“Plenty of other places to try first”
Review of La Maison Carrier

La Maison Carrier
Ranked #18 of 227 Restaurants in Chamonix
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Installed on small chairs like the pasture and under the old wood paneling of the reconstructed farmhouse is a cuisine to be enjoyed on checkered tablecloths our country restaurant. Back in time to rediscover the old-those dishes simmered by our grandmothers, who hummed hours on the wood stove - is what we offer to our guests. Summer on the terrace facing Mont Blanc, the winter near the terminal, high Savoyard fireplace, is enchaineront popular dishes of popular cuisine: calf's head invigorates sauce, grilled pigs feet, the bowl Chicken liver, the roast lamb on the spit, pike quenelles in crayfish sauce, Piedmontese risotto or fried whitefish fillet. Of course, the chef Stephane Gassot did not forget to revisit some cheese specialties and bring up to date the classic old desserts. Tasty, tasty, real Proust's madeleine that will make you relive with emotion the exquisite flavors of the cuisine of yesteryear Alps. Perpetual ode to our ancestors who cooks ends with this "vre" garni thousand pies and gourmet coffee that can be enjoyed chocolates and cookies, all prepared in the kitchens of our establishment. In the dining room, our director Serge Ratton will offer you the most suitable wine to your desires and your dishes with a selection of fine wines from France, including wines from regional varieties of the best winemakers.
Biarritz, France
“Plenty of other places to try first”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Considering the reputation of this restaurant there are so many nicer restaurants in the valley.

In every restaurant I have ever eaten I have always been satisfied with quantities of food, in fact, I usually have to leave half a plate. So I was very disappointed when the lamb (which had to be ordered for a minimum of two people) was nowhere near enough food for me. The rack of lamb was tasty but most of it was fat.

If you want traditional Savoyard food then there are lots of places you can go to get just as nice a meal at a third of the price.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank BiarritzTaxi

Oslo, Norway
“Grandmother's kitchen”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My first choice in Chamonix, bar none! Eating here is a reasonable revelation, most times, and the place is soothing to the eye: Mr. Carrier obviously loved his grandmother and never forgot her food, although he grew up in the kitchen of his parents' renowned Albert 1 restaurant (next door, you should go there, too). When time came for Mr Carrier to create something on his own, he built this fantastic "old farm"-like hotel complex with beautiful old wood decor (selected from three or four old farm houses torn down, and you would never have guessed there is a concrete core underneath). Centrally in the restaurant area, he erected a traditional smoke chimney for ham and saussiges (it eventually caught fire, as wood does burn when treated to high temperatures), I am sure his grandmother would have loved that one, too. Every single dish that I have eaten here has been somewhere between intereresting and wonderful, some may be a trifle too special for my urban wife, she reads the menu carefully now. The wine list covers a range from reasonable to expensive, the service has been excellent every time bar one. Overall, restaurants do not come much better than this !

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Thomas J
“Fantastic! My new favourite restaurant in Chamonix”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I only found this restaurant this year (have been coming to Chamonix for 10 years) and what a find it is. The food, setting, service and atmosphere is all top notch. It is also very reasonable too given the quality.

Would definitely recommend to all, I can't wait to go back in May.

• Visited March 2013
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The restaurant is very pretty and benefits from its location of a very nice hotel. I would second the comments of earlier reviews regarding being 'self satisfied' in itself and any comments on disappointment or problems with the food we had were ignored. We waited 49 mins for our food( after being informed the meal would take 25 mins) and were left in the upstairs of the restaurant with no ambience, which if it had been explained initially we could have decided if we wanted a lonely meal.(which we did not)
Our waiter was lovely but the Maitre d' was cold and blatantly turned away and ignored me when I explained to him that my meal and my daughters was fine but my wife's was not good and consisted of a Rack of lamb which was mostly fat and not what you would expect in a lot cheaper restaurant.

Basically the restaurant needs to try a lot harder rather than live off the reputation of its neighbour and the Maitre d' needs to understand its the clients that need to be happy for the reputation to be good. If there is a problem, they need to recognise and respond not ignore the comment. We would never return, whereas if dealt with correctly it's easy to resolve. Why are the simple things hard?

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lordgpd
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great Savoyard restaurant”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

A pleasant way to spend the evening in this cosy restaurant.

The food was great and very well presented. A great selection of wines, which were surprising not as expensive you would have thought for such a high end establishment. Staff were very polite, attentive and most helpful when it came to selecting from the array of cheeses at the end of the meal.

Certainly worth a visit, although calorie wise probably best as a one off.