. We were then left for ages.
Finally able to attract his attention, we asked for a drinks menu, which took another age to arrive. We'd been in the restaurant 30 minutes before we were even able to order a drink. The incompetent waiter, pleasant enough, but totally hopeless, happily hummed and sang to himself while ignoring any attempts we made to attract his attention. We were reminded of Manuel in Fawlty Towers but without the language difficulties, though the whole thing was so comical, it was reminiscent of Fawlty Towers in general.

He had no idea of what was on the menu and asked if a glass of wine was being ordered because he thought that was all that was there on the drinks menu which listed wine by both the glass and bottle.

He then attempted to show a large party to the table for four behind us before realising his mistake, comically now blocked in by them all, so struggling to send them back.

The fondue ordered at the same time as the drinks arrived before the drinks, set up incorrectly, with the flame in the wrong place, going outside the edge of the dish. We had to figure out how to correct it for ourselves.

When the drinks finally arrived, the beer was not poured and enough wine was poured to taste. After tasting the wine (admittedly one of the cheaper bottles, but still 19 euros) which was terrible (more like the quality you'd expect out of a flask than a bottle, but rough even by those standards) the waiter had already run off!

At another table, he asked the customers if they'd chosen, and they were replying, talking to thin air, not noticing that the moment he'd asked, he'd then run off to do something else instead without waiting for a response!

I might have had some sympathy in a really busy restaurant for some of the stuff that went on, but it was half empty!

We needed a little more bread to finish the fondue, so asked another waiter. (The original waiter was scarcely in evidence and pointless to ask him anyway.) After 10 minutes, still no bread had appeared. By now, we had figured out the seemingly only waiter in the whole place at all competent. We waved to him across the room, and bread appeared 15 seconds later.

It was a terrible meal compared to the equivalent meal we ordered in zermatt a week earlier (where we were full and satisfied) and we were left left feeling hungry and filling up on the second bowl of bread after the cheese had run out.

Yet another waiter appeared to remove our fondue. He had no idea how to put the flame out, so just took the dish containing the fondue and our plates and left us with the flame on the table. He came back a bit later and blew at the flame, failing to put it out. He went off again, presumably to consult with someone who knew what they were doing, and finally came back with a metal sort of cup device to put it out, and then took the fondue base away and left the implement on the table - a souvenir for us perhaps?

The bill did not appear until after over 15 minutes after we'd asked for it - any plans of requesting a desert at this establishment had evaporated long ago. (By now we had the stopwatch out, and were entertaining ourselves with bets on how long anything would take). So I asked for the bill again, actually having to get up from the table to attract the original waiter's attention - not something I've ever felt the need to do before...

I got a somewhat irritable response like I was the one in the wrong - ok, it was bad etiquette to get up and look for the waiter, but by now we'd totally lost patience with the situation. Rather surprisingly, the bill did arrive in a further 3 minutes and was actually correct!

As I emerged from the restaurant into the pouring rain, I realised with some regret that I had forgotten my umbrella and I would have to return back through the restaurant to fetch it. As I turned to go back in, to my surprise, I was immediately presented with the umbrella. Needless to say, it was not by a member of staff, but by another customer, who we'd been joking with about the service.

• Visited August 2013