“What a dirty dive! Who padded ratings??”
Review of Chalet les Frenes

Chalet les Frenes
Ranked #11 of 30 Chamonix B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2011

While relatively inexpensive, this place was a rip off. 5 couples shared 2 dirty bathrooms, which of course got worse. After 8 people left, still no cleaning! No top sheet on the bed. One of my windows has no curtain, and I am on ground floor. Lighting too dim to even read by. Owners show no pride of ownership. Paper-thin walls we found during the night while one of many neighbors snored. After 4 weeks in Europe, this was by far the worst, and I can put up with a lot. Please replace toilet brushes and provide spare toilet paper. Not to mention basic hand soap. Beautiful scenery. (my mother always told me to say something nice). They ran out of croissants for a family of 4, giving them burnt toast. The owners were gone golfing, leaving a nice young girl in charge. Unfortunately I had to show her how to remove grinds so the coffee maker would work. The owner walked in our room while we were reading to show our room to someone else - he knocked but then walked right in!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
philhennem, Owner at Chalet les Frenes, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

This couple obviously didn't know what they had booked. Firstly, they were disappointed that they didn't have en-suite bathrooms. It is very clear on the website where they booked that bathrooms are shared.

"A rip off"? At 30€ per person per night for bed and breakfast, what are they expecting? The Ritz? Go into Chamonix and you will pay 20€ for a bunk in a shared room and not get breakfast.

There are in fact 3 bathrooms shared buy 5 rooms and they are regularly cleaned. Each bed has clean linen (a fitted bottom sheet, a duvet cover and a pillow case) so I don't really understand the comment about no top sheet. In Europe, we have no top sheet, the duvet cover is cleaned after every use. Their linen was clean. They didn't air their feelings on this, they chose to help themselves to extra linen from our private linen cupboard. Thanks! Extra laundry to do.

Walls are not paper thin, they are in fact 2 layers of 12mm fermacell fibre board with insulation between, (I put them up myself). I cannot be responsible for someone snoring in another room, sorry but some people snore, some don't - maybe you do.

"Please replace toilet brushes and provide spare toilet paper" ???? Replace toilet brushes? I don't understand this complaint, sorry. Spare loo paper? There is always spare loo paper, sometimes people use a lot and even steal whole rolls so if that's the case and there's no toliet paper, you can always ask. But they were Americans and I guess to mention the word "toilet " would send them into a fit of puritanical embarrassment.

I have no recollection of walking into their room. Maybe when they arrived, they asked for towels and went upstairs to get them, a minute later I would have returned with said towels and knocked on their door before handing them through the door.

I have been doing this long enough to know that for some people, you can never do enough, or get anything right. If someone is determined to be unhappy, they will be.

Oh, and they asked for a discount for cash. I of course refused.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Chalet les Frenes for only two days, unfortunately because then we took a train to visit Nice afterwards. Biggest mistake! We wish we could have stayed in Chamonix at the Chalet for our entire 2 weeks instead. The Chalet is so quaint and comfortable, and offered at an exceptionally great price given that a full breakfast is also included. The owners are so friendly and accommodating and made us feel right at home. They went above and beyond what was expected of them during our stay to make sure we had a comfortable stay and enjoyed ourselves. The view from the bedroom is incredible. Mont Blanc is in plain sight, it was breathtaking. We both felt so at peace. I hope we will be back soon, and this is the only place I will accept staying at.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Akugler
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I came here to ski for the weekend after a business trip. Unfortunately, the snow had melted and I was close to canceling my trip -- but I'm really glad I didn't. The Chalet had a beautiful setting in the Chamonix Valley, and the owners could not have been more hospitable. I arrived late at night to a warm and cozy room. Breakfast the following day was delicious and copious -- pan de chocolat, cereal, tea, juice, fresh-baked bread... One of the owners was also around to give me suggestions to do for my non-ski weekend. He also loaned me a bike to get around town (less than 10 minutes away), and let me borrow a pair of sneakers because I had forgotten to pack non-dress shoes! I had to leave early the following day, and they helped me to arrange a cab and set the oven timer so I had a warm pan de chocolat for the trip back to Geneva. My room was small, but the bed was incredibly comfortable and had 2 windows looking out onto the lawn. The bathroom was spotless.
The location is not ideal for going to a pub or skiing, but there are buses in the morning if you're skiing, and town is not such a long walk away. And everything else more than makes up for it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank me6ra
Reviewed April 9, 2011

The Chalet les Frenes is a quality place, the views surrounding the Chalet were amazing, everything you need is a short walk away, for skiing its right in the middle of choice, also party time is a short 10 minute ride to Chamonix central, Michele who welcomed us at the Chalet was totally the perfect hostess, friendly, outgoing and made us feel right at home, I can't recommend this place enough !!

Room Tip: All are adequate !!
Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThomasP26
Reviewed March 30, 2011

If you like to stay in a more authentic chalet with a personal atmosphere than you're here at the right address. Cosy twin rooms, basic breakfast, great views, quiet surroundings but easy transportation to Chamonix center and very friendly hosts.
This is a place where I'd come back in summer for some hiking/mountain biking!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Dinomarino's review sums it up nicely. It's potentially a decent, good value chalet close-ish to chamonix.
The owner needs to get the service right and make the guests feel welcome. I genuinely felt like an uninvited guest in someone's house. To find the place empty, unlocked and unclean was a really bad first impression. Not to mention the dog!
If you're running a place like this you should get the basics right.

A small change in attitude and this would be a perfectly good place to stay. Suggest any future visitors have clear dialogue with owner before arriving. That might do it??!

• Stayed: March 2011
philhennem, Owner at Chalet les Frenes, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Sorry you found the place unlocked but it is a B&B, people come and go all the time and guests frequently leave the chalet unlocked (as you guys did).

And yes, the skiroom may have been a little untidy but we had to leave early that morning before outgoing guests had left and only had the opportunity to finish cleaning when you guys had already arrived.

And the dog! You knew we had a dog, I had told you in emails previously. Seems a bit petty to complain about something you had been forewarned about no? Most people love Pepper as he is such a good natured animal.

Reviewed March 11, 2011

It's all there but it ain't all that!

As we entered the Chalet we had to check whether or not we were in the right place, it looked live in and there was a good reason for that..... it was! It turned out to be OK just not what we were expecting.

Overall review of the place is that it is just below average.

Our rooms were clean and had everything we needed. The owner seemed to think he was doing us a favour by letting us use the Lounge area/ dog bedroom. Apparently if you are not a large group he doesn't let you do this, (would have been very disappointing without it).

Kitchen wasn't the cleanest, bath/ shower rooms were serviceable.

Taxi's are expensive and as this place is just off the main road and a good few miles from Chamonix centre you need to factor this into costs.

The hot tub was just a garden ornament. We didn't use it as we just didn't fancy crossing the muddy garden in just a towel. Take your trainers and a torch if you plan to use it.

If you just want a place to sleep and dump kit, it works.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

If this client didn't get what he was expecting, he should read more carefully what he is booking. Of course the place is lived in - myself and my girlfriend "live in". I thought this was pretty obvious for a B&B. You do you think would be doing your breakfast?

I am sorry the client had to walk across wet grass to get to the hot tub but in spring when the snow melts, the garden does get a little soggy. A minor problem that donning a pair of shoes would solve