“Make sure to book in high season”
Review of Munchie

Munchie
Ranked #23 of 233 Restaurants in Chamonix
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I've been going to this restaurant for almost 8 years. It was such a breath of fresh air after experiencing the usual mediocre 'quaint' mountain fare or stodgy fast food. It actually prompted me to buy a place round the corner, although this may've also had something to do with the surrounding views. I've since sold my place but I still return frequently to Chamonix and always to Munchie. Tasty, healthy Asian food which always seems to arrive quickly even when the place is packed and they've expanded the place this winter. The staff run around like crazy.

Try the sushi rolls, not authentic but delicious, nontheless. The beef spring rolls are good. I don't really go for the signature duck dish as I find there are more interesting things on the menu. There isn't much room between the tables and it can be a little pricey, but you're not going to eat there every night... probably! Certainly beats raclette.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Five of us snagged last-minute reservations for a pricey and amazing 4 course tasting menu for NYE. Almost every morsel was delicious, from the pâté to the salmon slices, the scallop, asparagus, champagnes, wines paired perfectly ... C'est la vie!

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We loved Munchie for it's amazing food, great service and fun atmosphere. We loved ALL the dishes we ordered all 3 times.
Our favourites were the yummy savoury Korean pancakes, the marinated Edamame beans, the fried tofu main dish, the Salmon fillet main dish, and the vegetarian sushi rolls. I even ordered a cafe latte which was fantastic!
Run by a Swedish team, this is a classy establishment situated opposite the other top notch restaurant in a Chamonix, the Cap Horn. Our two favourite restaurants in Chamonix with the best chefs in town. Don't forget to book!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Based on the previously read reviews, I had high expectations for Munchie. We went as a family of four. We had to make our reservation 4 days in advance.

Overall our experience was mixed. The food was generally very good and the ambience was nice.

However they are trying to accommodate way too may people at the same time. They seem to be taking advantage of their popularity by crushing people into tables, which have no business being there. Our table was squeezed between two other tables and neither we, nor the other patrons, could get out of their seats without resorting to moving the table or asking other patrons if we could squeeze by. You don’t expect this from a top restaurant.

The serving of the rice dishes was quite peculiar. They served the main dish in a bowl with small side dishes of rice. It was impossible to put the rice into the bowl without making it get swallowed up by the curry. I like to have a large eating plate where I can balance the rice and curry. The tables are quite small and there would have been no more room for another plate.

My only other complaint would be how our server told us that we only had 5 minutes to vacate our table. Our table had been booked for 7.30pm and at 9.30pm our server told us that their next sitting was waiting for the table and that we would have to leave within 5 minutes. It is my first experience in France when a server would hurry up a customer to finish their meal! She therefore would not take an order for dessert and didn’t even show us the dessert menu!!

I would only go back if we were guaranteed a nicer table and a more leisurely service.

2  Thank Colin G
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Happily the restaurant allowed me to book book an 8pm dinner slot as we had a babysitter and could not do the traditional times offered.

V busy restaurant which was full for earlier setting and then again for second seating at 9. We were squished into a small area which was ok.

I had the sushimi special for entree which unfortunately came covered with sesame seeds to which I am allergic. Given I had not specified my allergy (as the description of the meal did not describe sesame in any way) I accepted this was my mistake and was looking forward to the main. To my surprise, a second small entree was delivered shortly after with a new sushimi dish sans the sesame. Not expected but v appreciated (and yummy).

My husband had soup for entree and found it very tasty.

My steak main was superb but the lamb was ok.
Deserts were lovely.

Mediocre wine list with few half bottles on offer and not a lot of mid-range wines.

Overall, would definitely go back as it was good fodd and great value, but expect a little craziness rather than a relaxed elegant affair...